The Columbus MIB 3 has gone silent?

Hi

This afternoon when I was to go home and started the Kodiaq there was absolutely no sound coming from the radio or apple car play or anything within the infotainment..

Even on full volume nothing...

I have tried rebooting the columbus system about 10 times without any improvement at all...

Tried to restart the car..nothing..

I have rechecked all settings so nothing there could keep the system silent (then again it worked fine when I parked the car and nothing was changed...

So Im a bit without clue...

Anyone that have experienced this or have any good tip on what to do??

It is a new Kodiaq 2021..

Best regards Micael

Can't offer much help I'm afraid. My only thought is you don't have Canton by any chance? If so then check the fuse for the amplifier hasn't blown.

6 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Can't offer much help I'm afraid. My only thought is you don't have Canton by any chance? If so then check the fuse for the amplifier hasn't blown.

Hi

Yes I have the Canton system...

Where would I find the fuse for the amplifier??

Actually I haven't had issues with fuses for some 18 years with other new cars so that never even crossed my mind...

But the system display shows up and i can see radio channel settings and such...would that not be the same fuse as the amplifier then?

thanks for the tip

26 minutes ago, linni said:

Hope this works for MIB3 too - try soft reset. When headunit switched on hold down the power button for about 10 secs until headunit reboots completely.

No sorry that did not help at all...The system rebooted when doing as you say..but the system is still silent...Thanks for the tip..

Does handsfree work? Or navigation announcements? I remember having kind of same problem once or twice. Adjusting radio volume it adjusted handsfree volume instead even me not using the handsfree at all at this time. You can see the volume source on the volume progress ribbon on virtual cockpit. Try to find sound or volume or siilar settings.

3 hours ago, Micke1967 said:

Hi

Yes I have the Canton system...

Where would I find the fuse for the amplifier??

Actually I haven't had issues with fuses for some 18 years with other new cars so that never even crossed my mind...

But the system display shows up and i can see radio channel settings and such...would that not be the same fuse as the amplifier then?

thanks for the tip

It was a better educated guess than I first thought - I'll bet it's the amplifier rather than the head unit that's the problem.

The amplifier itself may be faulty, but best checking the fuse first. You have to remove the glovebox, the fuse box is behind it.

You'll find the info you need on page 206 of the online user manual ( just look up fuses in the index if you have the hardcopy manual )

It's fuse number 43 - "music amplifier".

You're obviously best contacting your dealership - if it's blown then there has to be a reason why.

Hi all and thanks for feedback and tips...

Strangely enough today this morning the stereo system worked again like nothing have happened??

So was something reset during the night...

The only thing I can come to think of is if there was a system update of some kind yesterday...

But I actually did look for that in the settings yesterday and could not see anything..(since the mib 3 have automatic updates of maps and systems according to the manual and it also states that the columbus should not be used when updating)

As answer to the question on navigation and phone...none of that had audio either yesterday...now it works as it should...

I guess I need wait and see where this goes...I would not like it to go silent on a long trip for sure..

I have emailed the reseller so I hope he might have a guess..Then again the Columbus MIB 3 seem rather new so perhaps hoping for to much..

Anyway thanks and take care

Had the same issue.

Come to find out it's related to the Wireless Android Auto.

As soon as the Wireless Android Auto is connected on the car it sees that you are like in a constant cell phone call ,that is why the car is muting everything of it's systems.

Just drop out the top hidden menu and you should have a muted sign posted there .Push it and voila the radio of the car is working with the Wireless Android Auto turned on.

When the phone is connected with the Wireless Android Auto to the car it makes no sense to do the reset of the MIB system, As soon as it starts it connects to the phone that is why you had this issue even after restarting.

I had the issue on the Amundsen MIB 3. 

21 hours ago, Iasmin90 said:

Had the same issue.

Come to find out it's related to the Wireless Android Auto.

As soon as the Wireless Android Auto is connected on the car it sees that you are like in a constant cell phone call ,that is why the car is muting everything of it's systems.

Just drop out the top hidden menu and you should have a muted sign posted there .Push it and voila the radio of the car is working with the Wireless Android Auto turned on.

When the phone is connected with the Wireless Android Auto to the car it makes no sense to do the reset of the MIB system, As soon as it starts it connects to the phone that is why you had this issue even after restarting.

I had the issue on the Amundsen MIB 3. 

Hi and thanks for the tip.

I have Apple Car Play but I guess one can assume its about the same...

My stereo did play sound as usual morning the next day..very strange....

So I guess something in the car was reset during more hours time - but what??

Actually when it was silent..removing the apple car play clicking on the "Skoda" app and dissconnect the phone was one of the things I tried-without results...

And if it was due to the phone I guess that should have done the trick but..no..

