Accept or Reject

Hi , i have posted many times on the software problems. My car ha been in to the dealer 3 times since i took delivery late Jan. Various problems as you have all seen. As the car had been since last visit , stable , i just got to accepting that ok there will be some minor problems going forward and ill live with it

But today , black screen, turned it off locked and restarted the car after 5 mins . Screen came on but no clima. Restarted again and it came back.

So should i ask the dealer to again look at a problem they wont understand how to fix or should i go about rejection ( its  vw lease) . If i don't do anything now , what the hell is the car going to be doing or not doing in 6 months

Quick question for you.  Does your device part number end in a letter?  

If you have a first edition model, with no letter I would be heading straight to rejection (which is what I have successfully done).  

Edited by Ajdude

Oh dear! That’s supposed to one without issues.  Bin it and walk away. Skoda have managed to produce a car that’s just not ready for the market.  

The hire car I’ve got whilst waiting for the mph/kmh is a new model Ford Kuga.  In 4 weeks of having it from it being new, no issues at all!  As it should be!  

Perhaps I’ve made a mistake accepting a newer octavia after my rejection of the FE model I had. 

Reject it.

Life has got so much better since I handed back the keys and got a car that isn't a magic 8-ball of faults. and rushed production qualification

I rejected and have never felt as good as before I owned the car.

You are paying for a car, not years of stress.

Think about that and decide.

• Like 2

There are plenty of car makes and types that are not littered with faults

Would you accept multiple faults if it was something like home central heating, or a new television.  Same principle why keep it if it annoys you.

Wouldn’t be first car put on sale about year before it was ready.  Riley Pathfinder 

Edited by SurreyJohn

14 hours ago, Gax said:

I rejected and have never felt as good as before I owned the car.

You are paying for a car, not years of stress.

Think about that and decide.

Absolutely - reject it. I did. Got a mk III Octavia. Everything works. I get in it to drive and I have complete confidence in it. When I had the mk IV I got in the car waiting for a problem. Couldn't enjoy it. Why should you put up with something that you have spend thousands on.

Definitely get rid is my opinion.

Hi all , thanks for the responses so far

As  the car is a personal lease with VWFS on a 3yr term, what do you think would happen if i did reject ? A) They give me another car from the range B, Let me walk away from the lease with no more payments.

Any advice would be appreciated 

It depends on what you want. Write to them and tell them what you are expecting from them, I'd start at a full refund of all money paid and leave it to them to try to negotiate you down. 

Personally, I didn't want to deal with current gen VW tech so I took a full refund and then went for a Tiguan. Same engine as my Octavia had but it's based on previous gen. Consequently, everything works. 

I think I need to look elsewhere!  I really like the look of the Mk IV and was fully expecting to get one to replace my excellent Mk 3 VRS.  Initially got put off by to inconsistency over standard kit (heated steering wheel and option packs that were inconsistent (that is unprofessional)).  Then there was a price rise and then I keep reading about all these issues.  I know the lack of buttons would be irritating but having things not work is really poor from Skoda.  What has happened to them?

5 minutes ago, fox2319 said:

It depends on what you want. Write to them and tell them what you are expecting from them, I'd start at a full refund of all money paid and leave it to them to try to negotiate you down. 

Personally, I didn't want to deal with current gen VW tech so I took a full refund and then went for a Tiguan. Same engine as my Octavia had but it's based on previous gen. Consequently, everything works. 

Thats the thing , i dont know what i want , i love the VRS , it drives well , looks great. Cant think of any other car in that segment i would want. I wanted a Kodiaq Sportline but it was too expensive. Aftersales manager at the dealer is calling me today. I expect that as others have said that a new software version above 1788 will be available. Ill keep y'all posted

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Greezy56 said:

Hi all , thanks for the responses so far

As  the car is a personal lease with VWFS on a 3yr term, what do you think would happen if i did reject ? A) They give me another car from the range B, Let me walk away from the lease with no more payments.

Any advice would be appreciated 

I made my intention to the dealer in writing (by email). The dealer did basically nothing whatsoever for several weeks, other than keep saying to me (whenever I chased it up, they NEVER once contacted me with an update) that they were in touch with Skoda. About what? No idea and not my concern.

After around three weeks of nothingness I finally demanded they fulfil the reject immediately. My dealer had a little hissy fit like a petulant child, saying these things take time, but the next day it got sorted miraculously quick. 

