Roof Bag

Hi there, looking to add some extra storage but would rather not have to go to the expense of roof bars and roof box. I have seen the roof bags that you can buy that basically attach to the roof rails already on the car. Would anyone know what kind of weight restrictions there would be for items (such as roof bag) being placed directly onto the roof surface? Albeit, I would be placing rubber sheet protection down. 

This is what I was looking at 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0819NQVHK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_3H96HBTZQX057G0M4FFG

I have one that I bought from a rédérie (car boot sale) as it was dirt cheap, it was as an emergency measure to protect stuff if ever I had to store things outside, I would only use it on the roof in extremis and for a very short journey, I would have no worry about weight if it was evenly distributed but would expect it to destroy the paintwork in very short order even with a rubber sheet, in fact probably more so with that than the nylon unless you meant having the sheet inside.

The idea was to put a rubber mesh sheet on the roof. (Another buy on Amazon). Then sit the roof bag on top. Just wouldn't want to over load the bag then in case it indents. The sheet metal used on cars isn't that thick so wouldn't think it would take much weight. 

Its taking the weight of the roof bars which are rated for 75kg but will take many times that, a helicopter if you are Top Gear, the roof rails transfer the weight to the roof via 4 point loads so an evenly distributed load in a roof bag will not be a problem, it will carry as much as a roof rack, much more if evenly spread but not advised.

Your problem will be rubbing and I think the rubber might even make it worse.

If ever I need to use my roof bag on the car it will be on top of a sheet of plywood supported by the roof rails.

Ok thanks. I don't have the roof bars only the rails on either side of the car, so was just concerned about placing the bag directly on to the roof. Thought the rubber mesh would protect the roof from scratches, marks etc. I'll read some more of the reviews and see what people are saying about their experiences.

Thanks again. 

Daftest idea I've seen in a long time !!  If you like and respect your car leave this well alone. Have a look for used roof bars and boxes on E Bay.

All sorts of grit and dirt will get trapped between that bag and your roof and it will act like sandpaper and will abrade the roof.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The approved used car banners that magnetised to static cars with rubber feet, used to make a right mess of paintwork. Imagine what a sheet of rubber will do if you’re driving the car. 
Bars can be bought for £70 plus. Don’t risk it. 

Edited by 1963Malc

• 3 weeks later...

Even if you clean the roof before you lay the protective mat on, after a motorway trip even in the dry you will have collected some abrasive material under the bag and it will start to sand the paint work. Rain and spray will probably throw up much more.

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-240l-roof-box-and-120-bar/p/00000064409400?" on this server.

Reference #18.e5db7a5c.1621160842.2bf03345

Its probably because my internet connection is outside of the UK.

Not sure what the roof bars are like on the Kodiaq, but I just have universal ones I picked up for £15 of Facebook marketplace for my superb.  I'm hoping they will fit the Kodiaq when it arrives..