Knocking noise when accelerating and turning

AndyTij

Hi All

I've got an odd one at the moment, I was wondering if anyone has encountered it before.

Got my Yeti in 2019, all was fine.

Last August, I got a nail in my rear left tyre, I took it to get fixed at a tyre shop (tyrecity), they did a repair and stuck it back on. Following that there appeared to be a knocking / rattling noise that came from the wheel when turning right.

I had a look at my tyres, they were getting a bit cracked, so I decided to replace them all.

I took the car to a different place (KwikFit) and got four Goodyear Effgripper2s.

I mentioned the knocking noise as I handed the car over, they guy took a look as he was changing them, and said that the other tyre shop had "Loaded the tyre wrong after the repair"

The knocking noise went away, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about, although I'd imagine loading a tyre is just bunging a load of air in it, though there might be more to it than that.

Anyway, it was fine for several months, but now the knocking noise has returned, this time from the front, mainly when accelerating and turning right, occasionally accelerating and turning left.

Never when breaking and turning, or turning without applying power.

I took it to the KwikFit where I got the tyres from, and said what the previous guy said about Loading the tyre, they looked baffled.

They checked the suspension, joints, springs, shafts, everything, and basically said, sorry, can't help you.

I asked again about this loading thing, and they said they had no idea what it meant.

So my question it, has anyone had this before? I must admit, was never a thing on any of my previous cars.

I have seen on other forums that it might be the CV joint, but they inspected that and said it was fine.

I've got the 1.2 Turbo 2016 model if that helps

Thanks

Andy

By loaded I’m guessing he meant weighted to balance. Stick on weights should be used in specific areas of the wheel. If clip on weights are used they can catch on things under certain conditions. Or if stick on weights are stacked on or in the wrong spot they can do the same. 

the current front knock is a symptom of a cv joint going. 

Edited by Parkesie

Any advisories on any previous MOT's?

Has the wheel that was on the N-S-R when you had the puncture been refitted on to the front when you had the 4 new Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres fitted?

Thanks, AG Falco 

Hi. 

The tyre related noise is a puzzle.  I agree that "Loaded the Tyre" actually means "Affixed a balance weight to the wheel". The left rear wheel has more weight on it when turning right at speed, so conceivably if there was a very small clearance between a protruding balance weight and something static (like a brake backplate) then a slight distortion could take up that clearance and result in touching. But I must confess that seems a bit unlikely. You would expect to see shiny marks left on the bits that touched.

I think the new noise is something different, unless you can remember noises and assure us it sounds exacly the same.  I agree that a CV joint is the most likely suspect. A CV joint only needs a tiny bit of wear/play to exhibit knocking noises.  Not enough to see or feel by hand when up on the ramps.  The standard test is to drive round in an empty car park on full lock with power applied and listen. At low speed there will be no weight transfer from side to side as in the situation above. Clearly, if it is starting to wear and you do nothing it will just keep wearing till it is completely knackered and there IS detectable play.

Or you’ve got a stone trapped in the disc brake - happened to me and sound was just like a CV joint failing. In the end it was horrendous in the same conditions you mention and horrible noise sometimes reversing on lock,  the dealer had to strip the brake down to get a piece of flint out.

On 14/05/2021 at 19:19, Parkesie said:

By loaded I’m guessing he meant weighted to balance. Stick on weights should be used in specific areas of the wheel. If clip on weights are used they can catch on things under certain conditions. Or if stick on weights are stacked on or in the wrong spot they can do the same. 

the current front knock is a symptom of a cv joint going. 

Thanks Parkesie, I did notice something resembling weights in the wheels when I was cleaning them once, and something that resembled glue where one might have been, I'll read up on this.

On 15/05/2021 at 17:41, weasley said:

Wheel nuts tight?

Yeah, they are all tight, they checked that at the garage, I watched them try to wobble the wheels

On 15/05/2021 at 12:50, e-Roottoot said:

Best the car is checked by a time served or trained mechanic or technician rather than a Fast footed tyre and exhaust fitter that might or might have a NVQ in something but not connected to Mechanical Engineering.