I was in the same boat as you, PCP through VWFS.

The process was finalised by the dealership refunding me all of my upfront money (deposit/services) and refunded all of the monthly payments I had made. So, other than insurance and petrol, the car cost me nothing for 5 months.

The dealer basically just bought the car back from me using the settlement figure they obtained from VWFS. My agreement is yet to close but is due to within a few days, at which point when the car no longer has finance on it I have ZERO doubt the dealership will put it up for sale 

At the time of rejecting the car I also notified VWFS, but they did absolutely nothing for me. I would email them so they are aware, but do not expect them to jump in and help.

Your contract is with the dealership, so reject the car to them. I STRONGLY advise, from my experience, to do so in writing and insist on ALL correspondence from them to be in writing. You will need this as evidence if you end up going to the Ombudsman. Be firm but polite though. My dealer was totally ineffectual and did nothing to keep me updated, but yours may be nicer and better. So be polite at the start!

Don't bother wasting your time, like many of us did, with Skoda UK/Kate Laws etc. They are not interested, you have no contract with them, they will feed you BS and false promises.

It's up to you if you go ahead with it, but I can advise you to do nothing else other than reject it immediately.

We aren't Skoda's guinea pigs at our expense. You're paying a big chunk per month for an amazing experience, not what you are experiencing.

Honestly please believe me when I say that a huge amount of stress lifted from my shoulders by binning that horror of a car.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 2

I would have said reject the car as well.

The stress and anxiety of it isn't any good for you or your family, it also doesn't do your health any good whatsoever and so the easiest option would be to remove the thing that's causing the stress & anxiety, namely the car.

OK you'll take a financial hit, but you can't take your money with you, so take the hit and get out of the deal.

I'm already thinking about my next car and at the current moment in time it's most definitely NOT a Skoda Octavia Mk4!

Which is a crying shame because I like Skoda, I've liked all my Octavia's as they've been so good and reliable (current one excepted) as they go. Next will be either a BMW or Jaguar at the moment.

So here is the update , the dealer has said the Octy's are a real headache for them at the mo ( honest at least). Their main tech guy has some ideas and wants to to talk to "technical" ( who are they) He wants all the photos of probs, which i have sent. The dealer apologised profusely on the call and damm its not their fault. So car going in on the 31st for a week . I doubt they will find or even replicate the errors as they are so random. If they cant its bye bye VRS. i DONT WANT THAT !! the VRS is the only car in this segment that i would want. What else is out there , not a Golf GTI, or Seat Cupra , dont want a SUV. Looked at the Beemur 3 M series but had a beemur in 12 plate and didnt like the driving position or poor boot space. I certainly dont want an Audi , streets are littered up here in Glasgow with them. I loved the exclusivity of the VRS. This is a VW group scandal , potentially caused by Covid ,,, got to get these cars out there. No one verified the software or gave it real life testing. 

Sorry mate but my dealership said all the same sweet talk to me, that they were in touch with Skoda UK.

It is meaningless, there is no fix, otherwise this forum would not be littered with people discussing the same thing.

The best thing you can do is change your mind and reject now, or wait until they have the car and then reject it (makes it harder for them to decline when the car is sat there).

It won't go away though. If Skoda couldn't fix my car or the cars of the others here who have rejected or still have the same faults and are putting a brave face on, why would they be able to fix yours?

It is an absolute scandal, but your dealership is doing the same as all the rest, which is simply going through the motions. They will know it is unfixable already. They won't even do anything to it. The dealer had mine for weeks and on the Skoda app it showed the engine as having been started twice in 3.5 weeks. Your car will just sit there while they await this silver bullet software update that never comes.

Not only is all of that a scandal, but it is a scandal they are still selling these cars new from stock, and it is known that rejected cars have been going back on sale.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I've joined the growing list of owners rejecting vehicles plagued with the technological problems. (It would be interesting to know how many have been rejected over recent months.......)

As was stated in the recent article in the Guardian:"If the manufacturer was aware of these faults, it is wholly unacceptable that it has continued to take cash from consumers without fixing the issue."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/may/01/vw-audi-and-skoda-owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system

The car has so much potential and is class-leading in so many respects. However, I'm afraid I chose not to live with the unreliability of the technology.

A poor experience for me as a customer and a poor episode in the manufacturer's history.

I hope that others have a far better experience of this new Octavia than I did. If so, enjoy it - after spending your hard earned money, you deserve to!

• Like 3