When replacing the cam belt & water pump, what else...

...should I make sure I do?

I'm thinking that, whilst space in the engine bay is being created and access to most areas will be easier, is there anything else I should be changing/servicing/checking?

I already plan to give it a comprehensive service at the same time. I would welcome thoughts from the mk1 hivemind!

Cheers in advance

Aux belt will need to come off to do the cambelt and costs £10-20 extra to replace.

While you're in there I would also check the following:

1. Breather hoses (prone to disintegrating) - lots of people replace them with silicone ones.
  2. Dipstick (also prone to disintegrating)
  3. Ignition coils - part numbers will give you a clue if they've ever been replaced or if the free upgrade has been carried out
  4. When the ignition coils are out, check for oil down the spark plug holes (leaking rocker cover gasket)

Spark plugs are NGK PFR6Q IIRC, they do last quite a while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nutters_uclan said:

MK1 vRS hatch 

OK. Hint - you can't rely on 2 posts on a forum like this that sorts by date and time being together, never mind in a specific order.

39 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

Aux belt will need to come off to do the cambelt and costs £10-20 extra to replace.

While you're in there I would also check the following:

1. Breather hoses (prone to disintegrating) - lots of people replace them with silicone ones.
  2. Dipstick (also prone to disintegrating)
  3. Ignition coils - part numbers will give you a clue if they've ever been replaced or if the free upgrade has been carried out
  4. When the ignition coils are out, check for oil down the spark plug holes (leaking rocker cover gasket)

Spark plugs are NGK PFR6Q IIRC, they do last quite a while.

Thanks PetrolBloke, that's really useful. I'll certainly keep my eye out for those potential issues. Cheers.

I've ordered a full set of those NGK plugs. The car came with very little documentation, so I'm playing it safe, even though you're quite right that they  are durable.

• Like 1

When I have had the timing belt replaced, I get these parts changed as well:-

1/ Aux belt

2/ Timing Belt Tensioner (06B 109 477)

3/ Timing Belt Idler Roller  (06B 109 243F)

4/ Water Pump  (Over time the plastic impeller can break up, always use VW part)

5/ New engine mounting bolts (single use stretch bolts)

Edited by Silver Bullet
  • Like 1

Brilliant, thanks silver and Kenny. I'll look into those suggestions.

I'm thinking of taking the sump off, too, and replacing the oil uptake pipe. I've read quite a few threads about issues with that. With so little documentation available to me, I've got no idea how regularly it's been serviced. Seems like another "better safe than sorry" job.

• Like 1