And the radio and everything was silent so..

The reseller did not have any answer on this at all either...

So now Im just hoping for it never to happen again I guess...

best regards Micael

I've had a similar issue several times by now: while driving and listening to music via wireless Apple Carplay (either music from phone's internal storage or via Spotify) the sound will simply mute by itself and even if I switch to radio, play with the sound volume (which is shown to be increasing/decreasing) or with the mute button or activate parking sensors the sound doesn't come back, everything is muted until I turn off the engine and wait for several minutes (turning it back on immediately doesn't solve the issue, neither a soft reset).

By chance however I discovered that if I get a phone call while all sounds were muted I can answer it and the 'bug' is gone, all sounds are 'back' again.

I'm hoping that this issue (along with several others MIB3 related) will be fixed with a future update ASAP.

Kodiaq MY21 + Columbus MIB3 + Canton

On 12/01/2021 at 17:51, FilipC said:

I've had a similar issue several times by now: while driving and listening to music via wireless Apple Carplay (either music from phone's internal storage or via Spotify) the sound will simply mute by itself and even if I switch to radio, play with the sound volume (which is shown to be increasing/decreasing) or with the mute button or activate parking sensors the sound doesn't come back, everything is muted until I turn off the engine and wait for several minutes (turning it back on immediately doesn't solve the issue, neither a soft reset).

By chance however I discovered that if I get a phone call while all sounds were muted I can answer it and the 'bug' is gone, all sounds are 'back' again.

I'm hoping that this issue (along with several others MIB3 related) will be fixed with a future update ASAP.

Kodiaq MY21 + Columbus MIB3 + Canton

Hi Filip

Unfortunately it sound exactly like my problem...even if it only happened once so far..But I have not been driving much since last so...

And no smar****ch here either...

However even if I would have a smar****ch...really?? I mean if the car stereosystem can not handle that a passenger or driver have a smar****ch then it should be back to the drawing board I think..

I had an issue with Huawei smar****ch.  Nothing new, web is filled with similar problems.

Too many connections between too many devices. If one half failes, the others go the same way. 

4 minutes ago, linni said:

I had an issue with Huawei smar****ch.  Nothing new, web is filled with similar problems.

Too many connections between too many devices. If one half failes, the others go the same way. 

wow...insane how sensitive these systems are nowadays..pretty vulnerable to say the least...perhaps the old stereosystems of 90s where better in this sense...even though they of course lacked and had no streaming and fourth...oh well...

1 minute ago, Micke1967 said:

perhaps the old stereosystems of 90s where better in this sense

Naah. Wouldn`trade. The cassette players which didn`t have even reverse functionality were pita. 30 or 45 minutes to eject and change the side. And all the others which followed until the time you could listen to music for several hours without changing cassette / CD.

Returning to smart watches - it`s all about the settings, so everyting can be configured.

This problem has happened to me several times. My Kodiaq is 2018 with the Amundsen navigation unit and the CANTON sound system. I’m not sure if a smar****ch (in my case the Apple Watch 4) plays a role in that. I use Apple Carplay with a wireless adapter (but a similar problem has happened before without a wireless adapter). This usually happens after I receive a call via whatsapp or facebook messenger. After the call is completed, the system remains muted, instead of returning to the song (or radio station) that was played before the call. Whatever I tried, there is no sound, not even switching to another radio station or other source in Amundsen, disconnecting carplay, etc. Restarting the iPhone or Amundsen didn’t help as already explained here (because it returns to the same state). The only thing that helps is turn off the car, lock it, wait a while (today that was enough for 1 min) and start it again.

Every now and again mine chooses to go silent. I noticed that it seems to be waiting for a voice command, even though I haven't pressed the button. I have to press the voice button, and then close the request. It's then back to normal.

• 1 year later...

I just put a massive whinge on the Superb 3 forum about this too. Started with Radio playing (while waiting for Columbus to sort its life out and fire up properly) and when Carplay connected, it as playing through the phone - but controlled by the car. Activated bluetooth audio which cancelled carplay, reconnected carplay and all was ok. The drive after that was in silence. 

Will try the voice button or "Okay Laura" and see what that does. 

hold down the power button for about 10 secs until head unit reboots completely.

Whilst rebooting the system won't help in this case, for future use when a reboot might be necessary, make sure you press the on/off button until you hear a loud pop. Sometimes this can take longer than 10 seconds and if you don't hear the pop, then the system hasn't rebooted.

23 hours ago, olderman1 said:

Is what after the logo returned ?

The pop - I've never heard it when holding the button down to reset so just wanted to make sure I'm holding the button long enough.

I read sometime/somewhere you need to hold it until the Skoda logo appears but if I need to hold it for longer to wait for a pop then maybe that'll be more successful.