Calling all silica bag coolant experts!

Hi, please can anyone tell me if this looks right, the two jars on the left is what is in there, the other jar is new coolant so you can see the comparison, there seems to be rust/crud in the bottom of the tank, and I can hear the bag but can't see it as it is the double skinned tank.

The heating is also pretty cool at 23 degrees and I'm sure there is a difference across the front vents. 

It's 68 plate so still under warranty.

20210509_123727.jpg

20210509_123743.jpg

20210509_123810.jpg

20210509_123816.jpg

I removed the silicate bag last year, mine however was the 2015 version, so the bag was relatively easy to manipulate to the filling hole and then carefully remove with needle nose pliers. The coolant was clear with no deposits on the tank, a sign I hope that the bag hadn’t split or leaked. If the car is still under warranty then I would suggest an immediate trip to the dealer, as I’m sure this is well documented with Skoda.

Agreed - the bottom of that expansion tank does not look good.  I think Silica has gotten into the heater matrix; there is a TPI associated with this, so agreed - get Skoda to do it under Warranty.

FYI - I removed a silica teabag from a 68k mile VRS and I caught it JUST in time - the faulty seam at the top of the silica teabag was about to split.  It is so much harder if you have a double-skinned tank.  Pot luck on which one you get.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

On 12/05/2021 at 14:50, varaderoguy said:

Agreed - the bottom of that expansion tank does not look good.  I think Silica has gotten into the heater matrix; there is a TPI associated with this, so agreed - get Skoda to do it under Warranty.

FYI - I removed a silica teabag from a 68k mile VRS and I caught it JUST in time - the faulty seam at the top of the silica teabag was about to split.  It is so much harder if you have a double-skinned tank.  Pot luck on which one you get.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers yes sounds like it could be any time they decide to split too.  Good job you caught it in time.