Planning to Tow With a New Car - BEWARE

58 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Could be that diffusor is pre-cut or at least outlined for the hole for the towbar?

Not sure what the diffuser is for.  My towbar fitter mentioned on the Tow Trust Swan Neck towbar the dealers sell a couple of covers for the bumper cutout  but he said if the cut is done discreetly they aren't  needed.

I may get further news on my issue tomorrow so I'll post any news ASAP.

• Like 1

I wonder if dealers will now start to order a proportion of their stock with tow bar prep.

Did a very unscientific check recently in our local town car park and about 20-30% of cars had visible tow bars.  Not sure if it is typical nationally though.   I guess actual proportion will be higher as I was not looking for retracted ones.

OK so we have the final outcome. Skoda cannot replace the VIN plate so it's a new / different car. In discussion with the dealer at present. Doesn't seem to be may new cars in stock in the country. Waiting to see the dealers figures (££££). That will be interesting!

4 minutes ago, AviationNut said:

OK so we have the final outcome. Skoda cannot replace the VIN plate so it's a new / different car. In discussion with the dealer at present. Doesn't seem to be may new cars in stock in the country. Waiting to see the dealers figures (££££). That will be interesting!

Good to hear you have a definite way forward - good luck finding a suitable replacement

4 hours ago, AviationNut said:

Good luck with the next stages and getting the right outcome.   So to understand, your dealer has confirmed and accepted that you shouldn’t be towing anything with the VIN plate as it stands? I need to go back to my dealer as he fitted a towbar with a VIN plate exactly the same as yours.  He knew it was for towing a trailer and bike rack when it was fitted. 

46 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

Good luck with the next stages and getting the right outcome.   So to understand, your dealer has confirmed and accepted that you shouldn’t be towing anything with the VIN plate as it stands? I need to go back to my dealer as he fitted a towbar with a VIN plate exactly the same as yours.  He knew it was for towing a trailer and bike rack when it was fitted. 

Interesting to hear what your dealer says and does. All the best.

Have the figures for a deal. Basically I've lost £4K on mine over six weeks and been offered the model down from mine for more money than I'm paying now. I need to put another deposit down!

Offered a hatch or estate. Need to figure in the cost of changing my GAP insurance and personal plate change.

Shall we say negotiations are ongoing. Not impressed last night. Well out of pocket for something that's miss sold and not my fault!

Keep up the negotiations. They’re in the wrong and should be bending over backwards to make sure you are not out of pocket.  Is there any merit in contacting and consumer bodies so you know you legal writes.  And which dealer is it?  Good luck.  

I feel I may be in the same situation albeit a towbar has already been fitted complicating the whole situation.  

39 minutes ago, AviationNut said:

Have the figures for a deal. Basically I've lost £4K on mine over six weeks and been offered the model down from mine for more money than I'm paying now. I need to put another deposit down!

Offered a hatch or estate. Need to figure in the cost of changing my GAP insurance and personal plate change.

Shall we say negotiations are ongoing. Not impressed last night. Well out of pocket for something that's miss sold and not my fault!

Oh my days that's not a deal; surely you can refuse the car, not sell it back?!

21 minutes ago, Aarond said:

Oh my days that's not a deal; surely you can refuse the car, not sell it back?!

Legally I should have rejected the car within 30 days but I didn't know this problem until last week. If the dealer is waiting for a mug to come along with an open wallet, looks like he's got one!

Car is six weeks old tomorrow (Friday 23rd).:@

1 hour ago, AviationNut said:

Legally I should have rejected the car within 30 days but I didn't know this problem until last week. If the dealer is waiting for a mug to come along with an open wallet, looks like he's got one!

Car is six weeks old tomorrow (Friday 23rd).:@

@AviationNut I think you do have rights though beyond those 30 days. I'd find out a bit more searching for you (consumer law isn't my thing) but need to crack on with work. A quick search suggests the below might be an option: 

On 06/03/2021 at 10:11, fox2319 said:

We kinda do, the right to reject under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.

When you buy the car, you have the right to reject it within 30 days for any defect. Between 30 days and 6 months, you can reject it but you have to give the garage one chance to rectify the fault.

Edited by Aarond

Maybe sorted out now. 

