1.5 TSI EVO (130) Issues - Still Kangaroo...?

jww

Hi all,

After 5 happy years in my superb estate I'm moving to pastures new...

The car i'm looking at (a Golf) has the 1.5 TSI  Evo (130) and after reading through some stuff on Briskoda from 2019 I'm now terrified that this engine is a complete lemon and I should avoid at all costs...

If the car had the kangaroo-ing issue would it be 100% obvious in a test drive or is it of the intermittent variety? Do most engines have it or is it not that common? After reading the stories of unhappy owners having a software update that didn't actually fix the issue it gave me flashbacks to having the emissions update done and then promptly removed from my superb... :-D

I was intentionally looking at the 1.5 because i thought the 1 litre would be under-powered. Is this the case?

Anyway, any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Thanks all!

Jamie

Skoda did not do the 1.5 TSI with 130ps output so peoples experiences of a 150ps in a Skoda might be different including any that had the 'kangerooing' issue.

A member here had a 130PS 1.5 tsi in a Seat and he reported no issues and was looking to remap it for a bit more go.

To find out if there is much of a difference in performance between a 110,113 or 115ps 1.0TSI and a 130ps 1.5tsi is something best tried out by road testing the cars.

Plenty in the Fabia, Scala, Kamiq, Karoq & Octavia section report good things about their 1.0TSI's.

I have driven SEAT and Skoda models with a 1.0TSI and 7 speed DQ200 DSG and liked them and did not feel them lacking in power.

That was not driving the cars with passengers and stuff in the boot though.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hi, 

Thanks for responding! I wasn't aware skoda didn't use the 130 that's really useful. 

I've dug through the seat forum and there are a lot of horror stories. The dealer in question only offering a 15 minute test drive so will pass I think. 

Thanks for your help! 

Jamie

Hi I've just recently bought a 2020 1.5 TSI Octavia and can report absolutely no "kangarooing" issues at all. Car is really smooth to drive and quite refined (in comparison to my previous 1.6 CR TDI with 196k on the clock). It's not particularly quick in 1st and 2nd gear but comes into its own in 3rd and motorway driving is a joy. 

If you have a test drive option - try on bad road.

For me (1.5 / 150 / dsg) after updating engine soft I still have this issue, but more rare and only on  bad roads (In Ukrainian cities we still have some streets with bad roads)

My Dad has a 18 plate mk7.5 Golf 130 evo DSG and he has never mentioned any kangarooing to me. He has been perfectly happy with it and has had loads of cars! 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone point me to other threads about the 1.5 EVO engine please?

I test drove a T-Cross auto today, when moving away from a stop it felt like a jolt, then 1st gear sounded like it was revving very high before a jolty change into 2nd gear, after that everything was smooth as can be, the further upshifts and downshift, no problems at all, just the move off/1st/2nd issue.

The car has only done 6500 miles, June 2021 registered, 1 owner and immaculate condition, but this issue is putting me off buying it, any ideas on the cause/fix, I read on another forum that thee was an extensive thread on here about it but this is the only one I can find in the search.

I also drove a 1.5 EVO Taigo auto and that was smooth as anything, so I guess that it's a T-Cross problem which may be fixed in newer models?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Sounds more just a DSG issue as a 2021 1.5 TSI engine should not have the issue that required the Software Updates.

Links here in a post from me this morning.  Threads in a few sections over the past 3 years.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505561-if-not-touranzas-then-what/page/2

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506516-karoq-kangerooing

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for the links, I'll have a look through before I go back for a 2nd drive at the weekend. 

Do you think if it's a DSG issue we should steer clear or is that something that can be adjusted/sorted out? 

Thanks again for your help