Another headlight problem

ashfan

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

I'd be tempted to log the front/rear sensor output along with the up/down and left/right motor positions as you go for a drive. That'll confirm if the system is working. 

Thanks Langers, how do I do that. 

I keep trying the dance but I get nothing. I've checked the sensors again and they are fitted correctly. There are no error messages so I just don't get it.

I misunderstood the YouTube video. I thought it was going to adjust the headlights for me, obviously not. 

Like I said previously I'm 99% sure the lights were moving as I was driving

Edited by ashfan

Easiest way is to have a volunteer watch the laptop as you drive.

For live monitoring:

- Start VCDS

- Select control module

- Choose 55 Xenon Range

- Select advanced measuring blocks or measuring blocks

You then want to select the following, I don't think you need the group/field bit, just the description:

- Group 1 - Field 2, Vehicle Speed

- Group 1 - Field 3, Steering Angle - Sensor (G85)

- Group 2 - Field 0, Sensor Signal - Front (G78/G289)
- Group 2 - Field 1, Sensor Signal - Rear (G76/G77)

- Group 2 - Field 2, Actuator Motor - Left Headlight

- Group 2 - Field 3, Actuator Motor - Right Headlight

- Group 3 - Field 2, Dynamic Cornering - Light Left

- Group 3 - Field 3, Dynamic Cornering - Light Right

- Group 4 - Field 2, Movement - Front Suspension

- Group 4 - Field 3, Movement - Rear Suspension

Your volunteer should be able to watch the figures changing as you drive along.

If you don't have a volunteer, use the log button to create a CSV file of your drive. If you familiar with excel, you can make graphs to see what happened, if you're not, feel free to attach the CSV here and I'll take a look :thumbup:

Thanks chimaera.

Something is strange is going on. After playing with VCDS and the lights I decided to put the car in the garage and stick it on charge. Late last night I thought I would try again (with the headlight switched already in the Auto position) and I couldn't believe it when the "dance" happened. The nearside light seemed a bit low compared to the other but who cares. I normally start the car then switch to Auto to turn on the lights, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm sure the lights would do their dance anyway, I think I'm clutching at straws here, I don't know.

All I know is they stopped dancing after I had the problem with the sensor and now (last night anyway) things seem to be working again. The only thing I did yesterday was play around with VCDS, without actually achieving anything, and I took out my new bulbs and put them back in again as a last straw.

Hopefully everything is back to normal and I just have the ventilation flaps to sort out now (according to my VCDS log)

Thanks again everyone

25 minutes ago, ashfan said:

Thanks chimaera.

Something is strange is going on. After playing with VCDS and the lights I decided to put the car in the garage and stick it on charge. Late last night I thought I would try again (with the headlight switched already in the Auto position) and I couldn't believe it when the "dance" happened. The nearside light seemed a bit low compared to the other but who cares. I normally start the car then switch to Auto to turn on the lights, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm sure the lights would do their dance anyway, I think I'm clutching at straws here, I don't know.

All I know is they stopped dancing after I had the problem with the sensor and now (last night anyway) things seem to be working again. The only thing I did yesterday was play around with VCDS, without actually achieving anything, and I took out my new bulbs and put them back in again as a last straw.

Hopefully everything is back to normal and I just have the ventilation flaps to sort out now (according to my VCDS log)

Thanks again everyone

I wonder if the dance only happens when the switch is on Auto when the car is started? It's an easy hypothesis to test at least.

One thing I have noticed in the past is that the startup dance happens even if the lights aren't needed e.g. in daylight. The lamp unit still does its thing with the bulb off.

7 minutes ago, chimaera said:

I wonder if the dance only happens when the switch is on Auto when the car is started? It's an easy hypothesis to test at least.

Yeah I wondered that too. I'll test that today, the garage is dark enough for the lights to come on in auto

Well this is embarrassing. No matter when I put the switch to auto the headlights are now dancing for me. I have no idea what I've done to make this happen but I'm starting to doubt whether there was a problem at all and langers is right and I just missed it. I made a point of looking for it on numerous occasions and even now I'm convinced it didn't happen. Oh well 

• Haha 1