Fuel filter screw

Hi all, I have gone to change my fuel filter and the head of the screw has fallen apart when I went to unscrew it.

Seeing as I will now need to drill the screw out and buy a replacement. 

Does anyone happen to know the specs of the screw required?

I have a 1.2 htp BZG.

It probably is not "called" for in the service schedule (but there again neither is autobox oil and we know how that pans out).............

personally I have always changed petrol filters on my cars, done the RS I have now as well.

Not sure what screw you mean, can you take a piccy ? or do you mean the screw in the clamp that holds it ?

Edited by UrbanPanzer

I figured thats what you meant...........

heres the bolt / screw

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/n90496802-screw-5-3x22-skoda-39761.html

On the flip side, once the old screw is out, you "could" fit any little nut and bolt to hold it.

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrumTom_ said:

You sure?

This is a 13 year old and 63k mile fuel filter.

Absolutely certain, UK petrol is very clean compared to many other markets where these cars are sold.

As a filter clogs it gets MORE efficient, it's only when it gets too dirty that you experience a loss in fuel pressure.

Are you experiencing a loss in fuel pressure?

While I agree with the fact that it should not need replacing unless it is causing an issue with running, I managed to get that screw out on my wife's old 2002 Polo as I did plan to replace that filter and its associated pressure regulator, I cleaned out the maybe Torx recess and applied plenty proper release fluid especially into/onto the open end of that threaded hole - after a few attempts and application of more proper release fluid (and that does not mean normal WD40), I got that screw out, cleaned things up and either refitted it with plenty grease on it and over the exposed upper end, or fitted a new screw again wit plenty grease.

Replacing a screw that used a captive nut, with a smaller size screw and nut is really going to make things a lot worse for the next poor sod that goes to replace that filter, if I remember correctly, both sides of that plastic clip are part of the fuel tank.

I've always planned to never plant any traps for future owner/fixers.

I wonder what future MOT testers would think about if you used a couple of heavy tie wraps, that could work if everything else failed.

5 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Don't see any harm in replacing it at all......

Apart from the harm that results from snapping rusty fasteners and writhing around under the car trying to get it fixed.

Been there, done that, total waste of time, I even cut the old filter open and found nothing worth worrying about inside. The juice simply isn't worth the squeeze, just like changing your gearbox oil isn't.

Why do you bother with this endless theory crafting and contradicting lived experience? You're wasting someone else's time and money by recommending a pointless course of action.

• Groan 1

24 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

I wrote a response...........................but really cannot be bothered.

Based upon contradiction and argument, please don't feel you need to bother unless you're just padding your post count in which case go right ahead and facepalm.

...oh wait

One other possible consideration if changing that filter is, after 13 years will the push-on sealing connectors still be willing and able to seal on that new filter, I considered that possible disaster when preparing to change the filter in my wife's old 2002 Polo, and bought in a couple of repair kits from VW, so almost 10 years later that collection of bits is still "resting" in the airing cupboard, that might not be an issue for many/most people, but my wife would get a bit annoyed if I had to get her to use my car to get to work until I had sorted things out - well not quite true, it would be me that was a bit concerned about her enjoying my car!

(click goes my pot count!)

If you're as professional as one garage I used just using zip ties is recommended (not). Mind you it was on a Kia Rio....  

Edited by Phil866