Skoda Kamiq TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)

nz_kamiq

Does anyone know much about the TPMS in the Kamiq?

Apparently TPMS uses the ABS sensors to monitor the rolling radius of each wheel. What I want to know is how sensitive is this system - will it tell me if a tire drops in pressure by 1psi? Or will it only tell me if there is a major drop like 10psi or a blow out?

I don't really see the point of the system if i have to check tire pressure manually every week.

Thanks

If its the same as all the other VAG cars, which id assume it is, then 1psi wont do it but its more sensitive than 10psi easily. I average about 2 punctures a year and apart from completely flat overnight obvious ones etc, the TPMS gets the tyre deflation every time when has  a screw/slow leak etc. in it.

It even picks up when you rotate the tyres and forget to reset the tyre pressures.

• Like 1

The system is best for noticing a quick change in rotational speeds.

If there is no quick change in rotational speed it will not warn you.

I have seen cars with half their correct tyre pressure but no warning.

There are some people that rely on the yearly MOT to have their tyre pressures checked. :o

Please note this is NOT checked in an MOT.

Thanks, AG Falco

Had so many false alarms on the “drag” system, in particular when the weather turned cold or there was a quick temp dip.  Not sure if it was connected in anyway.  But at least you can reset it, our Peugeot had the ones that send a wireless message to the car.  Expensive when the reach end of life.

On 14/01/2021 at 19:35, nz_kamiq said:

I don't really see the point of the system if i have to check tire pressure manually every week

You should be checking your tyre pressures regularly anyway. Just like your oil, screenwash, coolant, lights etc.

These systems are there to highlight a problem as and when it occurs. They don't eradicate the need for basic maintenance.

I could retire if I had a quid for every time I've had to top up someone's fluids or tyre pressures because they couldn't be bothered or didn't know how to.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, James@RRG_Skoda_Rochdale said:

You should be checking your tyre pressures regularly anyway. Just like your oil, screenwash, coolant, lights etc.

These systems are there to highlight a problem as and when it occurs. They don't eradicate the need for basic maintenance.

I could retire if I had a quid for every time I've had to top up someone's fluids or tyre pressures because they couldn't be bothered or didn't know how to.

I got in the habit from when I had my first car of checking these things, especially if we off over any distance.  Most recently after our turbo fail we were off somewhere so I duly checked everything.  That’s when I found the oil hadn’t been topped up after they fixed the leak they caused !  Nothing worse too than no wash fluid in the bottle.

On 14/01/2021 at 19:35, nz_kamiq said:

I don't really see the point of the system if i have to check tire pressure manually every week.

The TPMS system does not measure tyre pressures.

16 hours ago, Northam said:

when the weather turned cold or there was a quick temp dip.  Not sure if it was connected in anyway.

When it gets cold ( over night ) the pressure drops enough for the TPMS system to notice a change from the last time it was driven.

Thanks, AG Falco 

Perhaps 3 Bar, then with a 2 Bar loss they would be at 1 Bar.

If there is anything less than 1 Bar in a tyre then the tyre pressure is in a state of vacuum.

Thanks, AG Falco

On 18/01/2021 at 19:53, AGFalco said:

Perhaps 3 Bar, then with a 2 Bar loss they would be at 1 Bar.

If there is anything less than 1 Bar in a tyre then the tyre pressure is in a state of vacuum.

Thanks, AG Falco

sorry .2 bar from 2.4 bar down to 2.2 bar

• Like 1