Seat position in Superb

Hello the good people of briskoda!

Recently bought a 2017 Superb Laurin and Klement. I am very pleased with the car and like it a lot. My only gripe is the apparent lack of head room in the drivers seat. I’m 6 foot 3 and have the seat as low as it goes, but I often find myself bumping my head on the roof.

It is frustrating and annoying to say the least. I’m pretty sure the problem is caused by a combination of factors:

1. The sun roof with the L&K trim reduces headroom inside

2. the superb has a relatively high mounting position for the front seats

I really don’t want to have to get rid of this car but I don’t think I can put up with this. Does anyone know what I could do to fix it?

It seems like my options are:

1. Buy a different superb without a sunroof (if there is indeed a significant difference in head room)

2. Buy an aftermarket seat which allows me to sit lower

3. Somehow modify the seat mounts to make them lower (which probably would involve some amount of cutting and welding!)

As I said I do love this car and would like to keep it for a few years. I’m not freakishly tall so I don’t think I can be the only one who has had this problem!

Any help or advice is welcome. 

Thank you in advance

If it is really as low as it goes then I think it must be a sunroof related thing. I know that my old alhambra lost a good 4-5 cm height internally due to the factory fitted sunroof over an earlier model we had without the sunroof.

I suggest you check on the passenger side if its the same just in case its the seat stopping short of its lowest setting. The electric seats have multiple adjustments and from what I recall some also seem to affect height, eg you can alter the height /angle of the front, also a touch more lean back might give you a bit of room.

I am just short of six foot and there is plenty of room with the seat at the highest setting which is my preference, I get annoyed when my son lowers it to his preferred bum on the floor position, he is a couple of inches tallsr than me.

The issue I and my much shorter wife have is we often hit our heads getting into the car on the low A pillar, and being quite low overall, having to lift/drag my bum over to the centre of the seat over the rh bolster. Worried I will wear the leather as other have posted about.

See if you can try out a Superb without the sunroof to confirm.

I’ve looked underneath and the seat is definitely as far down as it will go. When lockdown eases I’ll see if I can get a test drive in a car without a sun roof.

thanks

Just to let you know, I'm a little over 6'3" tall and have no headroom issues with my 2019 Sportline Plus that has a panoramic sunroof. Not even sure I have it all the way to the lowest setting and I drive with a very upright position as well.

If you want, I can grab a tape measure tomorrow and get measurement of the distance from the seat cushion to the roof.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rikochet said:

Just to let you know, I'm a little over 6'3" tall and have no headroom issues with my 2019 Sportline Plus that has a panoramic sunroof. Not even sure I have it all the way to the lowest setting and I drive with a very upright position as well.

If you want, I can grab a tape measure tomorrow and get measurement of the distance from the seat cushion to the roof.

That suggests his seat isn't down as far as possible. I wonder if he's using the electric seat controls correctly, they are quite complex and not too intuitive. I needed to refer to the owners manual to work out what to push, which way and what it did. Plus the seat memories and key memories how they work.

Manuals available to download here

https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

I am 198cm so 6ft6 and have a SUPER upright position for driving (my friend who is 5ft7 can use the same uprightness of the seats and have perfect seating position) and I have very good headroom, I even fitted with a helmet for race track. It seems you really might not have the correct seating position in terms of what is available from adjustment side.

Or an unproportionally long torso...

Might be a stupid question but no offence intended but have you tried moving the seat as far back as it will go and then see if it will lower again.  I have found mine sometimes behaves differently depending on other seat settings and is a bit perplexing at times. But when parked up waiting for someone I have moved the seat as low as possible and as far back as it will go and thought it would be ok for an absolute giant, certainly up to about 6'6"... But that is without sunroof. 

For reference, I'm 6ft 5 in an SE-L exec without sunroof, have no issues with headroom. I have electric, full leather seats, all the way back in a fairly upright position. Is there anything that could be stopping your seat going all the way down? Can you measure the height from the base of the seat to the roof to see how much room there is?