Clutch replacement recommendations

Funkystanley

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a good indie to swapout the clutch on my 2012 1.6TDI CR Octavia? Anywhere around the Sheffield/Derbyshire area would be great.

Also, rough prices and any other useful info. etc. would be great. I'm assuming its best to get clutch kit, DMF and slave cylinder all done at the same time??

Cheers

Rob

2 hours ago, Funkystanley said:

I'm not sure if it is or not Urrell,but it would be great if it was as they're bloody expensive arnt they.

Yes DMF are expensive.
What model is yours?

noticed you're talking about an Octavia but have posted in the Yeti forum. 

except for a few months build period, a dual mass flywheel was fitted to the CR, it is now convertible to a solid flywheel. This is now considered to be the preferred repair from Skoda.

however if it's just the clutch that needs replacing just do that unless you think the dmf is on the way out too. the reason they say change both is normally when replacing the dmf as you have to take the clutch out first anyway 

Cools, thanks Gissin.  If i take it to a trusted indy i hope they'll advise if the DMF is bugg3r3d, and replace that at the same time.  I've read on some forums (UKPassats) that sometimes the solid mass replacements can be a bit iffy and not give the reliability of the DMF, is the success rate with the Octavia better then?

Sorry for posting in the Yeti forum, i thought i'd posted in the Octavia forum (cant get the hang of this technology thing)

11 minutes ago, Funkystanley said:

Cools, thanks Gissin.  If i take it to a trusted indy i hope they'll advise if the DMF is bugg3r3d, and replace that at the same time.  I've read on some forums (UKPassats) that sometimes the solid mass replacements can be a bit iffy and not give the reliability of the DMF, is the success rate with the Octavia better then?

Sorry for posting in the Yeti forum, i thought i'd posted in the Octavia forum (cant get the hang of this technology thing)

Yes you can ask them to check the condition of the DMF  when replacing the clutch. out of interest what mileage is it on and what kind of driving do you do ? 

I too used to be on ukpassats many moons ago, they can depending on what engine you have for instance mine being 2.0 would not advise a single mass replacement but the 1.6 you have is fine for this conversion. single mass are more reliable (less moving parts) than  a dual. 

48 minutes ago, Gissin said:

Yes you can ask them to check the condition of the DMF  when replacing the clutch. out of interest what mileage is it on and what kind of driving do you do ? 

I too used to be on ukpassats many moons ago, they can depending on what engine you have for instance mine being 2.0 would not advise a single mass replacement but the 1.6 you have is fine for this conversion. single mass are more reliable (less moving parts) than  a dual. 

Its on 112k and 9 years old.  I do a lot of town work tbh and live in the hills of Sheffield so the clutch does get a bit of a hammering.  I'm hoping to take it to a place called AutoHouse Dolby in Sheffield as they have a good name.  They're highly thought of on UkPassats.  Or theres a place called VolksTek in Dronfiled (between Sheffield and Chesterfield).  Ever heard of these mate?

ok so yeah you're in the ball park for either with that kind of usage, is the clutch slipping or are you getting any noise? basically what I'm getting at is why are you wanting to change it? 

no, sorry, but I'm sure if the reviews are good they will be fine. 

my local indy quoted 300 for the clutch and about the same again for the dual mass including slave, If I were going to change the clutch on that milage and type of driving (assuming there's reason to) Id do them all at the same time.

FYI - CR= common rail.  referring to the type of engine you have 

13 minutes ago, Gissin said:

ok so yeah you're in the ball park for either with that kind of usage, is the clutch slipping or are you getting any noise? basically what I'm getting at is why are you wanting to change it? 

no, sorry, but I'm sure if the reviews are good they will be fine. 

my local indy quoted 300 for the clutch and about the same again for the dual mass including slave, If I were going to change the clutch on that milage and type of driving (assuming there's reason to) Id do them all at the same time.

FYI - CR= common rail.  referring to the type of engine you have 

Ahh, yes, 'common rail'....wondered what the CR stood for.  Not sure what trim it is actually.

Its not slipping yet but has been heavy (putting pressure on the pedal) for some time and now when i dip the pedal it feels as though i've got a floor matt stuck under it. 

I'm sure that i've seen somewhere that the stealers are quoting £1100!

1 minute ago, Gissin said:

then I would be looking at the master SC and CSC  first could require bleeding if sticking. ceck for fluid leaks especially on top of the gearbox

is it a 5 speed?

Yes, its a 5-speed.  What is the CSC btw?

Ok, i've got a couple of quotes back from Autohaus Dolby (which i'm happily going to use).  On for £590 for a Sachs kit and one for £675 for genuine VAG kit.  Which one would folks go for? I believe Sachs are supposed to be good but would it be better to go for the genuine VAG for 80quid more? I'm keeping the car long term so would prefer to not have to worry about the clutch again.

3 minutes ago, Urrell said:

I think it may say Genuine VAG on the packaging but probably made by LUK or Sachs.

I'm thinking the same Urrell.  Many manufacturers use third party suppliers anyway and i've heard VAG use either Sachs or LUK.  

On 24/03/2021 at 09:57, Funkystanley said:

Ok, i've got a couple of quotes back from Autohaus Dolby (which i'm happily going to use).  On for £590 for a Sachs kit and one for £675 for genuine VAG kit.  Which one would folks go for? I believe Sachs are supposed to be good but would it be better to go for the genuine VAG for 80quid more? I'm keeping the car long term so would prefer to not have to worry about the clutch again.

I've used Autohaus Dolby on a number of occasions and can happily recommend them.

• Like 1