1.2 TSI Vs 1.0 TSI

Looking to go back to having a Skoda after a few years of Japanese and Korean cars. Currently looking at 3-4 year old  Spacebacks and want a petrol engine as most of our journeys are short.

Cars of this age are either the 1.2 or the 1.0, with the majority being the 1.0 due to a slight update in 2017. From what I've read there are differing views over which is better but it seems like people typically rate the older 1.2 more. Do actual drivers believe this to be true or is the view.more based on number crunching the engine specs?

Also wondering about options. The vast majority in my area are SE Tech models. Almost none of the previous owners opted for the tinted rear windows. The only ones with tints appear to be the Sport model, which is like hens teeth around here. Is this the same UK wide (I'm in East Central Scotland) or is it people round here being tight on the add-ons?

It’s a good question, but not an easy one to answer.

Here are some things to consider (entirely subjective whether most points are a positive of negative):

Pre-facelift Rapids (including most 1.2 TSI models)

Limited standard equipment

The seats are not great

No valance trim in front seats

Engine used a timing chain

Many reports of trim creaking and rattles, clanking front suspension.

Post-facelift Rapids (including most 1.0 TSI models)

Improved equipment specs

Front wing indicators moved to wing mirrors

Nicer seats (not as hard and better cloth trims)

Front seats now have a plastic valance to hide the runners

Engine uses a timing belt

This is not an exhaustive list. Other members will hopefully add to this list or dispute it :)

Things like tinted Windows will have been an optional extra on pre and post-facelift models. 

The chain-driven 1.2 TSI has proved to be very reliable. Post facelift models are a bit better put together, simply because of normal refinements to panels and parts, and learning from the model’s initial mistakes (like the real door seals that blocked the water drains on early models).

Performance wise there’s not much in it between them. The 1.0 is more reliant on its turbo to deliver the boost needed to match the 1.2, but it really is minor.

Personally, if I were buying one now, I would go for a 1.0 post-facelift, no more than 3 years old and a full service history.

• Like 1

The numbers favour the 1.0 true, but Rapid expert Chris above has always had a 1.2 I believe.

I have 30k miles in each which say the numbers are wrong.

The 1.0 has on paper more torque, but the band is too narrow, and as a result it's much more demanding to drive smoothly. It is also noisier when accelerating and, like most triples, it's quite a nasty harsh noise. The 1.2 in comparison is creamy smooth.

Indeed, I would say the pre 2015 chain cam 1.2 is the nicest 4 cylinder I've ever owned.

The later 16V belt cam one you'll be looking at has a little more power and economy, and is I believe more reliable.

Depending on the registration date, some 1.2 only pay £30 road tax too.

BOTTOM LINE:

3.5 years after trading a 1.2 for a 1.0 I still regret it.

It's a rubbish drive in comparison.

Edited by camelspyyder

I had 3 Toledos and 1 Rapid with 1.2 engines (in various forms) and a 1.0 TSI as well. All the engines were economical and reliable. The 1.2s were marginally more refined than the 1.0 but the 1.0 was slightly more powerful and with more usable torque. If you buy any of the engine versions you will not be disappointed as they are all excellent. Have you considered a Toledo rather than a Rapid as you getmore goodies for your money? Also I think that the Toledo is the more handsome car.

Thanks all. Funny you should say that Robby as I've been looking at the Toledo (same one you have) due to the extra bells and whistles. Sadly, there are none locally so I'll have to wait it out or travel to Inverness!

I'll see if I can test drive a 1.2 and 1.0 for comparison.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 09:13, charco said:

Thanks all. Funny you should say that Robby as I've been looking at the Toledo (same one you have) due to the extra bells and whistles. Sadly, there are none locally so I'll have to wait it out or travel to Inverness!

I'll see if I can test drive a 1.2 and 1.0 for comparison.

If you're in/near the Highlands, the poor torque characteristics of the 1.0 are really magnified by hilly terrain. I would avoid it.

On 28/04/2021 at 17:34, charco said:

Looking to go back to having a Skoda after a few years of Japanese and Korean cars. Currently looking at 3-4 year old  Spacebacks and want a petrol engine as most of our journeys are short.