Yeah, my next job will be to take it to the place I get the MOT done, I took the Yeti to a different KwikFit before for it's service and MOT, and I kept getting Oil Service warning lights, took it to KwikFit they reset it, two weeks later it was back, took it to the local(ish) garage, they had a look, reset the service light properly and it's been good since.

Every time I go to KwikFit I like them a little less, but I also like not having to leave the car at the garage for a whole day.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 22:29, Expatman said:

Or you’ve got a stone trapped in the disc brake - happened to me and sound was just like a CV joint failing. In the end it was horrendous in the same conditions you mention and horrible noise sometimes reversing on lock,  the dealer had to strip the brake down to get a piece of flint out.

Interesting, we to take it into car parks around the surrey hills, it is possible, I'll mention it to the next place I go, would that not be an issue when breaking rather than accelerating.

I'm guessing there will be some indentation on the disc where the flint rubbed?

On 14/05/2021 at 19:32, AGFalco said:

Any advisories on any previous MOT's?

Has the wheel that was on the N-S-R when you had the puncture been refitted on to the front when you had the 4 new Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres fitted?

Thanks, AG Falco 

No advisories on the last MOT.

When they changed the tyres they all came off at the same time, so it is possible that the wheels didn't go on in the same positions.

On 14/05/2021 at 20:16, Austin 7 said:

Hi. 

The tyre related noise is a puzzle.  I agree that "Loaded the Tyre" actually means "Affixed a balance weight to the wheel". The left rear wheel has more weight on it when turning right at speed, so conceivably if there was a very small clearance between a protruding balance weight and something static (like a brake backplate) then a slight distortion could take up that clearance and result in touching. But I must confess that seems a bit unlikely. You would expect to see shiny marks left on the bits that touched.

I think the new noise is something different, unless you can remember noises and assure us it sounds exacly the same.  I agree that a CV joint is the most likely suspect. A CV joint only needs a tiny bit of wear/play to exhibit knocking noises.  Not enough to see or feel by hand when up on the ramps.  The standard test is to drive round in an empty car park on full lock with power applied and listen. At low speed there will be no weight transfer from side to side as in the situation above. Clearly, if it is starting to wear and you do nothing it will just keep wearing till it is completely knackered and there IS detectable play.

I did notice these weights in the wheels, and I think I noticed one missing.

So I'm guessing that if one is loose, then it might make a noise, would they not be under centrifugal force whilst spinning, holding them in place?

Thanks

Lots of red herrings about.

The car needs inspected on a ramp, maybe with wheels off or on a jack etc.

Balance weights are stuck to the outside of alloy wheels.  They are not In the alloys as in inside the tyres.

If balancing wheels then balance weights might well get removed before new ones are stuck on.

The weights can come off accidentally and leave a wheel / tyre out of balance.

There are cars with TPMS that have the device inside the tyres.  This is not the Factory System with a Yeti.

(Balance beads go inside tyres.)

Used maybe on Offroaders / Motor Cycles etc.

2 hours ago, AndyTij said:

Interesting, we to take it into car parks around the surrey hills, it is possible, I'll mention it to the next place I go, would that not be an issue when breaking rather than accelerating.

I'm guessing there will be some indentation on the disc where the flint rubbed?

I thought so too, but noise was not really related to braking, turning at lower speeds and cornering at higher speeds as well as occasionally reversing were the worst. Some suggested reversing at high speed then jamming the brakes on could dislodge it but didn't work for me!

Get it to a dealer to check, the usual place for the stone to lodge is between the disc and inner shield so you can't see any scoring from outside.

Edited by Expatman

• 2 weeks later...

I took it to a local garage today that wasn't a chain.

They said that the drive shaft needs replacing, and a dogbone that holds the gearbox in place.

Parts are on order, I'll know next week 100% if they are right.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Andy