Reversing camera retro fit?

I have a new vRS but didn't buy any options as I wanted it quickly (got it within a couple of weeks) but wish I had a reversing camera. Does anyone know of any companies that can retrospectively install a reversing camera that can do a good job?

Hello Jezzer123,

I also purchased a new Vrs without options. I have had a reversing camera fitted by a company called E.S.P Cars. 0115 9464500 contact name is Richard. I think they have mobile units that cover most of the Country. I did have to wait a month or so due to them getting the software from Poland in order for the camera to work as factory fitted. But since fitting my car they are up and running in fitting cameras. They also fitted a dash cam that I thought was reasonably priced. 

Hope this is useful.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phh683 said:

Hello Jezzer123,

I also purchased a new Vrs without options. I have had a reversing camera fitted by a company called E.S.P Cars. 0115 9464500 contact name is Richard. I think they have mobile units that cover most of the Country. I did have to wait a month or so due to them getting the software from Poland in order for the camera to work as factory fitted. But since fitting my car they are up and running in fitting cameras. They also fitted a dash cam that I thought was reasonably priced. 

Hope this is useful.

How is your sight at night when in rear drive? Not overlighted by the led license plate lights?

VAGTEC can fit them too, they do them for main dealers and will travel to you I believe. I don't know the price tbh but call I'm sure he'll quote.

• Thanks 1

I’ve just had a quote from my dealer, using a third party of £660 fitted including VAT.  I’ve asked for details of the model that is to be fitted.  I’ll share once I have these.  This is for the VRS model.  

• Thanks 1

I haven't got a MK4 so I've not spent much time on this but given some of those costs I had to take a quick look...

There is this kit which is customised by PR code/headunit. Certainly better at ~£350 but I'm not sure what unlocking SFD requires or which tools are needed:

https://www.carsystems.eu/skoda-octavia-nx-4-gen-rear-high-line-camera-kit-retrofit,id4274.html

Otherwise, there are a couple of options on Aliexpress.

The first is advertised for a MK4 but no mention of PR code or coding help, it's not a seller I've used:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002357151512.html

The second seems to be identical although advertised only for an A3. This is a seller I have used and found helpful in the past:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002348625696.html

If I were doing this, I'd probably contact Audi Auto to see if the A3 camera can be used/parametrised for a MK4 Octavia and if they know about the coding/SFD unlocking. They certainly seem to do the loom for an Octavia: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002504963576.html

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

So now that the Rear View Camera is removed as an option from every Trim other than the VRS, does anyone know if the Retrofit camera, hoping for an OEM one, will work with Virtual Pedal? Also looking for companies that do a good job in the south in or around London. 

Try East Yorkshire retro fit solutions, I've red nothing but REALLY good things. Mine is booked in next month for the reversing camera. I believe just about all their work is exactly as it would have been if installed at the factory.

• Like 1
  • Kiss 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can you tell us how complicated it was in terms of wiring?
I'm curios what was the factory setup - if there were any existing wires from the dashboard to the back of the car. Or did the retrofit procedure involved new wires from the back to the front of the car?
I've seen a tutorial online for VAG rear-view camera retrofit (not an Octavia MK4) and there were 3 main wires to connect:

- power supply connected to a fuse-box into the left-side-wall of the trunk;

- CAN BUS connection under the back seats;

- signal cable from the camera all the way to the MMI controller.

All those cables were part of the camera kit and had to be installed during the retrofit.

1 hour ago, SkOmk4 said:

I'm curios what was the factory setup - if there were any existing wires from the dashboard to the back of the car. Or did the retrofit procedure involved new wires from the back to the front of the car?

I'd be very surprised if the wires were already fitted.

Much like the tutorial you've seen, I'd expect you'd need to add the required wiring. The wiring you've described if for a highline kit with moving guidelines which would need wiring similar to this: https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/cameras-parts/wiring-camera-cable-for-the-skoda/

1 hour ago, SkOmk4 said:

Can you tell us how complicated it was in terms of wiring?
I've seen a tutorial online for VAG rear-view camera retrofit (not an Octavia MK4) and there were 3 main wires to connect:

- power supply connected to a fuse-box into the left-side-wall of the trunk;

- CAN BUS connection under the back seats;

- signal cable from the camera all the way to the MMI controller.

All those cables were part of the camera kit and had to be installed during the retrofit.

Mine was done by East Yorkshire retrofit solutions, I was around to see some of it and it was quite a bit of work, I believe all the cables you mentioned had to be installed. I love doing this kind of stuff myself but on this occasion I'm glad I didn't attempt it, It had to be coded too so I wouldn't have been able to do that anyway.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

The wiring you've described if for a highline kit with moving guidelines

Yep, most of the kits I found online have those cables included.

