The (felt?) pad between the sump and the plastic engine tray - what's it called?

There is a (felt?) pad about 20cm x 50cm x about1cm thick that wraps around the bottom of the sump and slightly up the back of it near the drive shaft.

It lays between the metal sump and the plastic engine under tray.

My local indy garage changed my oil recently and managed to soak that pad and the engine tray with old engine oil.

I've managed to clean the plastic under tray but can't clean the pad so I want to replace it, either with the same thing or with something that will do the job.

Qn 1. What is it called?  (So I know what I am looking for online)

Qn2. What is it for? (Is it for sound proofing or to catch the occasional oil drop or something like that?)

Can't add details like a name or a number but as mine has literally fallen apart i can tell you that the purpose of it is to reduce rattling. The 2 part hard plastic shrouds rattle like some dried peas in a plastic bottle.

Its such a specific part you are probably only going to be able to get it from a dealer. 

However i am replacing my car with a Superb 3 on Friday so I am not bothered about it from then.  

Ok, thanks both of you. Seems a reasonable explanation.

Si if that's all it's for them I'll make one by sewing some nylon wadding material  inside a bit of thick polyester fabric.

That will make it rot and oil proof and should do the job.

Don't fancy paying a fortune at a dealer just for a bit of padding!

• 3 years later...

I know it's resurrecting an old thread.

But I found the part number on my (64 Plate Superb Mk2) felt still clearly etched in the fabric today, should anyone require it?

The part number is 03L 103 660 C and it is called an Oil Pan Cover or Lid: 

Or

They're some serious money, 3 figures worth in pounds alone.  However, the previous workshops didn't know how to do an oil change without saturating it in old engine oil!

So I'm going to be learning how to degrease this felt properly with soda crystals, orange concentrate degreaser and another proprietary degreaser, whilst trying not to destroy it with a Karcher pressure washer!

Thankfully I do my own servicing, so I won't be coating it in anymore oil now!

• Like 1