Car thinks it is driving on the right hand, not left hand side of the road in the UK

Billywizzo

Has anyone had the car think it is driving on the other side of the road.

Yesterday while driving it reset the headlights to driving on the right and would not let me set them back, maybe not letting me as I was driving at the time, and also the road signs were displaying in KPH a few times. 
On the return journey I checked the lights were set for left hand driving but on the motorway, with the ACC on, it was slowing me down when I was trying to pass cars, as if it thought I was undertaking not overtaking, see photo. 
I have had it slow me down when I was coming up to a car and it was like I was going to undertake but the car image was on the other side of the display. 

I need to take the car into the dealers so will let them know and see if there is a fix but wondered if anyone had the same issue and had sorted it so I could inform the dealer. 

5078E94F-2456-4044-85E5-5107C82EDBEE.jpeg

Edited by Billywizzo

10 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The car is not wrong as it is in Europe unless you are now in some other continent. 

Changed the title to make it clearer for you

Edited by Billywizzo
  • Thanks 1

• Billywizzo changed the title to Car thinks it is driving on the right hand, not left hand side of the road in the UK
1 minute ago, Billywizzo said:

The car thinks it is not driving in the UK but in a country that drives on the right hand side of the road while still in the UK. Does that make it clearer.

Your point was very clear.

Best to just ignore the facetious comments until someone helpful answers you.

• Like 1

@Tolpol62  The point is very clear now as it was already in the post,

but now so is the 'Title' which is what people see first before clicking on to a thread or when doing a search. 

The car is in Europe but changed to thinking it was not in the UK.

Still no helpful replies in yet though or replies from those that have had similar happen as the OP had.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I had a similar issue with an Audi A6 a few years back, it would show roundabouts in the display the wrong way round, and randomly state distances in KM rather than miles.  Took it to Audi who suggested a map update as the tune of a few hundred pounds, I promptly refused and asked they check for a system update.  They reluctantly did this, and surprise surprise it fixed it!

If I were you, make sure you've got a picture or video (like you have) and then ask Skoda to check and update.... I don't have my Skoda yet, it's still being built, but once it's here I can check I've gone for the digital dash too!

You can turn off the undertaking restriction using OBD11 which mentions left or right side, so presume the side of the road setting overall is in there too. 
But as newish dealer should be sorting this for you.

There must be a way to disregard recognizing road signs and assuming a change of country too. I could see how having MPH and KPH signs in the same country would be a bit weird for the car though.

• 6 months later...

@Billywizzo

I had the same problem. lights setting are correct - left hand traffic selected. But when on ACC car slows down even when I am overtaking from the right (am in Cyprus so we drive on the left side of the road). 

restarting infotainment did not alter the result. Have a MY21 with MIB3...

Did you get any solution?

Edited by AmarSirohi

52 minutes ago, AmarSirohi said:

@Billywizzo

I had the same problem. lights setting are correct - left hand traffic selected. But when on ACC car slows down even when I am overtaking from the right (am in Cyprus so we drive on the left side of the road). 

restarting infotainment did not alter the result. Have a MY21 with MIB3...

Did you get any solution?

No solution yet.

I have a friend who has a VW Golf and he has the same software issues with his car.

All I can say is if I stop turn off and restart the car then it was ok again but it has not happened for a while now so maybe one of the updates it has recieved has fixed it or the bug is so random it has just not appeared recently.