Heat shield rattle clips and bolts corroded through shield

I have been hearing rattles and vibrations when driving my car. Was under neath today and noticed  the heat shielding felt very loose, looks like the clips have corroded through the shielding and some bolts are missing. 
does any one know a way a can attach  it back to the car securely where it has bust through. 

D586C722-93A8-4A0D-9E6B-8D1DCC09A634.png

C1EBCB75-39A1-43E9-822B-18CDBA8F6509.png

I had this on my son's polo and I got new clips and made big washers out of the metal lids off of  pasta sauce  jars and put them on and secured them with the new clips. 

• Love it! 1

the fixings are star nut locking washers and you can fit them with a long impact socket.

looks like your heatshield has corroded through with the washers still in place so you will need to rectify this with either a new HS or larger washer as suggested above 

The shield is aluminium, bearing in mind how quickly a steel can lid will rust to nothing in Scottish weather it may be better to make washers from an aluminium drinks can.  Just fold several layers to get sufficient strength.

If you drill a small hole through the "washer" you may find knocking it on over the pin grips enough to make the star washer unnecessary.

Edited by MicMac

7 hours ago, MicMac said:

The shield is aluminium, bearing in mind how quickly a steel can lid will rust to nothing in Scottish weather it may be better to make washers from an aluminium drinks can.  Just fold several layers to get sufficient strength.

If you drill a small hole through the "washer" you may find knocking it on over the pin grips enough to make the star washer unnecessary.

3 hours ago, erindad said:

aluminium and steel placed together do not mix , the steel will rot the aluminium (electrolysis ? )  so better with an aluminium washer 

The lids I used were all off glass sauce jars and were painted/coated in whatever food lids are covered in so I dont think it would be an issue.

I tried being tight and not using new star washers and just the lid washers as you suggest  and the heatshields rattled again quite quickly as the washers didnt grip tight enough  new star washers underneath did the trick.

Edited by seriesdriver
spelling