Speed limiter query in my Mark 3 Fabia tsi

hetty1

Hello.

I have a 17 plate Fabia estate tsi in SEL  spec.  The standard cruise control and speed limiter work fine,  I have normally just used the cruise function.   I have a query about the speed limiter.  It can only be brought into operation via the cruise control enabler of course  and pressing the "mode" button.  Very   recently I set a speed manually for the limiter and then switched back to cruise and back to speed limiter for the particular journey  I  was undertaking, keeping the enabler switched  on of course to do this.   As  I got nearer to home   I  thought neither the cruise or the limiter were needed any longer so  I  switched off the enabler completely.  However there was a traffic diversion ( accident) and  I  needed the enabler on again to operate the speed limiter because the constabulary are very zealous indeed  about speed around here.  There was no stored figure when I  did this, just a blank next to the mph.  I set it again manually and that really  brought about this post.  

I  wouldnt have been surprised if my figure hadnt been retained once I  had arrived home and switched off and parked up.  That would have been on a par with disabling the stop/start, that has to be disabled before each time  you switch on and the "values" like time travelled"  are only retained for 2 hours.   This wasnt like that of course, i  hadnt switched off the engine,  I had only switched off the cc/limiter enabler and it got switched on again just a few minutes later because of the unexpected traffic conditions and the figure hadnt been retained.

I could just forget about the speed limiter altogether and just use the cruise control.  The latter is much more use to me than the former,  the llmiter can be useful in dense traffic  but thats about all.

I  look forward to your posts on this.

This is merely to update.  I told my Skoda garage and asked for their verdict, whether it was operating correctly or not.  They checked it out on one of their cars with the same joint cruise and limiter and said when the enabler was switched off any speed values were lost.  You could  move between cruise and limiter and the values remained but switching off the enabler meant loss of values.  So my system on my car is working correctly .  I

• Thanks 1

You probably could but you would have to be really certain that you were cancelling rather than moving the enabler right across.  It isnt easy at all  seeing the various controls on the stalk when you are driving, they are not intuitive. you have to consciously look away from driving albeit not for long. It would have been better and easier to have had the  speed limiter switch on the dash as that would have been easier to see and to work.  I find the cruise control really useful and easy to operate too.  I cant see a great deal of use for the speed limiter to be honest and  I am going to pretty much forget about it and use the cruise control only. Thanks for posting.

I think if you're able to master precisely using a computer mouse scroll wheel, you'll be able to get the hang of the cancel switch position. I use it several times per trip to cancel cruise control without braking and let the car coast. At first I was much more worried about accidentally operating the high beam lights when trying to use the cruise control speed adjustment buttons at the end of the stalk.

Thanks for the post.  I am sure you are right about using the cancel    button, practice makes perfect and all that.      I have analysed how often  i use the limiter and how often  I  use the cruise and its something like fifteen to one in favour of the cruise.     I might use the limiter more if it was a straightforward switch or button on the dashboard but, for whatever reason,  Skoda havent done it that way.   This is to digress but the  TPMS  is also fiddly to input.  I have to go through the infotainment system  while lower spec models have a simple button on the dash to input.  Back to the limiter,  I  will only use it when in a really urban area with lots of zealous constabulary looking for infringements of the speed limit.   I live  and drive in a part rural part urban area so feel  OK  without setting the limiter but do keep a beady eye on the speedometer, just in case.