Shifter problems

UndertheRadar

Does anyone have an idea where I might get a hold of a replacement 8 speed shifter similar to this other than the bay of evil? I don’t really want an old secondhand one with questionable usable life left due to the price some of these things fetch. It’s on an old Pro Flex that I keep running for nostalgic reasons so I don’t want to pay a fortune to sort it with unknown bits.  Otherwise I might replace the entire setup and change it to 9 speed instead.   

602FD04A-5E36-41BC-A0BF-C0CB91034A9E.jpeg

BF08C763-7953-40FC-8CC4-A70FDAC6C381.jpeg

Broken completely or missing shifts? 

Strip it and clean it first? 

Surprising how much gunk builds up in there 

Failing that LBS or a recycling bike shop that refurb, plenty opening up 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, olduns said:

Broken completely or missing shifts? 

Strip it and clean it first? 

Surprising how much gunk builds up in there 

Failing that LBS or a recycling bike shop that refurb, plenty opening up 

I’ve opened and cleaned it that many times it’s just given up. There’s just no tension when trying to shift up and it’s just steadily become worse over the last couple of years.  I’m limited for LBS over here at the best of times, and none would refurb. Maybe find somewhere on the mainland and see if they could sort it if I post it over to them. Thanks. 

have you checked with Chain Reaction up there in nordy land? buddy told me they are good for equipment.

@UndertheRadar

link added to their shifter listing, in ascending price order.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/gear-shifters?sort=pricelow

Edited by mac11irl
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes, told them what I was after and what is was for, and the guy I was talking to said it was built before he was born. Made me feel awesome😂. Everyone I’ve rang say it’s either the bay of evil or change to 9 speed. 
I might throw it down to the boys in mech monkey on the Boucher and see what they can do. After having it for about 25 yrs I’m not giving up on it. 

2 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

Thanks. Yes, told them what I was after and what is was for, and the guy I was talking to said it was built before he was born. Made me feel awesome😂. Everyone I’ve rang say it’s either the bay of evil or change to 9 speed. 
I might throw it down to the boys in mech monkey on the Boucher and see what they can do. After having it for about 25 yrs I’m not giving up on it. 

the bike using for my exercise battle is 30ish yrs old too... 

my dad bought it to replace his road racer after it was written off following a pothole hole related incident. it became my bike when i outgrew my 5speed raleigh mtb at about 12.

it became auld lads again for a while after i finished uni and the bike was at home. he got a new one a few yrs ago, so i took the emmelle back again.

shimano brakes and originally shimano trigger shifters that were changed to twist grips as he was struggling with his arthritic thumbs.

i dont really like the twist shifters, but cant be arsed changing them :D

• Like 1

I did my first ride since last autumn today on my 30 year old much loved steed (26km) :

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/dawes-switchback-etc.240623/

It has 7 speed Shimano STI shifters and mine also finally bit the dust, bits for what are now classed as classic bikes (its the newest bike I ever had & still new to me) are stupidly expensive, I searched the length & breadth of the globe before finally finding what was claimed to be a NOS shifter in a Japanese bike parts shop, for the price with delivery I could have bought a new 28 thousand speed bike from Décathlon but I decided the bike was worth it as we have been round the world together.

Its fitted & works fine but I was pretty cross to find it was a second hand unit, mind you they are superbly engineered & I doubt this one has done anywhere near the miles over 3 decades like my failed one had.

There is nothing that I can see about a modern bike that would make me want to change unless it was for something a lot more sporting and light.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

The racer that I had before the Dawes mountain bike was an Emelle!!!

I traded it for half of a new but hooky Epson NLQ80 dot matrix printer back when they cost hundreds of pounds.

I then had to spend something like £150 on a sheet feeder for it.

Been through several printers since then but am very attached to the bike.

• Like 2

He he...   I've till got my Raleigh Pioneer Trail hybrid from 1991...   Reynolds 501 frame with a full Suntour XCT Xpress gear set.

Was bought for john o groats to lands end (we did 550 miles then gave up in strong winds as it was when sevenoaks became five oaks in a storm) and still works spot on

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2021 at 22:33, skomaz said:

He he...   I've till got my Raleigh Pioneer Trail hybrid from 1991...   Reynolds 501 frame with a full Suntour XCT Xpress gear set.

Was bought for john o groats to lands end (we did 550 miles then gave up in strong winds as it was when sevenoaks became five oaks in a storm) and still works spot on

Had this out today for the first time in ages.  It's kept under a motorbike cover round the back of the house so was expecting a nightmare to get it working.  But apart from a dry chain with a few stiff links and needing a touch of lubrication on it and the derailleur it was al fine!

I'm not though...   Might need a new pair of legs. :D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Had this out today for the first time in ages.  It's kept under a motorbike cover round the back of the house so was expecting a nightmare to get it working.  But apart from a dry chain with a few stiff links and needing a touch of lubrication on it and the derailleur it was al fine!

I'm not though...   Might need a new pair of legs. :D

You’ll be walking like John Wayne in the morning. 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

You’ll be walking like John Wayne in the morning. 😄

Think i already am!!  :D

And I've already got a slow puncturediscovered when I put it away tonight...   But at least its on the front so dead easy to sort and im sure ive got a tube in the garage somewhere...

• Like 1

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.