2018 superb sportline

On 24/05/2021 at 12:01, JR RS said:

Is that for the new facelift Superb?

Maybe it's a factory option now.

I retrofitted it to my MY17 Superb - works as shown in pic.

IMAG5563.thumb.jpg.ec8f5f478f712ee024f26de4c03b0930.jpg

58372575_tpms04.thumb.jpg.8effaecad9acb368307f2d37928a452d.jpg

Hey JR how and where did you get that done, and how much roughly? I'm quite anal when it comes to tyre pressures, I'm no touring car driver or anything but I just like to know ☺️

I expect JR RS did it themselves :)

As for cost, I grabbed an OEM kit (module, wiring, 4 sensors) from aliexpress for ~£120 but I also intend to fit, code and parameterise it myself. It's only four wires that need connecting.

Just waiting for a free, dry weekend to do it. Although the tyre sensors might end up waiting until I need new tyres fitting...

11 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

I think it's rather a lot more notes to get a 5 series with the same features as a Superb. 

Nearly everything you take for granted is an option on the BMW. Lumbar support, adaptive cruise, electric folding side mirrors, and even the bloody ski hatch!

A few months ago I was toying with the idea of trading in my Superb (SE Tech Manual) for a Sportline/Sportline Plus 2.0 with DSG but realised that for not much more I could get a bmw5 but haven't got as far as comparing equipment, although I must admit I was surprised when I watched a review on youtube and heard that folding rear seats and ski hatch was an option.

20 minutes ago, Wazza99 said:

Hey JR how and where did you get that done, and how much roughly? I'm quite anal when it comes to tyre pressures, I'm no touring car driver or anything but I just like to know ☺️

I’ll be offering this soon, you would have to have to have the sensors fitted yourself or I would arrange a tyre place local to me to have them fitted as part of the install.

• Love it! 1

14 hours ago, Wazza99 said:

got my TPMS kit (1x module, 4x sensors, 1x wiring) from AliExpress.  cost me approx. $190 AUD for it.

got a tyre place to put the sensors in each tyre for approx. $20 each.

as @langers2k mentioned, i did the install myself.  u can read about it here.

its not an "easy task", but its doable.

i did this as a COVID-19 project retrofit. :biggrin:

@JR RS whilst this may not be the correct section to ask this in (sorry if it isnt).

The TPMS system on the Karoq, can this be done to my Sportline or is the system already there and I just need some codes to display the actual pressure (psi) instead of the current system ?

15 minutes ago, whitevx said:

The TPMS system on the Karoq, can this be done to my Sportline or is the system already there and I just need some codes to display the actual pressure (psi) instead of the current system ?

If your Karoq has no TPMS system, you can probably enable the indirect system by coding as it's part of the ABS module.

If you have indirect TPMS and want the pressures to be shown, you'll need to add tyre pressure sensors and the TPMS module. It's not something the factory would fit but leave disabled :)

Not sure if SFD comes into play on a MY21 Karoq as that's going to spoil everyones fun. Some modules may need a code from VAG before they'll accept changes which is going to suck for coding/retrofit.

34 minutes ago, langers2k said:

If your Karoq has no TPMS system, you can probably enable the indirect system by coding as it's part of the ABS module.

If you have indirect TPMS and want the pressures to be shown, you'll need to add tyre pressure sensors and the TPMS module. It's not something the factory would fit but leave disabled :)

Not sure if SFD comes into play on a MY21 Karoq as that's going to spoil everyones fun. Some modules may need a code from VAG before they'll accept changes which is going to suck for coding/retrofit.

Thank you,  my vehicle already has the indirect TPMS

I hope my vehicle isn't affected by SFD but knowing my luck I'll be locked out of doing what I want *shakes closed fist at VAG  for killing everyone's fun*

14 hours ago, whitevx said:

Thank you,  my vehicle already has the indirect TPMS

I hope my vehicle isn't affected by SFD but knowing my luck I'll be locked out of doing what I want *shakes closed fist at VAG  for killing everyone's fun*

As @langers2k mentioned, the TPMS hardware won't b fitted from factory.

Plus ur wheels won't have the TPMS sensors.

I'd assume it can b retrofitted to ur Karoq as it's not a module that requires component protection.

The same TPMS module has been used in the Kodiaq.

The same TPMS module is also used in a handful of VW models.

I'm just not sure how different the coding and adaptations will b with the MIB3.

• Like 1

Given the choice of TPMS I would go for the indirect one.

When I changed back to summer tyres and mixed and matched the wheels, i.e. former front and rear on one axle with different pressures, no punctures. The system warned straight away and was right.

My wife's car has wheel sensors for the TPMS and winter wheels were another £120 extra about 6 years ago - those were the cheap aftermarket sensors. Just because I want a fancy display of four numbers?

Also no hassle if ever the spare goes on as that one does not have a sensor fitted in most cars with direct TPMS. The car will pick up one corner without pressure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

Given the choice of TPMS I would go for the indirect one.

When I changed back to summer tyres and mixed and matched the wheels, i.e. former front and rear on one axle with different pressures, no punctures. The system warned straight away and was right.

My wife's car has wheel sensors for the TPMS and winter wheels were another £120 extra about 6 years ago - those were the cheap aftermarket sensors. Just because I want a fancy display of four numbers?

Also no hassle if ever the spare goes on as that one does not have a sensor fitted in most cars with direct TPMS. The car will pick up one corner without pressure.

My Karoq has the indirect sensors already, just don't have the "live" version. With the limited reading I've done thus far I may just settle with what I've already got. 

It would be nice if Skoda offered the option to "up spec" however given everything is worked out to the cent, I sadly don't see that as a viable option sadly.

3 hours ago, defiant said:

@JR RS - ah, I meant OCD triggered

I'd have to go to the petrol station and pump the tyre up 1 psi to make them all even :D

Hahahaha.....I'm not OCD like that.

.....but recently I've noticed the tyre pressure in my left front consistently gets higher (2 psi more) quicker than the other 3 after I hit a nasty pothole a few weeks ago.  

They also start at the same pressure - 36 psi all round.

I think think I need an alignment done.

I wouldn't have picked this up if it weren't for the direct TPMS.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 19:32, Gizmo said:

I had 3 punctures on my L&K and it warned me of all 3.

Yes it's a pretty crude system... but it works.

BMW used the same system until 2016 so not that crude. Guess they went to TPMS valves  to follow other manufacturers as a selling point.