Car crabbing after rear end falling in ditch

sakta

This is rather embarrassing, but I forgot to put the handbrake whilst at a car park, and the rear end rolled into a ditch. I tried to drive out but the front wheels both spun as it was muddy. The AA man ended up hooking up a strap to the bottom of the front control arm. Now the car crabs and it skips bumps (the rear end swerves right a little).

Is this something that can be solved with a 4 wheel alignment, or has it falling into a ditch likely bent the chassis and its now a write off?

When you get the car aligned, the garage will tell you whats what. I would expect from your description that either the front arm has been damaged during recovery, or the rear suspension in the ditch. It is unlikely the chassis has been damaged given the low speed events you reference.

Edited by Westbury63
Spelling !

Suspension/steering needs inspecting for damage. Alignment is the last thing you do when you know everything else is OK.

I agree with Westbury63 that the chassis is unlikely to be damaged. I once did the same thing in my first car (a Hillman Imp). I was inexperienced and tried to do a three-point-turn on a narrow country road and I rolled back into a ditch. Got pulled out of the ditch by a kind man in a passing Triumph 2000. No damage, thankfully :D

• 2 weeks later...

Awfully embarrassing! The front tow hook was at home not in the car which is why it was towed out through the control arm (oops!). I went to a local tyre place for an alignment, they pretty much said we don't want to take your money as we doubt its an alignment issue, so going to the mechanic tomorrow.

Part of me hopes it is suspension damage so I have an excuse to fit my coilovers :biggrin: the car is in need of some work at this mileage.

Edited by sakta