Condensation in Zenons

After rain there is a small amount of condensation at the bottom on the headlamps which after time disappears.

My dealer says that this is normal but if it becomes excessive then it is not.

Is what my dealer saying correct or is the dealer just trying to avoid a warranty claim?

If Ok at what point does the condensation become abnormal?

I did notice a bit in mine at the start but havn't really noticed it since. I could be wrong but I would have thought there shouldn't be any, its a sealed unit. I'd be interested to hear of any updates with it.

• 1 month later...

It may have something to do with the fact that Xenon lamps are gas filled (when lamps are on the gas burns giving the blueish tinge). Perhaps when the humidity outside the lamp gets to a certain level the gas in the lamp causes the condensation.

Am not certain but just a thought.

I wouldn't have thought there should be any liquid in there.

The gas in the light 'bulb' won't have any water in it, or shouldn't so you shouldn't get air in it.

I'm assuming you mean the housing, but even so I'd still be supprised. If you get an arc lamp from a cinema projector wet it will explode, so I would be double checking with another dealer on the sly if you can.

It should be a sealed unit like mentioned before. I dont have any condenstation in mine, but my car doesnt live outside during the night.

The zenons on my bmw sometimes had a little misting condensation when they had been on for a bit when it was cold outside.

Never had anything excessive though!

I would be tempted to ring Skoda Customer service and tell them you arent happy and you want it sorting - if they agree then you dealer should just do the job

I don't think there should be any moisture in the lamp unless a seal has been compromised. Do you have any chips/cracks on the plastic cover that could let rain in?

The xenon gas discharge effect won't cause any sort of condensation either.

Have you tried a search of the forum to see if this has come up before?

If the condensation is at the bottom of the light fitting it might also affect halogen lights too.

I don't leave the car outside - I garage it and its only 3 months old.

I did contact skoda uk as the dealer said it was normal I wasn't convinced. Their reply was:

With regards to condensation on xenon headlights, misted up headlights

> (without visible condensed water drops caused by moisture ingression)

> are natural and permissible from the viewpoint of the headlamp design.

>

> The vent holes in the headlight body provide natural ventilation during

> operation. However, the speed and the time of demisting depends on the

> current atmospheric pressure, the temperature and the relative humidity

> of the environment.

Having hasd a xenon Hid equipped car before, I would suggest that this is quite normal. This is mainly because the lamp source does not get nearly as hot as an incandecent lamp in a conventional headlight. Remember that an Hid lamp consumes less than 35 watts, and is much more efficient at turning the electrical input into light and not heat. Therefore there is less heat in the lamp unit to evaporate the condensation. You could just check that the rubber vent tubes at the back of the headlamp are not pinched though. This would not allow such efficient equalisation within the lamp unit with regaqrd to temperature and humidity etc.

Open your bonnet. In the corner of the headlight there may well be a rubber bent pipe, or at least a tube that sticks out.

Have a look up this tube with a torch, if its blanked its ok. If its open it should be sealed up. But your dealer will be able to tell you if its due the recall.