1.0 tsi 110hp - any high mileages already?

Wiegott

Hey everyone,

I would like to know more about that little 3 cylinder engine if there is any problems at all because I read about oil consumption.

Is there anyone who have experience with those 3 cylinder engines if they last long? Is there someone who had car with that 3 cylinder engine for long enough so can give opinion on it?

Thank you!

@Wiegott  Welcome to the forum.

I am very surprised that you have read anyplace about high oil consumption with  Euro 6 VW Group 1.0 TSI engines or 1.0MPI if it was those.

?

Where were you reading about high oil consuption?

There are Citigo (Euro 5 & 6 MPI's), Fabia, Rapid, Octavia, Karoq, Kamiq & Scala sections here in Briskoda with members posting about their 1.0 cylinder cars and nobody i have read has complained about oil consumption.

Maybe i missed the odd one that might have.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hey, thank you for your reply.

I am not sure for witch one I red (MPI or TSI)

I am just wondering if those small but pumped engines can last long enough to hit 100k miles for example.

Want to know if someone had experiences with them and hit some big mileages like 40-50k+ miles.

Are those TSI are some new generation that was upgraded to be more reliable?

Thank you for any kind of information that would be shared here! 

?

What car are you thinking about with a 1.0TSI?

There are early ones without a GPF & then later with.  Gasoline Particulate Filters.

5 years back nearly.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/415528-octavia-10-se-estate

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/402506-10-tsi/page/3

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/477734-10-tsi-115-engine-has-anyone-seen-big-miles-out-of-one-yet

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

Supposedly better for the environment but only time will tell because as always it is just another thing that might cause issues in cars.

They can require a regen to clean them, but in a different way from a DPF.

Since we are only getting to 3 years since VW Group have been fitting them we will see how long before any need replacing and just what VW Group Main Dealers will be charging to replace them if that is something needed eventually.

Doing high mileage and longer trips might be all good with them, maybe short cold start trips will be the issue and the sort of usage cars have been getting from those that have been in lockdown.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

I ran a VW UP 1.0 Tsi 90 to over 40k miles mapped to 143 bhp and I think I used 1/2 litre of oil in 4 years of hard use. No problems at all, cracking little engine.

• Thanks 2

I have a Seat Arona with 1.0tsi 115, done 26k miles in nearly 3 years, never needed a drop of oil.  As far as I know has a GPF as they were fitted to this model from launch end 2017

Very good engine, and brilliant with DSG, and for first 2 years was used for commute in SW London so had plenty of short journeys from cold.  

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Thank you very much for all informations. We have placed our order so we waiting our amazing scala. 

On 05/06/2021 at 14:52, Shifty said:

I ran a VW UP 1.0 Tsi 90 to over 40k miles mapped to 143 bhp and I think I used 1/2 litre of oil in 4 years of hard use. No problems at all, cracking little engine.

So you want to say that little engine (for some ppl mixer) can be mapped for more hp? I don’t know what exactly is bhp but our engine is 110hp. It will be amazing if we can tune it up after the warranty without that being a problem for that engine.

Once again thank you for ghe information you shared with me.

You will find that the 1.0tsi is really improved if you use super unleaded.  It pulls much better at lower revs.  Surprisingly I have found 99ron seems to improve mileage by about 11-13% in mixed driving which offsets its extra cost

• Like 1

In my experience it's as unreliable as the earlier 1.2 TSI.

Only with my 1.0/110 it took just 15000 miles for the Actuator + Turbo failure and replacement... The 1.2/105 at least lasted me 26000 before the same issue.

The 1.0 also lacks much usable torque, but you could mask that with a 7 speed DSG.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 01/06/2021 at 22:30, Wiegott said:

Is that a good think to have it?

That's a very good question. I was surprised to find out my car had one, as the DPF put me off diesel when replacing my car, then I found out the petrol car had a GPF. :thinking:

I've only done short journeys in the year I've had it (I've only done about 1K miles in the last year) but I do make sure I drive the car far enough so it gets up to a reasonable running temp, getting the oil up to over 60 deg C. (Water temp gets up very quickly, but I ignore that.)

I only potter about in it locally, and I've been using very light throttle to maximise my MPG. I don't know what the correct driving style is to clear a GPF, but I'm sure more info will emerge as more and more cars are on the roads with a GPF.

I'm due to go on holiday before too long, so it will have a good 600-700 mile run over a week, so that ought to do it good. (Or reveal any issues.)