Cars of this age are either the 1.2 or the 1.0, with the majority being the 1.0 due to a slight update in 2017. From what I've read there are differing views over which is better but it seems like people typically rate the older 1.2 more. Do actual drivers believe this to be true or is the view.more based on number crunching the engine specs?

Also wondering about options. The vast majority in my area are SE Tech models. Almost none of the previous owners opted for the tinted rear windows. The only ones with tints appear to be the Sport model, which is like hens teeth around here. Is this the same UK wide (I'm in East Central Scotland) or is it people round here being tight on the add-ons?

Good luck with your search!

The SE Tech is a good spec - the Sport offers bigger wheels, harder seats and a big glass roof that doesn't open...when we shopped for one the Sport was an obvious no-go.

Tinted windows are very easily added for no more than £200, I would have thought and any good dealer will be able to get them tinted for you if that's what you desire.

We have a 2017 Rapid Spaceback 1.0 TSI (95bhp) with a DSG box and a 2018 Toledo Xcellence 1.0 TSI (Was a 110bhp but with a remap to 143bhp) with a manual box.

The Toledo has a very good spec and higher quality interior materials than the Rapid, it is a step up I feel. The leather steering wheel and gear knob are a softer leather, the seats are half fake leather and half fake alcantara which feel nicer on my bottom than the cloth in the Rapid.

The Toldeo is my daily driver and with the remap it's absolutely fine - not slow, not sluggish, 6th gear is a little tall so you may need to drop down to 5th if you're trying to drive up a steep hill at 60mph. My average MPG which I calculate brim-to-brim is just over 48mpg across 16,000 miles. Most of this driving is B roads, my best MPG over a full tank was 58mpg which was almost all motorway at no more than 70mph. A true 50+mpg is more than possible with more motorway driving.

The Rapid is my wifes car and we use that at the weekend. The suspension and steering is more firm and direct which is a good thing because the Toldeo is very soggy. The DSG box is better for all-round driving i'd say but the annoying delay on pull-away gets on my nerves if needing to get out of a junction a bit quick.

In terms of engine noise my Toledo runs on Shell v Power and is noticeably quieter than the Rapid which only gets supermarket fuel. 

I cannot comment on the 1.2 4 cylinder engine but we are very happy with our two 1.0 engines on our driveway. 

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to advise I got the Toledo Xcellence. Fantastic car so far. The 1.0TSI is a great engine and the car itself is really comfortable. Cruises nicely and even the wife says she enjoys driving it. Fuel economy seems great for a petrol.

Did you have to declare your remap on the insurance?

• Like 1

@charco 

Not declaring mods like Remaps, Tuning Boxes or other non standard factory parts or options can void your insurance.

Really not a good thing for yourself, but at least there will be 3rd party cover for others if unfortunately there is any claim against you or your insurers.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 13:07, charco said:

Updated to advise I got the Toledo Xcellence. Fantastic car so far. The 1.0TSI is a great engine and the car itself is really comfortable. Cruises nicely and even the wife says she enjoys driving it. Fuel economy seems great for a petrol.

Great choice! Then I would say that because I have one 👍

All mods should be declared with your insurance if you're following the letter of the law. 

I hope you enjoy the car. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I have one too. Soullessly bland but good value. As long as corners aren't your thing.

Has anyone got one on a better tyre than the awful OEM Bridgestone RE050??

I put up with those Bridgestone's for 6 years, 6 years was far too long. Finally changed for Kumhos last year, what a relief, should have done it sooner.

13 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I have one too. Soullessly bland but good value. As long as corners aren't your thing.

Has anyone got one on a better tyre than the awful OEM Bridgestone RE050??

You describe the character of the car very well but I would add comfortable. spacious, frugal and safe. Depends what you want really. Before coming back to the Toledo I had a 276 BHP Superb L&K which had every luxury you could think of. However I found my self using the wife's Dacia when the destination had tricky parking and , worst of all, being irked by "challenges" from lesser models pulling up next to me at traffic lights which required me to crush them with the might of the Superb's horses. Pretty unedifying for a 70 year old and hence I went back to the souless and bland Toledo.

Edited by Robbydazzler
  • Like 1

• Sponsor
On 31/05/2021 at 13:07, charco said:

Hi.

If you're thinking of a remap and have any issues with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1