I've gone for a 2.0 Diesel in Quartz Grey from dealer stock. Issue does not affect the Octavia Diesels. Costing a bit more due to the engine option but end of the day its down to lesson's learnt.  Figures have been played around with so under our current circumstances we are going ahead. Dealer has offered to pay for my reg plate transfer I don't have to do anything on that (not sure how they do that as if they apply for a retention from DVLA say next week the number comes off the car immediately and I'mstill driving it,  we will see). Insurance won't be any more and I can do a deal with the GAP insurance people.  The servicing plan I took out can be sorted. 

Should have the new one within seven days.

To be fair the dealer has been extremely proactive on this and I would still definitely recommend them. Others may have been the opposite!

Most important, it's already booked in for the towbar! Hopefully I'll get 1K miles on and mostly run in before we go on Hols in May.

See what next week brings!!!!!!

• Like 2

Pleased for you that your dealer had been reasonable and that you have not been significantly penalised financially. 

I have to have the conversation with my dealer about swapping cars.  It’s complicated by the fact I paid them 750 pounds to fit a towbar and that my car is currently at another dealer due to the MPH/KMH issue and will be there for an unknown period.  

I’m for sure going to end up losing out somewhere.  

On 22/04/2021 at 06:50, Ajdude said:

Keep up the negotiations. They’re in the wrong and should be bending over backwards to make sure you are not out of pocket.  Is there any merit in contacting and consumer bodies so you know you legal writes.  And which dealer is it?  Good luck.  

I feel I may be in the same situation albeit a towbar has already been fitted complicating the whole situation.  

You are in a strong legal situation, as the dealer has done an non-legal modification. They are the trade expert and legally should have known better.    

In theory you could threaten to involve the vehicle inspectorate, and advise them that an MOT registered garage is making non-legal modifications to cars and would they be happy for inspectors to inspect yours.  Then say would your garage like to do the right thing and you won’t write to inspectors (at which point hopefully garage will realise they have lot to lose if they don’t take hit for their mistake).

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ajdude said:

I’m for sure going to end up losing out somewhere.

Unfortunately there's only one winner when buying cars and it ain't us. All the best.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AviationNut said:

Now have the Quartz Grey 2.0 TDi and today (Friday) finally got the Towbar fitted.

So good to hear you’ve got it sorted - hope you enjoy your trip away …

On 07/05/2021 at 21:05, AviationNut said:

OK folks. Now have the Quartz Grey 2.0 TDi and today (Friday) finally got the Towbar fitted. Caravan to be serviced next week and tyres to be changed (over five years old now and with COVID it's been sat in one spot for months) and away the week after. Stress levels have been high the last few weeks so looking forward to the break.

Best of luck to those having similar problems. 

Chris

20210507_191706.jpg

Is it a removable or a fixed one?

If fixed, does it get picked by the reverse sensors?

The towbar fitter demonstrated everything when I collected the car and the sensors etc. Work OK.

I opted for a standard Swan Neck 

On 10/05/2021 at 06:58, logiclee said:

So do we know what exact Mk4 Models are not homologated to tow? 

Seems like most of the Petrols if the sales literature is to be believed. 

Just now, AviationNut said:

Seems like most of the Petrols if the sales literature is to be believed. 

And the phev.  Unless specified with towbar prep. 
spoke to Skoda UK who are realising that the dealers have no idea about the requirement for towbar prep so are trying to advise them to learn about the rules and limitations. Just yesterday a salesmen was trying to tell me that you can get an aftermarket towbar fitted to a phev and that their independent fitter could do it.  I had to open the driver door and pointed to the VIN plate which read 0 for the GTW and then told him to read their brochures. Honestly, they only have 5 products to sell!   

• Groan 1

11 hours ago, Ajdude said:

Honestly, they only have 5 products to sell!   

To be fair 9. :D

Citigo, Fabia, Scala, Octavia, Superb, Kamiq, Karoq, Kodiaq and Enyaq.

• Like 1

Skoda UK can tell Sales Executive what they need to know about 'new cars' and what can have Towbars for like just bike racks or not even that, or towing.

(Grey Area of Towbars & Balls that can be fitted for Bike Racks but the car can not tow using this.)

So no Citigo's any more as the UK limited them to 400 into the UK, and they were never approved anyway when ICE or EV.

They need to know anyway if selling Used ones.

Now the Mk4 Fabia will be having order books opened.  They need to gen up on them.  Before taking orders.

Scala, Kamiq, Karoq,Octavia,Superb,Kodiaq & Enyaq.

They will need to get to know their arse from their elbow and their Petrols, Diesels, Mild Hybrids / Plug in, & Full Electrics.

• Like 1