Upgrading Head Unit and Display

I've got a 2017 1.6 TDi S, which has a combined display and head unit (L53SK2 - I think it's called Swing in Skoda Speak). 

I've bought an upgraded head unit and display (Amundsen) which came without any cables. Whilst the main harness that connects to the back of the Swing should just connect into the back of the new head unit, I don't have the cable that runs from the head unit to the display (because the L53SK2 is just a one-piece unit). It's the one in the attached pic, and I'm struggling to find a part number for this cable (the parts catalog that this picture came from does not have the part number listed - it's just labelled "array") and Skoda are being very slow in getting back to me...

Any help appreciated!

Cable.JPG

So you dont currently have a unit in the glovebox?  There are a number of cables that run to the back of the glovebox unit. 

Something like:

Main harness (big square)

Screen connection

gps

radio

dab

Canton (probably not on yours)

You should have the big square plug and either radio or radio+dab.  gps can be added via aftermarket gps antenna that will need to then stick in your dash somwhere if you want to use nav.

after taking the screen out of the dash what do the cables look like and where do they run?  Could just be as simple as rerouting the main harness to the glovebox then getting hold of that extra cable to connect the screen.

tl:dr

Maybe a scrappy can help?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your input @MarkyG82 

You are correct - I don't currently have a unit in the glovebox. The cables that would run to the back of the glovebox unit currently run to the back of the big one-piece unit (attached image) which correlate with lots of the connections on the back of the Amundsen glovebox unit I've bought (other attached image) and display unit (last attached image).

The big rectangular one is pretty obvious.

The yellow one should be the same, as should the double white one.

My guess is that the pink connector on the glovebox unit will connect to the back of the display (I need this cable). 
Not sure about the round blue and black connectors? Presumably one of them is the equivalent of the round metal connector on the back of the L53SK2 unit I currently have (bottom left of the first picture)

I can see that there are some extra black rectangular connections on the back of the Amundsen unit - not sure what they're for? GPS? 

L53S_connections.JPG

Amundsen_connections.JPG

Display_connections.JPG

Tried searching for what each socket is for and found THIS.

The site look quite helpfull but mainly good for if you have more of the cables already fitted maybe.  Which you dont.

I think either the blue or black is gps.  The other of the two is dab and the double is fm.  Yellow one could be for steering wheel control so that leaves the pink for the screen as you said.

Do you have dab in your current setup?  That could explain the last connection on your original unit.

From memory the last rectangle black plug is for canton.  I had this on my amundsen that I retrofitted to my octavia and it wasnt used.

• Thanks 1

My current unit has DAB, but no GPS. 

Digging around myself, I found this: 

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-mib2-infotainment-conversion-into-2018-s-models.359659/

Looks like someone has done this for a 2018 Golf, so I'm optimistic it should be doable for the Superb. 

• Like 1

For the headunit/brains:

- Quadlock is mic, speakers, power, CAN-bus etc

- Yellow fakra is USB

- Pink fakra is display (LVDS?)

- Blue fakra is GPS

- Dual white fakra is FM and AM/FM diversity antennas

- Black fakra is DAB

- Other rectangular connector is probably MOST (optical cables, only used for an amp or virtual cockpit)

On the display:

- Connector for power and communication (with the brains)

- Fakra for video input from the brains

Pretty sure it'll be possible to retrofit but you might want to talk to someone like ChinaRF http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/chinarf to see if they can make all the fakra cables you need.

Otherwise, you can try tracing the existing wires to see if they pass the glovebox or not?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any luck finding an already made cable for a reasonable price? I'm looking to do the same for a Fabia III. The Chinese cables on Ali are most of them for the old quadlock to the new one. I am really looking to do the cable myself but need to find out the pinout of the screen to the head unit.

This looks about right and is a very reasonable price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840149507.html

Few options depending how much of a kit you want and if the original radio has one or two antennas.

There is some of the display pinout here: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/mib2-display-screen-wiring-need-help.447215/

If you're serious about creating your own loom, I'd suggest buying an hours access to https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/ to check the wiring etc...