New to DSG, am i right...

DaveK0974

Hi all, got my 1st DSG (115/SE) this weekend, love it so far, best Skoda we have had.

My observations, can anyone confirm....

1 - When stopped, foot light on brake, the revs are a little high, maybe 1100, does that indicate that the clutches are at biting point, i.e. slipping ready to pull away?

2 - When stopped, foot harder on brake, the revs drop to idle, does that show that box is in full neutral i.e not  slipping clutches and not heating the clutch up?

3 - is it ok to sit with foot fully on brake for say a whole traffic light cycle - in manual i was taught to go for neutral/handbrake to stop wear on clutch mechanism etc

Its a lovely car to drive and for such a small engine, surprisingly poky :)

Edited by DaveK0974

At normal lights I just brake ( auto hold ) and stay in drive, at a 4 way set of lights or in a long queue I will go to N.

I have had 3 DSG cars and would not have any other.

• Like 1

With a DSG and no E-brake or 'autohold' if stopped for more than just a short time or in adverse weather etc then do as the Highway Code says. Do not dazzle so select N and apply the Parking brake.   With some VW Group cars you need to be aware that Auto hold has the brake lights on.  So with a car with Auto hold check if the brake lights do show.  If you have a car like that there might be times you want to put on the E-brake if sitting a while rather than having those behind sitting looking at your brake lights.    PS. Hillhold Assist is different from Autohold,  so stopped and just light brake and the clutches do have you with the clutches working and all good with a DQ200 dsg. Brake applied and car on a slope you have Hill hold assist operating for a couple of seconds as you come off the brake, select drive, release hand / parking brake. Stops the car moving, but this is not Autohold. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Thanks.

Just hit a snag so it will be going back to service dept - went out today and the infotainment system has not only lost all its radio memories it keeps rebooting every minute or two.

Not happy but i'll chalk it up to 'new car syndrome' provided they can fix it :)

• 4 months later...
On 09/05/2021 at 17:38, DaveK0974 said:

Hi all, got my 1st DSG (115/SE) this weekend, love it so far, best Skoda we have had.

My observations, can anyone confirm....

1 - When stopped, foot light on brake, the revs are a little high, maybe 1100, does that indicate that the clutches are at biting point, i.e. slipping ready to pull away?

2 - When stopped, foot harder on brake, the revs drop to idle, does that show that box is in full neutral i.e not  slipping clutches and not heating the clutch up?

3 - is it ok to sit with foot fully on brake for say a whole traffic light cycle - in manual i was taught to go for neutral/handbrake to stop wear on clutch mechanism etc

Its a lovely car to drive and for such a small engine, surprisingly poky :)

The proper way to drive a DSG is NEVER let it creep with your foot lightly on the brake.  Come to a stop, hold it still as you say foot solidly on brake. Then remove foot completely and let it roll. Yes you can sit as long as you like at lights and as clutches are controlled electronically wear will be minimum

On 11/05/2021 at 22:46, DaveK0974 said:

The car also will not connect or charge via the two USB-C sockets - my guess is the sockets are fubarred and need changing???

Anyone else seen this???

Could be crappy cables    Never use cheap junky ones

Just always put your foot on the break firmly and leave gear in D or S no need for neutral, it disengages the clutch. Even with an autohold i keep it on the brake because years of conditioning with a dsg without autohold :D

Edited by soussi
spelling

Unless you are paying attention to the UK Highway code.

Then do not hold your foot on the 'Brake' pedal or even leave a car with Autohold that puts the Brake lights on for extended stops, maybe weather conditions where Brake Lights are dazzling the road user behind you,  (Bikers, Cyclists, low sports cars, just anyone generally.)

Just a British thing for many, common courtesy.   Put in in N & Apply the Parking Brake. 

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.16.57.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2021 at 03:15, e-Roottoot said:

Unless you are paying attention to the UK Highway code.

Then do not hold your foot on the 'Brake' pedal or even leave a car with Autohold that puts the Brake lights on for extended stops, maybe weather conditions where Brake Lights are dazzling the road user behind you,  (Bikers, Cyclists, low sports cars, just anyone generally.)

Just a British thing for many, common courtesy.   Put in in N & Apply the Parking Brake. 

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.16.57.png

Well I would prefer to have my BRAKE lights on rather than sit there and have someone drive up my a**e because they thought I was still moving. Seems like a stupid rule to me especially i these days when we have DRLS and some have them with the rears on all the time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Groan 1

If you have cars / vehicles stopped behind you they know you are stationary and not moving.     In the UK and some other countries the rear DRL,s need not be enabled.   That is where the country does not legislate that they are required  They do not get handed over new from dealers enabled other than the few European countries.    Where there are idiots that in poor visibility can not even switch on their headlights so the tail lights then having brake lights is at least as bit of a clue to the visually impaired driver that a car is stopped in front of them.   If plenty Muppets around that have no idea that the DRL,s are only showing at the front. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Exkiwi said:

sit there and have someone drive up my a**e because they thought I was still moving.

If someone has stopped behind you it's a pretty fair bet that they have realised that you are not moving even if you're not dazzling them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

If you have cars stopped behind you they know you are stationary and not moving. 

And what if you are last one in the line  . Where I drive if no brake lights showing the ones behind start to creep up on you.

That is a very interesting place you drive then.   ? Does nobody there apply the parking brake if stopped for extended times, just everyone sits with foot on the brakes, or all vehicles with AUTOHOLD have the Brake lights on. ?

