Fabia Mk1 Vrs vs Ibiza Cupra Tdi

Hello guys, I have a feeling that VRs pulls easier and is generally nippier than Cupra that I bought a couple of days ago... Is that normal?  My Cupra seems to be a bit sluggish and not so responsive to about 2500rpm... It’s like it hasidates for a second and accelerates slower than I think it should...Is the engine tuned differently, or the fact that it has the Seat Sport Fmic that needs to be filled with air that makes it a bit sluggish. All in all, Vrs seems to be a faster and nippier car... Maybe Cupra would nail it at higher rpm and long accelerations, but definitely not the impression while driving?! I mean the Cupra can spin wheels in second gear if I floor it, once it goes past the turbo lag or something... Bottom line, Cupra has 118kw and Vrs 96... It looks like it’s the other way around... Maybe the Cupra has some slight engine problem?!

Edited by iwcham1979

Maybe. The engine on the Cupra sounds really really  healthy though when up to temp, window open and I revv it...No smoke, can’t hear the turbo, really beautiful to listen to... Cant sound any better... :) So I was thinkin maybe turbo lag from a bigger turbo and bigger intercooler causing the flat spot....

Edited by iwcham1979

Is this a joke thread?

Man goes into a doctors and says doctor can you take a look at my pen15, proceeds to flop said organ out whereupon doctor inspects it thoroughly and says she can't find anything wrong with, man replies: " I know, lovely isn't it ".

It is now.

Come back if it all goes horribly wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get it checked with VCDS to see if there are any faults, I know from experience not all faults will cause a dash warning light, if your still not sure after that then get a power run on a rolling road and see if it is performing as it should.

Ok.... Thanks for the replies guys... She pulls from 2200rpm like it should, but say 3rd gear and 1500rpm says Oh Ok, ready, steady, steady, and gooo... Maybe I am expecting too much, maybe the Fmic and a bigger turbo make it more sluggish at low rpm than the ASZ with a smaller turbo and a small smic. The turbo looks like new on inspection, and there is no normal slight turbo whistle to hear... so I guess the turbo is freshly done by the previous owner... Should ARL pull briskly and immediately at low rpm?

FMIC will make it spool a little later. So around 2500RPM. But again at this age expect boost leaks which will affect power. That and the possibility of a bad remap making things worse. Most remaps for our engines are poor and not really on the dot. So it will bring out mechanical issues even more 

Edited by sakta

A lot of moons ago I had a 1990 130bhp SRi Cavalier - I then got another SRi Cavalier which was 1991 

The 1990 pulled a lot better than the 91 and the 2 were identical 2ltr 8v cars - Both had the 20SEH engine.

There is a lot of variation in breed .. I wouldn't get excited over stuff that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. How long is that piece of string anyway...?

No two are identical and as they get older the differences become more pronounced ! 

4 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Also, most of the PD130 engines make closer to 150 BHP standard so in reality they're much closer than they appear.

If only the Ibiza weren't so damned ugly.

You've just triggered me. My two ibizas are very pretty (if you don't view them from the side)

Ibiza should be a little lighter than VRS.  as above it's probably just not in best condition, do it up for more power!

Edited by corndog
  • Haha 1