AnnoyingPentium's 2006 Fabia 1.2 12v Ambiente-ish: I Honestly Think I've Lost the Plot...

AnnoyingPentium

12 minutes ago, jcarr162000 said:

Watch out if you go for Bohemia seats. The side seat pad bolsters on the one I look after, are starting to collapse slightly and you can feel the wire frame in them

Lofty's vRS ones (see his Project Daffodil thread) did the same thing with the wire. He had a replacement base, in my case, I'll wait and see what I can find. I just need something that I'll fall out of less to be honest! :D

12 minutes ago, jcarr162000 said:

Lovely looking Fab and the Bohemia alloys do look good on it. 

Why thank you. It started on a set of steels with fairly abused original plastic trims. I have three left as one broke up into bits. The alloys make it look fresh now, not like a tired 14 y/o (15 in December) hatchback. They'll go back on the car when it gets sold with a replacement OEM cover. Let's just say I have some things lined up for the Bohemia wheels and the other Fabia-specific bits... :giggle:

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

+1 on it being duff shocks. They mightn't be leaking, mine werent but mine would certainly bottom out. Irish roads are also shockingly (get it?) bad and mine was bottoming out FAR too often. I blame the Sally gap for finishing them off :D.  If you were to replace the shocks I'd get some decent ones. The bilsteins my mk1 had were still in decent shape after all the abuse it took, certainly compared to the shocks off the mk2.

I've not found the mk2 bottoming out since I put the coilovers on, and it sitting lower now.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

Irish roads are also shockingly (get it?) bad and mine was bottoming out FAR too often.

Love it. :D

I'll look to replacing the shocks after I get the MOT done as the MOT gets done around my birthday and I'll have money kicking about. I'll be a jinx and say it'll pass this year. :giggle:

19 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Thankfully hasn't worn through the cover yet but I'd need to do something with it before it does.

I wonder if you'd still be able to get the seat base from somewhere.

Matt has said himself that the seat bases are unavailable these days, so your best bet might be a low mileage Fabia to vulture the seat base from.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I wonder if you'd still be able to get the seat base from somewhere.

Matt has said himself that the seat bases are unavailable these days, so your best bet might be a low mileage Fabia to vulture the seat base from.

Yeah I've read through Matt's excellent thread. He's a fountain of knowledge too.

A seat base cushion is one of the things I would have ordered by now if they were still available. But its the kind of thing that can be repaired without replacing if you get some decent foam. A job for the future for me!

• Like 1

Just now, HeavyMetalRich said:

He's a fountain of knowledge too.

Definitely, do you remember the time I accidentally made a Fabia interior spec thread? :D

Some of the models he could find were pretty amazing!

Just now, HeavyMetalRich said:

But its the kind of thing that can be repaired without replacing if you get some decent foam. A job for the future for me!

I don't have the creative skills for that one to be honest. If I can find a good set of Bohemia seats then it's a bonus. Either that or a set of the Pre-FL Elegance seats as I quite like the way they look!

• Haha 1

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

Definitely, do you remember the time I accidentally made a Fabia interior spec thread? :D

Some of the models he could find were pretty amazing!

I don't have the creative skills for that one to be honest. If I can find a good set of Bohemia seats then it's a bonus. Either that or a set of the Pre-FL Elegance seats as I quite like the way they look!

I do remember that one yes. I was the one suggested it should be stickied!:D 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I was the one suggested it should be stickied!:D 

We need a definitive Fabia Mk1 interior spec list, e.g. ICE, upholstery, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

We need a definitive Fabia interior spec list, e.g. ICE, upholstery, etc.

Yeah I love threads like that. There's one in the Felicia section or a special editions one at least. Its facinating to see all the editions, to me anyway. Saddo I am!:D

3 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Its facinating to see all the editions, to me anyway. Saddo I am!:D

Definitely fascinating, I do the same! I find the Parkers website is good for that when looking at the specs of all the Fabia models. The one I like the most has to be the Blackline as I'm a sucker for a Black Magic Fabia but I'd miss my air-con, fog-lights,  and other luxuries I've grown accustomed to. I've been trying to talk myself out of having to start a second project thread... if you catch my drift. :giggle:

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

Definitely, I find the Parkers website is good for that when looking at the specs of all the Fabia models! The one I like the most has to be the Blackline as I'm a sucker for a Black Magic Fabia but I'd miss my air-con, fog-lights,  and other luxuries I've grown accustomed to. I've been trying to talk myself out of having to start a second project thread... if you catch my drift. :giggle:

Ah you'll be a little jealous of my vRS then...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Indeed. I caught a glimpse of it in a photo of a new Fab that you put up and I think it looks nice! :)

Thanks, I've yet to post any pics of it properly but I'm working on it. I really should have a project thread for it too but I'm rubbish at taking pics as I'm working through a job. I tend just to plough through until its done or I come up against a problem that means I need more bits! :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I really should have a project thread for it too but I'm rubbish at taking pics as I'm working through a job.

