Oil and filter change 1.9tdi

Straight forward question ( I think )

my car has been serviced every year inc full oil and filter change 

( last serviced 3/6/20 @ 94262 miles using Syner Z 5w30 oil following a full engine flush ! )

to date the car has cover just 4700 ish miles since now the car is 12 years old but remained in very good condition and still does what it says on the tin probably worth more to me than is potential selling value ( and no dpf handy considering my low miles usage )

DO I need to have the oils and filter changed annually from this point forward ?

thanks for any replies much appreciated 

You dont have to, but a yearly oil and filter is probably the cheapest preventative maintenance you can do to an engine. you can get oil and filter cheaply, use a pella oil sucker rather than bothering with the sump plug, filter no problem to change I still do my land cruiser every year at 22 years old. 

• Like 3

• Sponsor
On 06/05/2021 at 11:05, davidwhite said:

Straight forward question ( I think )

my car has been serviced every year inc full oil and filter change 

( last serviced 3/6/20 @ 94262 miles using Syner Z 5w30 oil following a full engine flush ! )

to date the car has cover just 4700 ish miles since now the car is 12 years old but remained in very good condition and still does what it says on the tin probably worth more to me than is potential selling value ( and no dpf handy considering my low miles usage )

DO I need to have the oils and filter changed annually from this point forward ?

thanks for any replies much appreciated 

As the poster above really.

You do not have to, but an annual oil change is good practive for preventative maintenance.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 2

Hi 

thanks for the reply guys

maybe I didn’t make my question clear enough 

I’m kind of thinking that the oil used in my car has been subjected to 5k miles ( normal use 13 miles to and from work couple of time a week rest on journeys of at least 10 miles each way ) in that year but is it not the same oil used in cars on a 20k service plan ? 

Or

Does oil have a one year shelf life once it’s in the car ?

It'll be fine leaving it longer, as long as the usage profile continues to mostly involve journeys where the engine runs for at least a few miles at full operating temperature.

40 minutes ago, wiilydog said:

I would go for 5w40 VW  spec 505.01 for annual changes as it's cheaper and offers better protection as oil was design for PD engines without DPF.

Thanks for the heads up I’ll have a look into your recommendation ( or at least I’ll question my garage mechanic if he’s using the best option ! )

11 hours ago, davidwhite said:

Hi 

I’m kind of thinking that the oil used in my car has been subjected to 5k miles ( normal use 13 miles to and from work couple of time a week rest on journeys of at least 10 miles each way ) in that year but is it not the same oil used in cars on a 20k service plan ? 

Or

Yes normally the same oil but the variable service schedule (circa 20k) is more for people who do big mileage.

When I used to run company cars I ran 4 Skoda's and did around 50k a year so it had a service twice a year.

So yes you could run it longer but for what an oil change cost's if you do it yourself it's just not worth it.

I can get Millers C3 5w30 which is up to spec and a decent filter for under £30 and it's a 20 min job.

• Sponsor
On 09/05/2021 at 08:34, davidwhite said:

Hi 

Or

Depends on various things, how long an oil will last. Use, service schedule, quality of oil, specs of the oil and various other variables.

A longlife oil will go the full distance of 20k if that is the set distance/time, a non longlife oil will need to be changed more often. Longlife servicing is ideal if the car is doing long regular mileage, oil likes that. What oil does not like is short, stop/start regular journeys so if the car sees that kind of use you are better off not using a longlife service with the cost of longlife oil and go for fixed servicing every 10,000 or so, or once a year, which ever comes first.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1