On 05/06/2021 at 13:52, Shifty said:

This is good to know! We are awaiting delivery of our 2021 Kamiq 1.0 TSI 95, how did you find your 90 TSI mapped at 143bhp?

Did you go easy with the 5 speed box or did you drive it as normal? I would like to get ours mapped once it's a little older but I wouldn't want the gearbox to poo itself

On 15/06/2021 at 19:29, camelspyyder said:

In my experience it's as unreliable as the earlier 1.2 TSI.

Only with my 1.0/110 it took just 15000 miles for the Actuator + Turbo failure and replacement... The 1.2/105 at least lasted me 26000 before the same issue.

The 1.0 also lacks much usable torque, but you could mask that with a 7 speed DSG.

I'm sorry to say but you're doing something wrong, we have owned our 2016 16v 1.2 TSI from new, it's covered 40,000 miles and we have had no issues with our Turbo.

If you are killing turbos it's either bad luck or the way you drive.

6 hours ago, AJ89 said:

I'm sorry to say but you're doing something wrong, we have owned our 2016 16v 1.2 TSI from new, it's covered 40,000 miles and we have had no issues with our Turbo.

If you are killing turbos it's either bad luck or the way you drive.

Thanks AJ. You can call it bad luck, but it's bad design more like.

A trawl around the various VAG forums will show you that Turbo Actuator failure is a regular occurrence on the 1.2 TSI in SEAT, VW, SKoda, etc - but I was more surprised when the much more modern 1.0 did it too.

I've never heard anything bad about the short-lived engine variant you have, indeed I'd much rather have that than the 1.0, but the previous (pre 2015) 1.2 was somewhat notorious.

This retired gent has had 2 fail on brand new cars inside the guarantee period and is unimpressed.

Hard to say this, given that I aspired to own new VW group cars for a long time, but they less reliable than anything I've had in the previous 40 years.

OK... except the MG Metro. That did its turbo at about 22k, but in my defence I was 21 at the time and thrashed it :biggrin:

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, camelspyyder said:

Thanks AJ. You can call it bad luck, but it's bad design more like.

A trawl around the various VAG forums will show you that Turbo Actuator failure is a regular occurrence on the 1.2 TSI in SEAT, VW, SKoda, etc - but I was more surprised when the much more modern 1.0 did it too.

I've never heard anything bad about the short-lived engine variant you have, but the previous (pre 2015) 1.2 was somewhat notorious.

This retired gent has had 2 fail on brand new cars inside the guarantee period and is unimpressed.

Hard to say this, given that I aspired to own new VW group cars for a long time, but they less reliable than anything I've had in the previous 40 years.

OK... except the MG Metro. That did its turbo at about 22k, but in my defence I was 21 at the time and thrashed it :biggrin:

Sorry Camel, I didn't mean to come accross too harsh haha!

I know the earlier 1.2 TSI was an 8v and chain driven? I don't know too much else about them. We've had no issues with our 2016 1.2 TSI apart from it's always ran a little rough when you cold start it in the summer i.e when the weather is hot. I'm guessing you're from Spain I wonder if you've ever heard of this before.

Our 1.0 TSI has a slightly revised engine design where the airbox is mounted at the side of the engine instead of on top, time will tell how reliable it proves to be. 

My CBZA 1.2 tsi (2011) required turbo replaced and wastegate replaced at 76000 in Dec 2018. It also had a remapnot long after I got it in 2016 , and is driven with vigor.

Edited by Kenrw8

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 10:33, AJ89 said:

This is good to know! We are awaiting delivery of our 2021 Kamiq 1.0 TSI 95, how did you find your 90 TSI mapped at 143bhp?

Did you go easy with the 5 speed box or did you drive it as normal? I would like to get ours mapped once it's a little older but I wouldn't want the gearbox to poo itself

A lot of fun! Much more low down pull, it is a much lighter car though possibly just sub 1000kg. The 5 speed box.....Neither easy or normal, I would say hard. No issues with the box or clutch. The brakes weren't really up to prolonged hard use but I suspect they are smaller than yours. I've replaced the Tsi with a Gti now (same engine but 6 speed) and this is running 147 bhp. I have no concerns at all over reliability. Complaints of failed actuators are generally down to lack of use, slow driving etc.

On 18/06/2021 at 17:01, camelspyyder said:

except the MG Metro

Takes me back. A teacher at my upper school had a black one of those. We all thought it was so cool.

• Haha 1