The two pictures below are from an online offer of OEM kit which is about 400 Euro here in RO - without installation costs.

However, the Chinese alternatives are a lot cheaper, also with cables included, e.g. this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003500261883.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.52a12e0eFv2g5I

I doubt the picture quality will be a lot poorer that the OEM one, since plenty of people were complaining about the original camera...

octavia4_camera.webp

octavia4_camera_back.webp

35 minutes ago, SkOmk4 said:

Yep, most of the kits I found online have those cables included.

The two pictures below are from an online offer of OEM kit which is about 400 Euro here in RO - without installation costs.

However, the Chinese alternatives are a lot cheaper, also with cables included, e.g. this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003500261883.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.52a12e0eFv2g5I

I doubt the picture quality will be a lot poorer that the OEM one, since plenty of people were complaining about the original camera...

There are plenty of OE/OEM stuff on aliexpress so there is a good chance it's "genuine" although possibly grey market. I've had a few modules from various aliexpress sellers, including the RVC on my MK3 Octavia, without any issues :)

Just remember that on a MK4, you'll need a SFD unlock code before you can code the camera in...

Sure, thanks for the heads up!
I'm already decided to go for an OBDeleven Pro, but I'll have to find a proper step-by-step tutorial to correctly code the camera. There's no rush, since my car has no production week specified yet...

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what the current situation is re: retrofitting a rear camera on the Octavia 4 (1.5 SEL DSG w/electric boot in my case)? We are trying to decide between the Superb or the (newer tech-wise) Octavia. We love the camera in our Superb and would be loathe to lose this feature on a new car. I know you cannot buy from new (except vRS) and, so far anyway, the Skoda dealer claims you cannot buy as a part and fit it when the car arrives.

I can see 3rd party companies who claim to fit them (inc. the washer jet) but the Dealer I spoke to said that when the car's software is updated the camera would stop working. Not sure what to believe.

I have a camera on my 21 Octavia VRS that was retrofitted because the dealer messed up my factory order. Cutting a long story short the camera was fine until my local dealership updated the camera s/w and subsequently I lost the contrast settings although the camera still works. Although I'm sure the company that fitted the camera could re-instate the contrast settings I'm taking a different route with the dealership due to all the other s/w issues so decided not to persue that. Vagtec fitted he camera so might be worth calling them to see if they have a permanent fix.

12 hours ago, nr26410 said:

I have a camera on my 21 Octavia VRS that was retrofitted because the dealer messed up my factory order. Cutting a long story short the camera was fine until my local dealership updated the camera s/w and subsequently I lost the contrast settings although the camera still works. Although I'm sure the company that fitted the camera could re-instate the contrast settings I'm taking a different route with the dealership due to all the other s/w issues so decided not to persue that. Vagtec fitted he camera so might be worth calling them to see if they have a permanent fix.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems a real mess at the moment re: options. I am guessing that the other VAG brands probably have priority on parts that are in scarce supply which makes Skoda the bottom of the list.  I was told by Skoda direct (and the local Dealer) that you definitely cannot order the camera as a part and fit on arrival. Also, your mention of s/w issues echoes a lot of other posts regards the Octavia 4. I suspect I am better off getting another Superb!

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to add an update to this.

In my case, I'm not saying it will happen to anybody else, since the last dealer visit for numerous s/w issues and a subsequent s/w update - I've lost the use of the retrofitted camera completely!!

I believe, although it is practically impossible to get the full story, all s/w on the car was removed/reloaded hence why I lost the retrofit coding as its gone to factory default. It's a real pain b/c the servicing dealer won't acknowledge an issue and the installer appears to be having issues unlocking for recoding. I'm being compensated by the supplying dealer but a pain none the less after getting used to having it.

• Sponsor
4 hours ago, nr26410 said:

I just wanted to add an update to this.

In my case, I'm not saying it will happen to anybody else, since the last dealer visit for numerous s/w issues and a subsequent s/w update - I've lost the use of the retrofitted camera completely!!

I believe, although it is practically impossible to get the full story, all s/w on the car was removed/reloaded hence why I lost the retrofit coding as its gone to factory default. It's a real pain b/c the servicing dealer won't acknowledge an issue and the installer appears to be having issues unlocking for recoding. I'm being compensated by the supplying dealer but a pain none the less after getting used to having it.

I'm confused as to how your installer is struggling to re-enable it. It's extremely straight forward regardless of software version

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits