Something not right..... 2.0 TSI (190)

Only started to happen on the last two start-ups, car is 2019 with 9000 miles on the clock.  The engine temperature gets up to 90 on the gauge really quickly, like within 1-2 mins of driving where normally at these outdoor temperatures it would take up to 10 mins.  The drive feels a little choppy and the DSG gear changes not as smooth as normal.  When parking up after a 10 mile drive the fan is still running so I think the engine is overheating but the gauge never goes above 90.

I'll get it booked in but wondered if anyone else has had this issue.  Thanks

6 hours ago, Has said:

Only started to happen on the last two start-ups, car is 2019 with 9000 miles on the clock.  The engine temperature gets up to 90 on the gauge really quickly, like within 1-2 mins of driving where normally at these outdoor temperatures it would take up to 10 mins.  The drive feels a little choppy and the DSG gear changes not as smooth as normal.  When parking up after a 10 mile drive the fan is still running so I think the engine is overheating but the gauge never goes above 90.

I'll get it booked in but wondered if anyone else has had this issue.  Thanks

Hi Has, same engine here.

When you say the engine temperature gets up to 90C really quickly, do you mean water temp?

Have you seen what the oil temp is doing? Is that also getting up to temp unusually quickly?

(I've not noticed any unusual behaviour on my 2019 190 with 8K miles.)

8 minutes ago, Sweephand said:

I have the same engine, but I've not experienced this issue. If maybe you've only been doing short journeys recently  I wondered if it might be doing a GPF regeneration? 

Isn't the regen on GPF passive only?

Thanks for the reply, sorry I’m not very technical....it’s the gauge on the left of the virtual cockpit that’s going up to 90 quickly.  Oil temp was 95 when I checked half way through my 10 mile drive, what is a normal time to get the oil up to 95?

The TSI Engines get up to temp really quickly. Its not like a TDI engine that takes forever.

However, if you think you have a cooling issue, keep an eye on the header tank. Have you had to recently fill up the tank? Is it loosing coolant? You might also have an airlock in the header tank (unlikely). 

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

Isn't the regen on GPF passive only?

I'm not sure if it's passive only - I've Googled about it and found references to active regeneration  in other engines (e.g. VW Up and some Kia's with GPF's). I'd be surprised if it didn't have the ability to regenerate actively, just in case. The handbook refers to the warning light but doesn't say whether it is just for diesels or petrol as well.

1 hour ago, Sweephand said:

I'm not sure if it's passive only - I've Googled about it and found references to active regeneration  in other engines (e.g. VW Up and some Kia's with GPF's). I'd be surprised if it didn't have the ability to regenerate actively, just in case. The handbook refers to the warning light but doesn't say whether it is just for diesels or petrol as well.

As far as I know GPF's are all passive regens due to higher combustion temperatures. Injecting more petrol down the exhaust system could have explosive results! However I stand to be corrected - I thought GPF's were much smaller and cheaper because of this. 

In addition I'm not sure a NA port injection VW UP even has a GPF although a later gti tsi will have as it has direct injection.

Edited by bigjohn

45 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

As far as I know GPF's are all passive regens due to higher combustion temperatures. Injecting more petrol down the exhaust system could have explosive results! However I stand to be corrected - I thought GPF's were much smaller and cheaper because of this. 

GPF's 'passively' regenerate when off the throttle, needs more oxygen not fuel. I found this explanation  :

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions,  meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter. 

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sweephand said:

GPF's 'passively' regenerate when off the throttle, needs more oxygen not fuel. I found this explanation  :

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions,  meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter. 

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.

i suppose we are saying the same thing - it's the "active" part that is different between diesel and petrol. A diesel "active" regen involves injecting extra fuel on the exhaust stroke whereas the petrol system is different.  

Diesels can also achieve passive regens when conditions allow (temperature in dpf, oxygen etc)

Given the car good run this time and that seems to have done the trick, back to normal now so I’m guessing it was the GPF.  Haven’t had this before but I’m not doing many miles now since lockdown started last March. Thanks 

I have had problems with the petrol particulate filter on my 1.0 TSI Octavia twice now.  Details are in this thread. A long journey seems to sort things out but what a waste.  Just waiting for it to happen for a third time.

So in theory then, a driver who has poor forward planning and doesn't let the car coast or decelerate much is more likely to experience problems with the filter.

6 hours ago, Has said:

Given the car good run this time and that seems to have done the trick, back to normal now so I’m guessing it was the GPF.  Haven’t had this before but I’m not doing many miles now since lockdown started last March. Thanks 

Good to hear that it is ok now - btw did you get a warning light come on when it first happened?