Hence why there's no photos of my rear speaker replacement... I spent most of it on my back with the seats folded down and my legs hanging out the boot! :D

I like the vRS kit on a black Fabia but less so on the lighter ones (besides the Special Edition) where I prefer the standard bumpers. Standard bumpers with the small spoiler look good in any colour IMO, there's a few older Fab's cropped up like that on AutoTrader (no I totally don't have a saved search running). :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

Of course that means being left without a seat for a few days

Pinch one from your Mk1 perhaps? Since they use the same platform. That's if you didn't chuck the old Comfort seats though.

I could just put the passat seat from the other fabia in and put a resistor on the wiring for the airbag, probably what I will end up doing if I do it. I want to say its a 3 ohm resistor thats used to "remove" airbags without tripping the airbag light.

I kept the foams and covers from the mk1 but they're quite bad, mouldy too. 

Thats another thing, make sure your rear door carrier seals actually seal before winter sets in. Mine were bad and it destroyed my car inside, albeit my car was sat for about a year outside when that happened.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

Thats another thing, make sure your rear door carrier seals actually seal before winter sets in.

The fortunate thing is that this wee car is my daily and I check the seals etc. as often as possible. I'm more concerned about water lying in the drivers side front sill however.

T'was a nice morning, as they say.

20211020_075209.thumb.jpg.67f3bbd39915e9097b6bb42c3ed3bf7a.jpg

20211020_075159.thumb.jpg.d9bb821e2240998b62c118491237006d.jpg

Yeah it's still grubby, but it'll be getting cleaned soon with any luck.

Photographs replaced.
  • Like 1

Did something nice with the Fabia today in the one dry spell we had between finishing a lecture and taking the Spaniel out...

So, some of you will have seen the thread about these, but if you haven't then here you go. Metal pedal covers, purchased off of eBay for less than 20 quid.

Before:

IMG_20211021_155202_893.thumb.jpg.bde4ce2b48e23687b198c8996f8b035e.jpg

After:

IMG_20211021_155202_947.thumb.jpg.11c932fcc8d97729c0d4127a3e9f9172.jpg

I realise the brake one may not quite be on right, but I'll argue with it tomorrow morning when there's daylight. After a few (maybe 20-30???) harsher than normal slams of the brake, it feels secure but sits a wee bit funny. More on that tomorrow with the photos of other parts being fitted etc.

Was a dozy moron
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

It can be a bit annoying to get them to sit right on the pedals, just takes a bit of time.

Indeed, the accelerator one came off today when I was out with it. However, I've put a bit of heavy duty double-sided tape on the other side and it's stuck so far.

Internet Connection/PC Intensive Thread Update

Once again, more has been done to the car. 

The rear speakers had been done last week, but the fronts still needed done. As such, they were done today.

20211022_125515.thumb.jpg.142e4a6ff9f216ee5fa05c2e483850b9.jpg

Snapchat-2087685158.thumb.jpg.6bb2de162e14e76b09f7682dd3372af3.jpg

Snapchat-1112812389.thumb.jpg.77c1fcff0961e798158ad6f9e3877f5f.jpg

It was a hellish job undertaken by my Grampa and I today after studying HatBoyHarvey's YouTube video on door card removal. The other snag, much like the rears, was the fact I didn't have a wiring adapter. Therefore the original speaker spacers were butchered so we could get to and modify the connector. The new speakers provide miles better sound quality and bass response. Gives a nice rumble through the bases of the seats when listening to particularly bass-intensive music, Don't Make Me Wait by Bomb The Bass, to be precise.

Anyway, I also got some photos of the car, which with the dirt on it looks more like Cayenne Orange than ever in certain lights.

20211022_125107.thumb.jpg.7e108d0b795c44e5681ce8a5121d14d0.jpg

20211022_125058.thumb.jpg.24fedf35f7e3b108e2027851323a134a.jpg

That's all for now. I don't quite know what comes next for the Fabia, besides christening it with a name.

20211022_180121.jpg

Cleaning up
  • Like 1

Looking well for its age, only thing I would do is get some mudguards. Even the universal moulded ones are fine. Imagine it might be a bit hard to get original mudguards for a mk1 these days.

Otherwise I'd save up over winter and get some new shocks/springs in it, definately makes a big difference from worn out original stuff. You never know, might find yourself some low mileage shocks/springs on Facebook Marketplace and the likes. Worth a shout anyhow.

• Like 1