Infotainment lost sat reception

Until recently, the infotainment navigation system on my Skoda Octavia Estate III worked well. Suddenly, it lost satellite reception. Can anyone advise please?

Could be a number of reasons but what model system do you have?  And you may need to do a reset in order to clear any issues, then give it 15-15 mins to find the satellites again...

Hello, thanks for your help. It is an Amundson system. I tried to do a Reset to Factory Settings but nothing appeared to happen. All radio stations remained. Stored destinations remained. etc. The map seems to be centered where the car probably was probably first registered near Worcester, although it is now in Dorset. Message indicated No Sat Reception.

IMG_20210411_113459899.jpg

IMG_20210411_113507959.jpg

Try taking it for a drive of 15-20 mins.  The system looks for satellites but it does not know their position, so will hunt.  By driving it keeps them actively looking and after that time you should have luck - if you do not then for some reason the connection to the GPS receiver has been lost or the unit (GPS receiver) is broken so it would then be time to tray a replacement. Do the drive first and see what happens.

Thank you. I will do that, but it is still strange that I was unable to do a factory reset. Is it possible that this function could be locked? I am also wondering if I should try to upgrade to the latest map update. I have never done that so it is at least two years out of date.

8 minutes ago, Medved said:

Thank you. I will do that, but it is still strange that I was unable to do a factory reset. Is it possible that this function could be locked? I am also wondering if I should try to upgrade to the latest map update. I have never done that so it is at least two years out of date.

Not going to do any harm at all...  go to https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ and download the relevant map after inputting your VIN.  The other thing - can you look at what the firmware you are running too?

I had a look at the website yesterday and it was a little confusing as the map is a zip file. Can this be directly downloaded onto the original Skoda SD card or does it have to be downloaded first to my pc, and unzipped before loading onto the to SD card?  

2 hours ago, Medved said:

I had a look at the website yesterday and it was a little confusing as the map is a zip file. Can this be directly downloaded onto the original Skoda SD card or does it have to be downloaded first to my pc, and unzipped before loading onto the to SD card?  

It has to be unzipped first.

I thought that might be the case. Anyway, I went for an hour's drive and still no sat reception. I'll download the update next. Thanks for your advice.

ok - so you are running 0430 firmware.  Slightly newer version than I was running in a 2016 VRS, which was 0318, but still out of date. My maps (Australia) were 2016 too, and by the looks of yours, they have likely never been updated either as you can see they are 115/16 versions.  So best thing would be to upgrade to the most recent and stable version of the firmware which is 1433.  Then I'd upgrade the maps.  Use the same SD card for both - the order doesn't make a difference but better to do f/w first.   Let me know if you need a link or I can upload the f/w for your to download too.  Big file - 3.78 gb

And can you also push the map button again after the map is on the screen. You will get the split screen menu instead of the full screen map. The default for the split screen is the compass - this can be changed in a drop-down box to GPS info. This screen will tell you how many satellites it and see and whether or not it has a lock and let me know how many you can see and what the numbers are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've lost navigation on my Amundson a couple of times - try this first, select 'eject SD card' in the infotainment menu, remove card, then refit.

Well worth updating maps too.

When I entered the VIN number, the site claimed that there were no software updates for the VIN, simply maps and radio station logos. Both are now being downloaded as zips onto my pc, extracted, and copied to an SD card. Is it ok to use the original Skoda card, I wonder.

4 hours ago, Medved said:

When I entered the VIN number, the site claimed that there were no software updates for the VIN, simply maps and radio station logos. Both are now being downloaded as zips onto my pc, extracted, and copied to an SD card. Is it ok to use the original Skoda card, I wonder.

The online site only looks after maps and in the UK and a couple of other countries, radio stations logos.  Firmware is the domain of the dealer and not generally user operated.  You can always try the original card assuming you format it as required.  If you are not sure, just buy a new card and use that - make sure it's class 10, and a decent capacity.

So, I downloaded and installed both the latest mapping onto the Skoda SD card, and the radio station logos. They were recognised by the Amundson infotainment. However, I still have a list sat reception message, even after a 30 min drive. Interestingly, when I contacted the Skoda chat line, they told me that there are 2 "campaigns" outstanding. Apparently these are software updates if some kind and are free via a Skoda dealer. The car is booked in next Tuesday. Perhaps, this may cure the problem.

In the meantime you can select the split screen option and choose the GPS option, this will show how many satellites are being seen - if that's zero then you have a proble with either the GPS antenna, the cabling to it or the GPS receiver in the Amundsen.

Today, I took the car to the S m da dealer for a couple of free software updates which were completed satisfactorily. However, in their report they wrote "Fault with radio signal. Fault codes stored with roof aerial new required". The cost for this is £196.70. Interesting, the radio works fine. It is only the GPS that indicates no reception.

Is it possible to purchase a new aerial and fit it myself.

On 15/04/2021 at 21:54, Medved said:

I tried this, but could not find this option.

Unless the 2017 model is markedly different from MY16, my understanding is that the radio and navigation aerials are separate - 'Shark fin' on roof for Sat-nav, the radio aerial is incorporated into the rear quarter-window glass.  

Can anyone advise if it is possible to replace the sharkfin antenna easily, or does it involve threading a cable through the car? Thanks for all the advise so far!

48 minutes ago, Medved said:

Can anyone advise if it is possible to replace the sharkfin antenna easily, or does it involve threading a cable through the car? Thanks for all the advise so far!

If you have one already it is just a replacement but you will need to pull off the roof lining to gain access to the bolts/nuts that hold it in place.  Most of them are pretty easy to replace - the hardest thing is removing the roof lining and then getting it back in situ