SE L 1.0 115 DSG fuel economy

Baldur73

Hi

i am looking at a 2020 SEL 1.0 115 DSG to replace my 2015 320d GT but am worried about a couple things. For information I am averaging over 3 years 54.5 mpg according to the computer in my car at the moment against the manufacturers stated 57.6 mpg.

1. Fuel Economy- my commute is 32-42 miles each way so 72 or 84 miles per day. What sort of MPG can I get driving frugally on that trip?

2. The car has 18” vega Aeros and tyre options seem to be rather lacking. What tyres do other users go for?

3. Will this car cope with a 20000 a year mileage and what are servicing costs like for that? A local “stealer” said £140 per service and roughly 1.5 services a year

4. There are a couple steep hills near me, how will this cope with them?

5. how easy is it to activate adaptive lane guidance?

9 hours ago, Baldur73 said:

I am looking at a 2020 SEL 1.0 115 DSG to replace my 2015 320d GT but am worried about a couple things. For information I am averaging over 3 years 54.5 mpg according to the computer in my car at the moment against the manufacturers stated 57.6 mpg.

1. Fuel Economy- my commute is 32-42 miles each way so 72 or 84 miles per day. What sort of MPG can I get driving frugally on that trip?

2. The car has 18” vega Aeros and tyre options seem to be rather lacking. What tyres do other users go for?

3. Will this car cope with a 20000 a year mileage and what are servicing costs like for that? A local “stealer” said £140 per service and roughly 1.5 services a year

Skoda Scala 2020 1.0 TSi 
 Power: 114 hp | 85 kW | 116 PS
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 PCD: 5x100
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5
Tire 
Rim 

205/55R16 91V 6Jx16 ET40

205/55R16 91V 6Jx16 ET38

205/50R17 89V 6.5Jx17 ET40

195/65R15 91H 6Jx15 ET35

195/60R16 89V 6Jx16 ET35

205/45R18 90V 7Jx18 ET39

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/scala/2020/

205/55R16 is Europe's most common car tyre size. It's also a good option for the Scala. It has a reasonable amount of sidewall height, so will help protect the rims from pothole damage.

Edited by Carlston

53 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Skoda Scala 2020 1.0 TSi 
 Power: 114 hp | 85 kW | 116 PS
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 PCD: 5x100
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5
Tire 
Rim 

205/55R16 91V 6Jx16 ET40

205/55R16 91V 6Jx16 ET38

205/50R17 89V 6.5Jx17 ET40

195/65R15 91H 6Jx15 ET35

195/60R16 89V 6Jx16 ET35

205/45R18 90V 7Jx18 ET39

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/scala/2020/

205/55R16 is Europe's most common car tyre size. It's also a good option for the Scala. It has a reasonable amount of sidewall height, so will help protect the rims from pothole damage.

It comes with 18” vega aero alloys so needs 205/45 R18 tyres on the Scala. The 17” standard spec wheels are much more desirable imho.

I am thinking of buying 16” steel rims buy winter tyre set and would probably buy summer tyres to suit. 

The car is on PCP so it will be one less thing to worry about (I am drawn to kerbs)…

3 hours ago, Baldur73 said:

I am thinking of buying 16” steel rims buy winter tyre set and would probably buy summer tyres to suit.

15", 16", 17", 18" winter tyres and rims listed on "eshop skoda cz"

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/zimni-kompletni-kola/c/winterSetOfWheels?q=%3AscoreDesc%3AcarType%3AScala%2B%282019%2B%29&text=#

Edited by Carlston

I get 27mpg on a 2.5 mile school run through heavy traffic from a cold start. On a decent motorway run, 52mpg plus is easily achievable. That is with climate control on and a not particularly light right foot, for what it's worth. 

Mine is a 1.0 115ps DSG SE-L on the stock 17 wheels.

Skoda servicing costs are very reasonable - certainly the cheapest of the VW Group, unsurprisingly. 

Hills? Don't worry. The car has more than enough torque to manage. Easy to gear-brake on the way down with the DSG in manual mode as well.

Thanks, 

6 hours ago, Mdev said:

I get 27mpg on a 2.5 mile school run through heavy traffic from a cold start. On a decent motorway run, 52mpg plus is easily achievable. That is with climate control on and a not particularly light right foot, for what it's worth. 

