DSG Thermostat Replacement

I have been investigating the cause of a failure of my Superb to reach operating temperature under normal conditions, and found on the forum that the most likely cause is the DSG thermostat. I am OK with replacing this item, and after checking several videos and removing the airbox under the bonnet I have identified the thermostat down to the right of the engine. So after checking with various suppliers I found the same thermostat (visually speaking) on Amazon; however, it says that this thermostat is not suitable for the Skoda Superb - see attached screen grab. But it does LOOK the same, or are there various versions of the same item? Do I actually have to remove the old one and find a part number, or can someone tell me if this one on Amazon is OK or not? Other suppliers seem to think that this type of thermostat is not suitable too, but don't give any indication which the right one should be.

I would be really grateful for any help on this!1867022481_SkodaDSGThermostat.thumb.png.319ac7fdb63835422a2200e7d36daca3.png

If you have a look at this link you will see the part No TH575 from BEHR down the list.

coolant cooling system - Superb(SUP) [EUROPA 2011 year] (7zap.com)

So yes, this is the correct part for your Superb.

Alternatively it's available even cheaper here :-

Coolant Thermostat fits AUDI A3 8P 1.8 06 to 13 Firstline 1K0121113A Quality New 5038068512468 | eBay

The same part if you look down at the compatibility list.

Edited by PipH
  • Like 1

Thanks PipH, that's reassuring and really helpful. I think I'll order it from Amazon despite the price, as I've had a few bad experiences with buying from Ebay recently; and on your parts compatibility list it doesn't mention the make "Firstline", although Behr is there and other manufacturers I've heard of. Also, checking compatibility on the Ebay site shows that is not suitable for my car, even though the part number matches the parts list! I've attached the screenshot.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for your help, thnak you again.952394824_2021-01-13(1).thumb.png.95791b011b2f57d343fc12b30444bd35.png

• Like 1

Just to wrap this up, I ordered the part from Simply Auto Parts via Amazon (marketplace) for less than £15 with free postage, arrived in two days, and I fitted it on Sunday. It was a bit of a struggle getting one of the hoses off the cooler, but took all told less than an hour. Started the car, temperature hit 90 degrees after about 15 minutes and has stayed there. First time ever that the car has been at operating temperature during my ownership! Very happy.

So big thanks to PipH for his help and advice, and I would encourage anyone with low temperature problems to first look at this really inexpensive fix :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just about to replace DSG  thermostat as also having temperature issues & just wondering how much coolant is lost when disconnecting the old stat ? 
Want to make sure I have enough before starting 

TIA 👍

FYI lots of aftermarket options available through the factor market  from numerous brands ( mine was as Gates brand ) 

odd as my local Skoda dealer did not stock the stat & advised me never ordered / sold 1 🤔

Got no clamps & bungs so may loose a bit more ☹️
no special knowledge / process needed to replace stat I assume , remove / replace & top up coolant ? 
dont want to cause any more issues / problems 🤦‍♂️

All done & hardest part was having to take down the undertray when I dropped a screw 🤦‍♂️
thanks for all the advice /responses, much appreciated as always 👍 
run up for a bit but did not warm up till I took it for a run , best test  will be when I go to work @ the crack of dawn in the morning 🤞it sorts the temperature issues otherwise next step is the engine thermostat , unless there is something else that may be causing the slow warming up , temp dropping on idle ?  
thanks again for the assistance 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I have been looking at replacement parts and all seem to have an opening temp of 75 degrees. Is that correct or too low for my mk2 superb 2.0 DSG diesel 140?

Skoda-parts.com has a genuine part at £33, or a German replacement part at £13. 
both have the same part number as 1KO 121 113 A. Is it worth the extra?

Yes that's the right operating temperature for the UK.

I wouldn't bother with spending the extra for a Skoda box. Don't buy the cheapest cheap one, you can get Febi one from Amazon for £16

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZM877I/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_AABQ7VNT67RT7CD4F5JF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

17 minutes ago, softscoop said:

Yes that's the right operating temperature for the UK.

I wouldn't bother with spending the extra for a Skoda box. Don't buy the cheapest cheap one, you can get Febi one from Amazon for £16

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZM877I/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_AABQ7VNT67RT7CD4F5JF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Top man - thank you @softscoop

• 1 year later...

I just changed mine. Super easy job. In and out of the garage in 30 min. Minimal fluid loss, didn’t even top up. If you can change your oil, you can do this!

I found it easiest to remove the whole assembly with the thermostat and the two hoses connected to it and then changing the thermostat.

Temperature went to 90 C in 15 minutes and stayed there, even in -12 C outside temperature.

An astmathic could blow through the old one!

IMG_9541.jpeg

• Like 2

Per, that does look easier with the whole section removed from the car.

Can I ask did you get to it from above or remove the tray and get to it from below? Also having just done the job what do you think would be easier above or below?

5 hours ago, Trapdoor said:

Per, that does look easier with the whole section removed from the car.

Can I ask did you get to it from above or remove the tray and get to it from below? Also having just done the job what do you think would be easier above or below?

Don’t think you could even get at it from below. You basically just remove the airfilter box and mass airflow meter, and there it is. 5 mm allen key and a some pliers for the jubilee clips.

• Like 1

To "Everybody" - I need to chanege "DSG"-Thermostat for third time for about five Years. The quality of "OEM" is not good. I will try alternative brand - if they last the same time the price is a half of "OEM"..

• Groan 1

On 09/01/2024 at 12:27, tuningmania said:

To "Everybody" - I need to chanege "DSG"-Thermostat for third time for about five Years. The quality of "OEM" is not good. I will try alternative brand - if they last the same time the price is a half of "OEM"..

The instructions that came with mine say make sure your fluid is clean or the replacement can fail quickly. Not sure how to test this but after 3 times in 5 years it may be worth a flush and refill?

This is the best video I have found on how to do the job, it's in German but Youtube subtitles can Auto translate.

Ordered thermostat Febi 172376 off eBay: £10.94. Removed airbox, battery and battery tray. It might be possible to do this without removing the battery, but I was changing the DSG filter anyway so I did and it made the whole task much easier. Having crimped both hoses, I was able to remove the far hose from the DSG oil cooler then fold the pipe containing what VAG call the "coolant regulator" backwards and underneath the other pipe to the DSG oil cooler which made it much easier to facilitate exchange. Minimal coolant was lost during the process.

The thermostat I removed offered no restriction to being blown through and, when dismantled, the wax stat capsule within was seen to have failed. The new unit offered significant restriction, the only flow being through what I presume to be a small hole which allows bleeding of this line.

Now the car warms up just as it should, which was just as well as I doubt I would have ever reached the min 35 deg C DSG oil temperature at which the fill level is determined had I left this problem unaddressed.

Thanks to the OP and others for describing this problem.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I've got to the do this myself. Thanks to all that have contributed to this I might have a go myself.

I've already had the cambelt and water pump done and the main stat was changed too. But still have the cool running issue. So it has to be the dsg stat 👍

• Like 1