Skoda Fabia III 2016 1.2 TSI 90 Greenline

jemjem

Hello Forum readers

My current summer tyres are Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (215/45R16 86H) which travelled 60 000km and I was very happy with the all-round performance (wet grip, fuel economy)

Unfortunately, I need to change to all-season tyres and I'm not sure what size I can go up to if the brand I want doesn't have my exact size.

The Bridgestone are hugely expensive but durability is important so it's worth it.

As is wet-grip, good braking and not gas-guzzlers.

Any other suggestions as to brand would be hugely appreciated.  

Thank you

@Carlston might be along to help.  You Google tyre comparison chart and see if a 205/50R16 might be an alternative size for an all season tyre.   Brands and prices might very much depend on which country you are in and availability.  I can not see where you are.

Here's four all-season tyres to add to your shortlist. However, I would be looking at changing to 185/60R15 as it's a much cheaper size than 215/45R16, and gives a better ride and better fuel economy.
185/60R15 can be used as a spare wheel as it fits in the wheel well when inflated. The 215/45R16 only fits in the wheel well when deflated, so isn't suitable for use as a spare.
The Goodyear Gen-2 all-season tyre is now an old model, but the latest Gen-3 model doesn't appear to be available yet in size 215/45R16. The Goodyear Gen-2 below, is an Audi specific tyre as it's marked with "AO". This means that Goodyear made this tyre specifically for an Audi model (possibly the Audi A1) but it's OK to use it on the Fabia MK3.
The Michelin CrossClimate+ is also a popular all-season tyre, but doesn't appear to be available in the 215/45R16 size.
The Vredestein Quatrac will probably give the most mileage.
Skoda should have chosen 175/70R14, 185/60R15, and 195/50R16 as options for the Fabia MK3 instead of 175/70R14, 185/60R15, and 215/45R16. Skoda chose 215/45R16 instead of 195/50R15 to fit in with the current super wide, super low profile fashion craze...a bit like when everyone thought that flared trousers were super cool back in the 1970's.
Notice that the latest VW Polo and Audi A1 are starting to use more sensible tyre choices such as 185/65R15...no doubt chosen because of the much better ride and improved fuel economy. Also, with such high sidewalls you don't usually break your rims when driving over potholes, ie. they are pothole resistant.

215/45 R16 90V XL 
 All-season tyres
Roll resistance CWet grip ANoise emissions 71dB

Continental AllSeasonContact
215/45 R16 90V XL 
 All-season tyres

Roll resistance CWet grip BNoise emissions 72dB

215/45 R16 90V XL AO 
 All-season tyres
Roll resistance CWet grip BNoise emissions 69dB

Vredestein Quatrac
215/45 R16 90V XL 
 All-season tyres
Roll resistance EWet grip BNoise emissions 70dB

Edited by Carlston
  • Groan 1

205/40R17 and even 215/45R16 fit in the spare tyre well inflated.  As to going to 185,s on a car with OEM 215,s. Is just crazy really for All Season / All Weather tyres if going to use them all year as in All the seasons in all sorts of weather.   Well in my opinion and experience.                Simple enough to know if the tyres and wheel on the car fit in the tyre well and the boot goes flat.  Try one off the car.   Hopeless and not simply clever any cars that can not carry an inflated like for like wheel and tyre safely stored if needs must. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 hours ago, Carlston said:

The 215/45R16 only fits in the wheel well when deflated

Why do you think this size changes width significantly between deflated and inflated on a specified rim width? Because that's what I think you're presently saying.

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

...As to going to 185,s on a car with OEM 215,s. Is just crazy really for All Season / All Weather tyres if going to use them all year as in All the seasons in all sorts of weather.   Well in my opinion and experience...

185/60R15 tyres were used on the 2016 Skoda Fabia MK3 1.2TSI 90PS.

Skoda Fabia 2016 1.2TSi
 Power: 89 hp | 66 kW | 90 PS 
Tire 
Rim 

185/60R15 84H 6Jx15 ET38 2.1

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/fabia/2016/#trim-12tsi-eudm-89

185/60R15 tyres were also used on the 2016 Audi A1 1.4TFSI 125PS.

Audi A1 2016 1.4 TFSi
 Power: 123 hp | 92 kW | 125 PS 
Tire 
Rim 

185/60R15 84H 6Jx15 ET29 2.2

215/45R16 90V 7Jx16 ET34 2.1

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/a1/2016/

Edited by Carlston
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for your help and advice.

I've decided to go for Summer tyres.

I checked the rim size (R16)  though it was a special edition and was fitted with alloy wheels. (bought in France 2016)

I've read and re-read all the wheel options from the links you sent and wonder if it's best to stick to the exact size. (certainly the rim size -wouldn't I then need new rims if I changed the tyre rim size)?  

I've read a few stories about other niggles arising after buying tyres of different dimensions.  But I'm far from knowledgable on the subject.

Skoda Garage wanted 150€ per tyre to replace the ones I had, plus fitting.  As the car is almost five years old, there must be better and less expensive options.

Longevity, fuel economy and optimal for wet and dry weather are high priorities.

I just drive comfortably.  

Thank you for any further advice you can offer.

I'm still driving on winter tyres!

Not sure if you are still in France, or what your local tyre centres are like.

Generally, if you want a better price, order in advance on internet (although some smaller ones only do by phone), there are companies like pneus online that allow fitting at a local centre (or even mobile fitting, where they bring them in a van and do at your home), you can also enter the size, or name and size in google then click the shopping word under the search box and it will search for you.

Do not worry about 86H, generally will now be 90 (which can take more load) and V (240km/h max) instead of H (210km/h max)

you can go higher, but not lower, and 86H are not really made anymore (so might be old stock)

Edited by SurreyJohn

Thank you Surrey John

Yes, I'm still in France 

I've decided to go for the 

Goodyear EFFICIENTGRIP PERFORMANCE 2 
215/45R16 90 V XL, FP
and was wondering about the 86H code but you've answered that for me too.
Huge thanks for all the help received for my query.
:handshake: