2016 skoda superb 2.0 tdi laurin & klement dsg auto 6spd

Just got this car, my 3rd Superb, I love them. I'm not one for manuals, is there a video somewhere that would explain the instrument panel/interior controls that a layman can understand? Thank you in advance.

I waited until SWMBO wanted to go shopping, then whilst I sat in the car for an hour or so whilst she was busy, I worked my way through the controls.  Some are quite easy to understand and you don't need the handbook, but others can be a bit more complicated, such as the navigation.  I looked at the basics first, then went on from there.  I found the easiest way to understand anything with multiple settings is to get a grip on the initial setup first, try it out, then go further into the settings another day once you're happy with the stage you've reached.  There are some parts of the navigation system that I've never tried using after owning the car for 4 years!

The car is very different to the cars I drove when I first had my licence in the late 1960s.  Back then, you learned the controls from reading the handbook in 2 minutes, though they were so simple you hardly needed to read about them.  Apart from adjusting your seat and interior mirror, there was nothing else to set..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Penpusher said:

The car is very different to the cars I drove when I first had my licence in the late 1960s. 

Amen. Cars are rolling computers now. I used to be able to do all my own work on my motor – rebuilt the carburetor on my V8 Camaro just by taking it apart piece-by-piece, installing the new bits and reassembling. Solved the battery charging problem by tightening the fan belt. 

Thankfully, as motors became more and more complicated, my income rose to meet the servicing requirements.

@omnipeta  I don't know of any video. There is a pdf manual you can download, and there should have been one supplied with the car. Or, like Penpusher said, just trial and error. Or, pretend it's the 60's and just put it in "D" and go! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Me too.  I used to lots of my own maintenance and I've carried out such jobs as replace a head gasket, water pump, brake discs, etc but now I don't do anything like that.  For me, it's mainly due to age (I'm 70 soon) and I've had health problems over the years that have included rheumatoid arthritis since my late 20s, which has restricted what I can do.  

Life was different when I first started driving and I started work in accountancy on £8 per week and couldn't afford to pay someone else to carry out all the maintenance on the car.   I'm now retired and in the fortunate position to have a nice house and decent pension, so I can afford to pay someone to service the car.  I  would guess that far fewer people do any maintenance on cars themselves now with them being much more complicated, but I could be wrong.  I said I don't do anything now, but I do regularly check the levels, tyre pressures, etc and carry out simple tasks, such as change the wiper blades rather than pay double the price for the dealer to change them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, freelunch said:

pretend it's the 60's and just put it in "D" and go! :biggrin:

Spot on! I've almost decided to ignore all the "clever" stuff - media, satnav, settings, park assist etc - and simply enjoy the drive. Just got rid of two manual cars because left-knee osteoarthritis was making for an uncomfortable clutch pedal operation. One of those cars was a Morgan; turn the key, into gear, flick the fly-off handbrake and away we go. Simples! I shall miss that if ever we get warm and sunny days again :rain:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

left-knee osteoarthritis

Are you certain? I ask because my GP mis-diagnosed gout as early onset osteoarthritis, and gout is very treatable to at least relieve the symptoms with allopurinol and possibly diet changes (I had to stop drinking full sugar soft drinks in favour of diet versions).

Ha! I'd hate for this thread to get hijacked by gout sufferers, because there are plenty of us on this forum (I'll bet). But, yes, gout: thank the NHS they have pills for that, because it's excruciating (I know).

And, thanks to the DSG (my first automatic) I will never again experience the nuisance that is a manual transmission in a 20-mile motorway jam. :doh:

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the advice, I think I'll follow 'penpusher's' advice. :-)

Edited by omnipeta