Octavia VRS TDI Front Brake Pad Size

Hi All,

I have a late 2015 Octavia VRS TDI, just had an MOT and service at Skoda and I've been told I need front brake pads (At a cost of £250) Having a look on eurocarparts and I can get a pair for the front for around £50 so told them I'd do it myself (luckily my father-in-law is pretty handy)

Just wondering what size pads I need? I assume I have the 340mm discs as they look pretty beefy.

Cheers

It's an easy job. I hadn't done pads since my mk1 vrs and this was lots easier. Half hour all in. Mines a 2016 and I think there was 2 sizes bigger was for  the earlier model. I'll try and find the size. 

Yeah two sizes, 340mm and 312mm.

Edited by arnold

Both sets of pads are the same shape but the 340mm ones are much bigger. 

Don't make the mistake I did and order some from euro that seemed a good price and they were for the 312mm brakes when I have 340mm.

Also I'd avoid brembo pads, they rattled like a tray of plates and I had to replace them after 20 miles.

18 minutes ago, James@RRG_Skoda_Rochdale said:

Both sets of pads are the same shape but the 340mm ones are much bigger. 

Don't make the mistake I did and order some from euro that seemed a good price and they were for the 312mm brakes when I have 340mm.

Also I'd avoid brembo pads, they rattled like a tray of plates and I had to replace them after 20 miles.

I fitted brembo about 3000 miles ago and no issues at all. 

5 hours ago, arnold said:

I fitted brembo about 3000 miles ago and no issues at all. 

I've had trouble with both the front and rear pads. I thought "I'll buy some premium parts from a well respected company instead of genuine"

The fronts were a poor fit, banged on every bump in the road and the rears started squeaking after a couple of months.

I swapped the fronts out for skoda pads and had to remove and deglaze the rears. 

The discs are good and come painted but the pads were a bad fit.

I found a few instances of the same issue online.

11 hours ago, OllieTDI said:

I have a late 2015 Octavia VRS TDI, just had an MOT and service at Skoda and I've been told I need front brake pads (At a cost of £250) Having a look on eurocarparts and I can get a pair for the front for around £50 so told them I'd do it myself (luckily my father-in-law is pretty handy)

Just wondering what size pads I need? I assume I have the 340mm discs as they look pretty beefy.

Skoda Octavia MK3 RS models have 340mm diameter front brake discs.

The OEM part number for the front brake pads is 8V0698151C as you can see on the below link to the Skoda online parts catalogue

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/615/subcategory/615040/part_id/0/lang/e

The OEM part number for the front brake pads is 8V0698151C so be careful not to use similar numbers ending in ******151, ******151A, or ******151B for example, as these are completely different sizes and won't fit the 340mm diameter front discs.

Avoid overpriced Skoda brake pads and also avoid low quality cheap Chinese parts.

These Bosch ones are about £93 from the german version of ebay

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BOSCH-Bremsbelage-Bremsbelagsatz-Bremsklotze-Vorne-0-986-424-285/203168503339?hash=item2f4dc9562b:g:2rwAAOSw-WdfzPum

These EBC ones are about £62 from the uk version of ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-ULTIMAX-FRONT-PADS-DPX2127-FOR-SEAT-ALHAMBRA-1-4-TURBO-2010/111504082590?hash=item19f629469e:g:sNsAAOSw1XdUVssk

Edited by Carlston

2 hours ago, James@RRG_Skoda_Rochdale said:

The fronts were a poor fit, banged on every bump in the road and the rears started squeaking after a couple of months.

It doesn't sound like they were a quality brand, such as Bosch or EBC.

Edited by Carlston

12 hours ago, OllieTDI said:

I have a late 2015 Octavia VRS TDI.

Just wondering what size front pads I need?

EBC claims the size of the pads for the 340mm diameter front discs are 174.9mm x 69.4mm x 20mm.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/skoda/octavia-5e/2.0-Turbo-vRS-2017-2020/16340

ECE R90 or Regulation 90 – What’s it all about?

European legislation came into effect September 1999 titled ECE R90 that stipulates that all brake pads sold for use on vehicles manufactured after this date must be tested and comply to R90 standards. This test which involves taking each homologated vehicle used on the public roads within Europe and comparing the front and rear brake performance with the original parts to those of aftermarket offerings has closed the door to cheap and nasty imported brake pads throughout Europe.

The test includes cold and hot brake friction analysis and if a part has been approved to R90, it can be safely assumed that the product is equal to or better than original equipment product. The brake pads are then marked with an R90 code number and a country code in a circle such as E1 for Germany or E11 for UK which signifies EBC Brakes ECE R90 approved brake pad imagewhere the testing has been done. EBC Brakes does all of its testing at the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) test facilities at MIRA in Nuneaton, UK. MIRA stands for the Motor Industries Research Association who have a high speed test track for conducting these tests which EBC Brakes uses on a regular basis. Compare this to some of the blanket approvals that have been obtained (or supposedly obtained) from some (shall we say) less scrupulous industry participants and it is clear to anyone with an engineering knowledge that the EBC Brakes method of testing is 100% reliable.

Factory Approval is part of the R90 process which involves engineers inspecting and accrediting the factory manufacturing the product before approval is given.

EBC has tested its entire range of direct replacement and aftermarket upgrade discs, its a perfect PASS and is at the time of writing undergoing paperwork details with the VCA ( vehicle Certification agency) to guarantee its customers Europe wide of its compliance on both brake pads and brake disc.

What are the benefits?

If you are selling brake pads for European vehicles and the material you are offering is not very close to the original equipment material in terms of friction level, you could be placing your customers safety at risk. Considering that in 90% of cases the front brake pads on a vehicle wear out before the rear, it is normal to see replacement of front brake pads with an aftermarket offering whilst the rear pad is still left in the vehicle. Simple physics tells you that a vehicle with higher friction in the rear than in the front is a danger area. Such an imbalance of braking can cause rear wheel lock up as pedal pressure is increased by the driver in an attempt to bring the vehicle to rest, and the simple result is ….. front wheel lock up and the car brakes IN A STRAIGHT LINE …. rear wheel lock up and the car goes into a tailspin.

In what ways are European pads different and why does this affect me?

Most European vehicles are built with single piston caliper systems with “deep” profile pads where the band width (height of the pad from top to bottom) is much larger than in brake systems used on Asian cars or American built cars. This basic design difference has lead to European car manufacturers using HIGHER FRICTION pads than most of their counterparts who build vehicles in Asia and USA. To use the lower friction level pads common in the American and Asian markets inter-mixed with a higher friction European spec pad is a recipe for disaster.

Another major advantage

Of the EBC product is its far reduced disc (rotor) wear rates compared to many original parts. Internal tests have show significant reduction in rotor wear when using the EBC Ultimax material.

https://ebcbrakes.com/ece-r90/

Edited by Carlston

7 hours ago, Carlston said:

It doesn't sound like they were a quality brand, such as Bosch or EBC.

They were Brembo pads, supposed to be just as good if not better than Bosch or EBC according to some.

For the minimal price difference (about 15 quid) I replaced them with genuine skoda pads. 

Thanks all for helping, picking up some 340mm from eurocarparts today. I'm currently trying to sell my car so not too worried about the quality. Although in the current climate looks like I'll have it a while :worried: Anyone had a bad experience with eicher? I know they were fine on my old corsa I had but that was slightly less demanding :giggle:

Tried my local TPS a while back but they don't sell to the public, I know it seems to depend on the branch if they do or not.