which vrs battery - confused

my battery appears to be on its way out

when i check my battery from my reg on tayna.co.uk it suggests an AGM battery is what my 2016 petrol vrs takes, but when i look at the battery if came with from new it is an EFB battery (MOLL 12v 69Ah 360A)

any thoughts on what exactly i should order? (plan to buy bosch)

thanks

I replaced mine yesterday and the difference is like night and day. I fitted a bosch S5 A08 which turns the engine over far quicker than the varta battery. I got mine from Amazon for £125 quid and arrived in 2 days.  You do have to code it but the selection for bosch battery wasn't a choice so mine is left as varta. Serial number for my old battery was just lots of ones 111111111. I changed it to reflect the bosch battery and changed the Ah to 70ah. It brought up all sorts of errors when connected for 30 seconds  even the reverse camera not working then all back to normal. Mines a 2016 vrs diesel BTW. 

Edited by arnold
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, arnold said:

You do have to code it but the selection for bosch battery wasn't a choice so mine is left as varta.

Out of interest, is that something you can do yourself or do you need diagnostics?

Thank you. :)

AGM is a better, faster working harder wearing battery over the same size EFB. Both will work just fine if you have EFB already.

There is no difference between Bosch and VARTA. They come from the same manufacturing plants off the same tooling using the same materials. 

Edited by BigEjit

cheers for the advice

ordered a bosch S5 A08. how difficult is it to remove and refit a battery? (i have obdeleven for the coding bit)

was keen to get it ordered sooner rather than later with all the border shenanigans between NI and rest of UK happening at the moment!

Remove the jacket from the old battery it pulls off. Undo the bolt at the front of the battery  which has a clamp holding the battery in. Undo 2 10mm clamps  positive and negative remove battery. Reversal is the harder bit trying to get the battery clamp in position but all in all 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Every day is a school day. I had no idea a battery would need to be coded to a car. Every battery I've ever replaced, aside from radio codes, has just been a simple old off and new on affair. 

Why on earth would a battery need to be coded?

8 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

Every day is a school day. I had no idea a battery would need to be coded to a car. Every battery I've ever replaced, aside from radio codes, has just been a simple old off and new on affair. 

Why on earth would a battery need to be coded?

The battery management system, needs to know the battery has been changed to adjust the charging curve for the new battery. The BMS is tied into the alternator freewheel clutch, and the start stop system.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

The battery management system, needs to know the battery has been changed to adjust the charging curve for the new battery. The BMS is tied into the alternator freewheel clutch, and the start stop system.

Thank you for the information. I had no idea that would be needed.

• 2 weeks later...