DSG question

I've been driving my DSG Scout for jut over a year now. When cold, the gear change from 1st to 2nd is not as quick as between other gears. I am not talking about how long it is in 1st before it shifts to 2nd but rather about the "lag" between  disengagement from 1st to a full engagement to 2nd. The best way to describe it is to use analogy to using a manual box (slowly). You are in 1st, you press the clutch pedal, then you shift to 2nd and release the clutch. My DSG does exactly that (low RPM's). There is a clear lack of power in that time space when the shift occurs (as if I pressed the clutch pedal). It is not noticeable with other gears. After 10 -15 minutes it is not as noticeable as when the car is cold. Is this normal?

Only normal if the DSG is not performing correctly.

Maybe a Reset will help it. Best have a diagnosis run on it.

?

How many miles / km has the car done?

The Oil Change / service is due at 40,000 miles / 64,000 ish km.

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 11.51.14.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

47,000KM on the clock, DSG service done in Dec 2020 at 5 years. On review of what I posted, it would be better if I said slow shifting between 1st and 2nd rather than loss of power... It is difficult to describe but it is clearly not as quick as between other gears. It is not noticeable if I have the accelerator pressed to the floor when taking off. I am talking about really gentle take off, low RPM's. 

Was the car behaving the same before the DSG oil change?

If all is well with the engine and the servicing of that then maybe best have the DSG checked out, correct quantity of the correct oil in type of thing.

OT, but

What about the Haldex, has it been serviced @ 3 years, and how about since, or will it be getting done soon?

Yes, it was the same before the DSG service was done. Haldex done at 4yrs, Dec 2019, they refused to clean the mesh on the pump and only changed the fluid. I wonder if DSG service was done at all. I saw no difference at all in DSG behavior, people report better, smoother performance after DSG service. They may have skipped it (and charged me for it) because the car had only 43,000km on the clock not 60,000km.  All servicing was done by Skoda dealership. How can you know what they did or did not? They definitely changed the engine oil because they overfilled it and I had to extract some oil myself. At $840 it was not cheap I can tell you. They said my rear tyres may need to be changed soon and quoted me $740 for a pair. $740!!!! No thanks I said. I can buy 4 good tyres for $600.

• Like 1

I agree with George, diagnostics might reveal something you need to know about.  If you're unsure that it's behaving as it should, have it checked out.  A stitch in time.....

Gaz

• Like 1

Thank you all. The conclusion is, I gather, there is something wrong with the box. None of you have seen anything like I did with your cars and the shifting should be uniform across all 6 gears, cold or at the working temp. This is my first DSG and I am in the dark here.

• Like 1

It should be smooth, the 6 speeds are good DSG's as are 7 speed wet clutch.

(Some say 7 speed dry,

so DQ200's are snatchy etc, but that might be some, they need not be like that, some say common, but then those boxes are not working as designed to.)

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

so DQ200's are snatchy

As I'm reading it, @CajoLajo is saying that the 1-2 change is slower than the others, rather than "jerky". Now I thought that the 1-2 change should be slower than the higher ones, for maximum change smoothness across the box as a whole.

My DQ250 can be a bit jerky going from 1st to 2nd when cold. But that is simply because the oil is cold and the oil viscosity is thicker. Once warm it is nice and smooth.

Yerr - the OP has a 2015 Scout with a DQ250 4 wheel drive variant gearbox.  They all do that; from cold even my DQ381 does that.  Its to make overcome the issue with a cold engine and cold gearbox oil - could make the car stall, so second gear tends to be held up to 2500 rpm.  Even going from 1st into 2nd on a manual gearbox, the oil is cold and the gearbox is a bit bulky, so none of this is a problem.

Normal operation.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

They all do that;

That's a familiar phrase - do you work for Skoda by any chance Max?

Neither of my DQ250 cars do it - at least that I'm aware of.

I do find myself wondering how many DSG gearbox'd cars stall because of cold transmission fluid.  CajoLajo appears to come from a land down under, so I suspect less of an issue over there.

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Normal operation.

And if it isn't, and CajoLajo's DSG isn't behaving normally?  Surely better to have it checked if they sense something may be awry, and get a thumbs up that all is well, rather than experience the expense of a potentially costly fault which could have been remedied early?  I know which I'd rather pay for.

Gaz

• Like 1

I am interested just how cold cold has to be for those with this happening in Australia, the Scottish Borders or Northern England, or anyplace.

I just get in cars with a DSG after defrosting them and select 'D' and go.  That can be at temps below -10*oC, wet or dry clutch ones.

The engines need to get the Coolant and Oil up to efficient temp but otherwise the car / van is up to 30-60mph without 'Hesitation, repetition or deviation'.  Doh, wrong game show!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's a familiar phrase - do you work for Skoda by any chance Max?

Absolutely not....

23 hours ago, CajoLajo said:

I wonder if DSG service was done at all.

Well, that's telling....dealers have a habit of skipping doing proper servicing on the DSG and HALDEX systems because that costs money [when selling the car] and eats into their profits.

If you think that the DSG and Haldex haven't been done properly, get them done again.  The telling point is: if the servicing of the DSG or HALDEX hasn't been done and it isn't in the VW service history, then it hasn't been done.

Thank you guys, Clearly, DSG service is required. Whether there is something wrong or not who knows? You have to rely on my best description. I have never owned a DSG car before this one, nor driven one. Perhaps my lack of DSG knowledge is contributing to my interpretation of the experience. My old Falcon was shifting seamlessly. Perhaps it is all good with this car. This DSG shifts, there is no evidence of any clunks, vibration etc. It is just that compared to other gear changes, there appear to be some slowness from 1st to 2nd when driven gently. With higher RPM's it is not as obvious.  The lesson I am getting here is that DSG should be silky smooth. Mine is not, it is very hard to come to stop without feeling a bit of vibration when the clutch disengages. This was never the case with the traditional auto box. On the motorway DSG is great and you cannot really notice the gear changes.