Mine is a 1.0 115ps DSG SE-L on the stock 17 wheels.

Skoda servicing costs are very reasonable - certainly the cheapest of the VW Group, unsurprisingly. 

Hills? Don't worry. The car has more than enough torque to manage. Easy to gear-brake on the way down with the DSG in manual mode as well.

thanks - that relieves  my fuel cost anxiety 😦 

as for the hill I probably will notice a difference from a 320d but I think the things I gain from the Skoda far outweigh my fanboy attachment to BMW…

Service costs compared to what I am driving will no doubt be very reasonable 😂😂 I thought Seat would be the cheapest though as I thought Skoda were above them in the VAG group “premium” scale? 

I am probably going to dump the 18” alloys as soon as I can, despite having 19” alloys now I don’t see the appeal of big alloys - poorer ride / more cost / worse fuel economy / I kerb them!!

Had my 1.0 115ps DSG SE-L for 13 months now covering 11k miles

Good News

Just done a 340 mile round trip got 56.8 MPG mostly UIK motorway sticking to 95% of speed limits have had 60+ last summer when warm.

Bad News

Because of the UK Covid lockdowns I have done a ton of short journeys mostly 3 to 4 miles to the shops rarely getting up to temperature

My average MPG from new is now just 37.6 MPG

Good News

My battery has fully topped up at last as the rotten stop start has come back to life

The infotainment system leaves a lot to be desired (All VAG cars are getting a very bad press over this) but the adaptive cruise control is wonderful on motorways

Well your early mileage is promising but I don’t think any ICEs are good at those type of stop start short trips. My partners mini only toodles about and she gets about the same. 

is the stop / Start bad or do you just not like the feature in any car? 

I have heard mixed reviews about the infotainment but it has CarPlay so if it is gash then I will use that. Compared to the 2015 Bmw pro system it is bound to be better although I still like physical buttons and twirly bits.

Interestingly my bro had a Beamer (after a golf and Audi) and hated the infotainment in it and much prefers the VAG system?!

what are the speakers like? 

Oh ACC is one definite good feature and I am going to code it to pACC and add adaptive lane assist. 

On 05/05/2021 at 08:55, Baldur73 said:

Hi

i am looking at a 2020 SEL 1.0 115 DSG to replace my 2015 320d GT but am worried about a couple things. For information I am averaging over 3 years 54.5 mpg according to the computer in my car at the moment against the manufacturers stated 57.6 mpg.

Have you driven one yet? I think you'll find it very different to a 320d. You're used to a big comfy amount of torque, in the 1.0 3 pot torque doesn't really exist. The DSG box will be better than a manual but you'll definitely be prodding the pedal harder on hills with an expected downshift. 

As for mpg, with mostly motorway driving you will see 50mpg +. They run sweeter on V Power, much quieter engine. 

If you can adjust to it after the diesel you will find a good car. 

I must add I don't have a Scala but I do have a 2017 Rapid Spaceback with a DSG box and a 2018 Toledo with a manual box on my driveway so I do have some experience with these engines. 

As much as I like the Skoda I actually am going with a Hyundai Ioniq Premium Se electric over 3 years PCP.

I calculated the all in running cost (tyres/service/tax/insure/fuel/pcp) makes the Hyundai cheaper over 3 years (despite costing £7k more to buy).

I ran my calcs on 52mpg at £1.27 litre fuel costs and both are optimistic whereas the el cost I used 19p/kWh and %100 self funded - whereas I may be able to get some free charging done at work..

just have to cope with a maximum range of 193 miles which will possibly be nearer 130 in winter..

• 2 weeks later...

@Baldur73 I genuinely did not see that coming, but that is from my perspective of the Australian market which is way behind the UK in adopting and promoting EV.

You have done your sums for your particular circumstances and it makes sense.

The cheapest Scala here is the 1.5tsi manual and is priced at A$28000 drive away, while an Ioniq EV is A$53166.

I currently buy our 95 Ron fuel priced at A$1.35 (although that can increase by up to 50% more for a few days).

There are no financial incentives to buy an EV in my state of South Australia (Victoria have just announced a $3000 subsidy but are likely to impose a 2cent per kilometre 'road tax' for EV and hybrid because they pay no fuel excise).

So you can see there is no real financial logic for us to buy an EV......however

Despite our federal government's ongoing love of carbon, particularly coal, there are going to be big changes over the next 3 to 5 years driven by improved renewables and battery technology (and international condemnation of the Aus Govt stance with punitive carbon taxes).

One thing for sure is that implementation of the Australian electrical grid revolution is going to be really painful, expensive and not well thought out because politics.

If there is one thing that Covid has taught us is that the countries that have handled it the best have followed scientific advise. The same will stand for climate change.

Using similar logic to you I've decided to forego buying a new replacement car and wait for more affordable and hopefully more efficient EVs to appear on the Australian market, hey it might be a Skoda by then.

From  your original post I'm surprised you  were only averaging 54 mpg in a diesel driving frugally on a long commute? From my limited experience of driving a diesel in maybe soon to be  'Lesser Britain' I would expect at least 10mpg more.

@Gerrycan the problem we have is the size of our country, the lack of EV charge stations and the vast distances we need to travel.

Id love to see EV/hybrid cars be more popular here, however it would need someone super forward thinking to put things into practice. On a side note at least we don't pay the ridiculous price those in Singapore pay for owning a car. My Karoq if purchased in Singapore would equal around 130k AUD.

1 hour ago, whitevx said:

@Gerrycan the problem we have is the size of our country, the lack of EV charge stations and the vast distances we need to travel.

Id love to see EV/hybrid cars be more popular here, however it would need someone super forward thinking to put things into practice. On a side note at least we don't pay the ridiculous price those in Singapore pay for owning a car. My Karoq if purchased in Singapore would equal around 130k AUD.

EV are perfect for urban travel, but I agree that interstate is a more challenging. I'm confident that things will change.

I have had solar panels for 10 years and they have paid for themselves times over but when I do eventually get an EV I think I will probably invest in a much bigger PV and domestic battery system.

Currently my backup plan for long blackouts is a $250 2kW petrol generator for the fridge freezer, everything else is luxury really. Candlelight is so romantic :) 

19 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

EV are perfect for urban travel, but I agree that interstate is a more challenging. I'm confident that things will change.

I have had solar panels for 10 years and they have paid for themselves times over but when I do eventually get an EV I think I will probably invest in a much bigger PV and domestic battery system.

Currently my backup plan for long blackouts is a $250 2kW petrol generator for the fridge freezer, everything else is luxury really. Candlelight is so romantic :) 

Yes I love the idea of having solar panels plus a back up battery. If I had of settled in the previous town I worked in, I would have gone the whole hog. I wouldn't put panels on the roof though, to many house fires with them causing problems for Fire Fighters.

It's a shame VAG didn't bring a diesel option on the Karoq, I would have easily gone for that option instead of the EA888 in my Sportline.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

@Baldur73 I genuinely did not see that coming, but that is from my perspective of the Australian market which is way behind the UK in adopting and promoting EV.

You have done your sums for your particular circumstances and it makes sense.

The cheapest Scala here is the 1.5tsi manual and is priced at A$28000 drive away, while an Ioniq EV is A$53166.

I currently buy our 95 Ron fuel priced at A$1.35 (although that can increase by up to 50% more for a few days).

There are no financial incentives to buy an EV in my state of South Australia (Victoria have just announced a $3000 subsidy but are likely to impose a 2cent per kilometre 'road tax' for EV and hybrid because they pay no fuel excise).

So you can see there is no real financial logic for us to buy an EV......however

Despite our federal government's ongoing love of carbon, particularly coal, there are going to be big changes over the next 3 to 5 years driven by improved renewables and battery technology (and international condemnation of the Aus Govt stance with punitive carbon taxes).

One thing for sure is that implementation of the Australian electrical grid revolution is going to be really painful, expensive and not well thought out because politics.

If there is one thing that Covid has taught us is that the countries that have handled it the best have followed scientific advise. The same will stand for climate change.

Using similar logic to you I've decided to forego buying a new replacement car and wait for more affordable and hopefully more efficient EVs to appear on the Australian market, hey it might be a Skoda by then.

From  your original post I'm surprised you  were only averaging 54 mpg in a diesel driving frugally on a long commute? From my limited experience of driving a diesel in maybe soon to be  'Lesser Britain' I would expect at least 10mpg more.

I had a bmw 320d GT automatic and the old Skool “official mpg” is 59mpg and WLTP of 56mpg whereas on honest John the average is 49mpg. So 54.3 mpg is pretty respectable. That is with coasting enabled which I had to code in my self which increased the mpg by maybe 2-3mpg. 

I live in northern Britain near the original perth and have a 36m commute on twisty, hilly roads with 4 villages/towns to pass through so it isn’t really a great run for maximising mpg. 

my alternate route is +10 miles a day but only has 2 towns to go through - but 10 miles a day is 2000 miles a year and even with better mpg it does cost more in fuel and added wear and depreciation.

Concerning range my maximum daily mileage is only 120 miles and average is 90miles which is comfortably within this vehicles range. Otherwise we have two cars so can use the petrol for longer journeys.

The range on EVs will no doubt improve during the three years I have it and another matter is that although EV is the current “future” power source it doesn’t entirely rule out some other green tech popping up and changing the landscape entirely..

I do love the Scala though and it is the car my heart wanted but the 320d gt was what my heart wanted and it emptied my bank account faster than a Hollywood housewife 😂

lesser Britain? Pfft never.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whitevx said:

I wouldn’t entirely see that as a disadvantage as being late adopters of EV infrastructure will mean you don’t pay the early adopter premium for everything and benefit from the experience / lessons learned in other countries. 

what is interesting in the ev field (and something I am surprised wasn’t initially introduced) is the use of swappable batteries to negate charge times.

I cannot understand why a standard interchangeable battery format wasn’t agreed apart from a competitive “our batteries are best so buy our car” or handing a good battery back and getting a duff one in exchange.

I think one Chinese manufacturer is introducing this though. 

When we drove around similarly the steep and narrow roads of Cornwall in a diesel our consumption dropped by 20mpg to 50mpg so I know where you are coming from.

I said earlier that EV are excellent for urban journeys but I suspect that they are also good in the terrain and journey type you describe. Every time you brake you are not converting your inertia to heat but putting something back in the battery.

At this early stage of battery development I don't think it is feasible to try to implement a common interchangeable format because the technology is likely to become outdated very quickly.

Bad enough trying to standardise the plugs.

I recently read about developments in Aluminium based batteries (by an Australian university) that acted more like a supercapacitor so although it did not quite have the energy density of Lithium it offered potentially relatively low cost from common materials, light weight, no temperature issues during use, long life and the ability to charge in seconds. Of course take the claims with the usual pinch of salt but interesting none the less.

My 'perfect' EV would offer superior efficiency to any existing EV, so either be like the Lightyear 1, or better still the Aptera. The latter is sort of a futuristic cross between my first vehicle, a BMW Isetta 3 wheel bubble car and the aerodynamics and seating position of the gliders I used to fly. 

I do like good aerodynamics in a vehicle which is why I can't bring myself to go back to an SUV, petrol or electric.

What car did you have that averaged 70mpg?

That is seriously impressive and the 320d GT would never manage that.

The best I managed was 60-62mpg which isn’t great compared to the standard 320d saloon.

I absolutely love Cornwall, probably one of the nicest parts of Britain. 

@Gerrycan the good thing with EV,s is you might very seldom use your brakes.  The regen to the battery can be from just being off the accelerator so coasting and charging, or more regen while decelerating so knocking off speed, or use regen like changing down gear.  I do plenty miles and have front wheel drive but might as well have rear drums like the VW Group EV with rear wheel drive as my discs are very rusty from little use other than coming to a stop from about 5mph.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I was warned to use my brakes occasionally as there are EV drivers whose brakes have rusted to death due to lack of use as they use the generator to brake..

I don’t know if that is an urban myth though?

• Like 1

Thanks, guess I will have to start braking occasionally!!

What EV do you have? 

as this is the Skoda forum I should say had the enjaq been out longer it would have tempted me.

I have wanted a Skoda for years ever since my family used to sell the old rapid back in the eighties..

Wow! You are an old hand at EVs!! I looked at the e corsa, leaf and Peugot before opting for the ioniq as it ticked more boxes for me. 

Any tips for a new ev owner?