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

That is a very interesting place you drive then.   ? Does nobody there apply the parking brake if stopped for extended times, just everyone sits with foot on the brakes, or all vehicles with AUTOHOLD have the Brake lights on. ?

Well I just read the road rules for our state and there is nothing about having to do what your rules say. Only thing about dazzling is that you have to dip headlights in lit areas and if a car is coming toward you or you are following less than 200m behind one. May be our traffic lights have faster sequencing than yours as we rarely have to sit for an extended time at one. But then I dont live in a city.

Only time i use the handbrake is if there is a road blockage and I have to sit for a while and I dislike auto hold but love ACC.

Also is very flat where I live   and most times you can just flick it into N and sit there with no feet on anything  LOL

Incidentally I have enabled the rear tail lights with DRL's so have them on all the time.

PS  I missed the bit in your road rules that says ONCE THE TRAFFIC BEHIND YOU HAS STOPPED......................................which changes perspective a bit I guess but I still keep foot on brake as said  above

Didnt you guys read about the huge pile up in USA where there was a big pile up and it got bigger because the stopped cars didnt have any rear lights on and trucks and all piled into the back of it all and was over 40 there in the end

Edited by Exkiwi
  • Confused 1

Motorway pileups happen in the UK all the time, and those stopped will often not put on hazard lights.      There are weather conditions in the UK on any road where drivers will put on no lights even in fog, or when no fog sit with rear fog lights on. Days after there was fog even.  Than Front Fog lights say, look how cool me and my car is when on and there is no fog. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Crying 1

58 minutes ago, Exkiwi said:

Well I just read the road rules for our state and there is nothing about having to do what your rules say. Only thing about dazzling is that you have to dip headlights in lit areas and if a car is coming toward you or you are following less than 200m behind one. May be our traffic lights have faster sequencing than yours as we rarely have to sit for an extended time at one. But then I dont live in a city.

Only time i use the handbrake is if there is a road blockage and I have to sit for a while and I dislike auto hold but love ACC.

Also is very flat where I live   and most times you can just flick it into N and sit there with no feet on anything  LOL

Incidentally I have enabled the rear tail lights with DRL's so have them on all the time.

PS  I missed the bit in your road rules that says ONCE THE TRAFFIC BEHIND YOU HAS STOPPED......................................which changes perspective a bit I guess but I still keep foot on brake as said  above

Didnt you guys read about the huge pile up in USA where there was a big pile up and it got bigger because the stopped cars didnt have any rear lights on and trucks and all piled into the back of it all and was over 40 there in the end

Why are you confused

Edited by Exkiwi
Quoted wrong post but never mind

@Exkiwi

@ why you would think that anyone in the UK with a Motorway speed limit of 70 mph would bother looking at articles about Highway pile ups in the USA. 

Motorways are rare north of Perth Scotland right enough but then that does not stop people getting rear ended or wiped out totally. 

Sometimes while even parked in a layby which might get mistaken as a slip road because that is rather too common on trunk routes.

34 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

those stopped will often not put on hazard lights

Given time, I'll use my hazard lights whilst I'm braking, but when I'm stopped and someone else is stopped behind me I see no reason to leave them on in a healthy car!

• Like 2

With regard to the original statement about the high revs, my new Scala 7 speed DSG is the first automatic I have owned for many years. I have always driven manual cars and vans but my wife has always had autos of various makes (including a DAF, remember them?) All the petrol cars have ticked over at 800 rpm whereas the Skoda stays at 1000. I have always gone into neutral and applied the hand brake in my manual but left my my wife's autos in drive with the hand brake on, no problem. However the higher revs on the Skoda mean it tries to pull away against the brake. In the old days I would have taken a screwdriver to the carb and turned it down but I can't do that now and the dealer tells me they can't either.

It raises the question, am I doing something wrong? Is it a peculiarity of VW Group DSGs that the revs stay high? I have driven various Audis and VWs and never noticed it.

It isn't spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britunculus said:

With regard to the original statement about the high revs, my new Scala 7 speed DSG is the first automatic I have owned for many years. I have always driven manual cars and vans but my wife has always had autos of various makes (including a DAF, remember them?) All the petrol cars have ticked over at 800 rpm whereas the Skoda stays at 1000. I have always gone into neutral and applied the hand brake in my manual but left my my wife's autos in drive with the hand brake on, no problem. However the higher revs on the Skoda mean it tries to pull away against the brake. In the old days I would have taken a screwdriver to the carb and turned it down but I can't do that now and the dealer tells me they can't either.

It raises the question, am I doing something wrong? Is it a peculiarity of VW Group DSGs that the revs stay high? I have driven various Audis and VWs and never noticed it.

It isn't spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

There are two point on my car - with foot hard on the brake and box in D or S, the revs are about 850-900 and no attempt to move, its in full neutral. As I release the pressure on the brake to say a light hold, the revs will lift to 1000 and the DSG will go to biting point on first gear - this is the point that you do not want to hold for too long as its the same as slipping the clutch on a manual.

Check for the two rev points with handbrake off and foot hard on brake, then lift foot a little - the revs should change, if not I would consult a service garage maybe. I have not tried the same with handbrake but I would expect the DSG to be biting if its in Drive as It would be expecting a hill start maybe? Normally when handbrake is on the box would be in N.

Edited by DaveK0974