Auto braking

Guyboy

Hi all

Just a quick missive re the auto emergency braking function. Driving into work yesterday when a discarded crisp packet blew across the path of the vehicle. Th brakes slammed on for a brief instant in a full blown emergency stop. Fortunately there wasn't a vehicle behind me as I probably would have been tail ended. I have altered the parameters for the system in the cars menu and will see if it happens again. Seems way too sensitive if a piece of small wind blown litter sets it off and a bit dangerous for a 'safety' system.

Other than that overall the Kamiq's a pretty good car.

Seconded. I've always said we should use the developers and the commissioning managers as crash test dummies for these systems. After all, if they do their jobs right, they won't get hurt.

Edited by KenONeill

8 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

The car didn’t know it was a crisp packet it could have been a small child 

With luck the car behind will also have a similarly effective system.

it worries me to hear those issues with front assist constantly panicking, because my mother ordered kamiq just recently and this could really make dangerous situations. Wierd thing is that in my superb, front assist usually works well, its not over sensitive and it already saved me two times from minor collisions. I thought this only improves in recent cars...

8 hours ago, LukasK said:

it worries me to hear those issues with front assist constantly panicking, because my mother ordered kamiq just recently and this could really make dangerous situations. Wierd thing is that in my superb, front assist usually works well, its not over sensitive and it already saved me two times from minor collisions. I thought this only improves in recent cars...

You can change the sensitivity in settings 

Thanks, it looks like Kamiq issues are not directly related to sensitivity settings. Superb and Kamiq have settings on default medium and behaviour is different.

Are your crisp packets made of foil?  Same thing happened to me taking off from lights in a VW with a chocolate bar wrapper which was made out of foil. Other things I have never had an issue so thinking the radar/AEB etc. looks for metal.

So really suggesting the material is more to blame vs the actual object shape and car systems being wrong, as I can run over rabbits, possums and hit birds no problem......

Edited by snala

On 12/06/2021 at 23:52, LukasK said:

Going on my experiences with the collision avoidance system, full-blown, ABS emergency stop false alarms will be rare. I've only had two or three in 6 years. More common is the advance warning as you overtake a vehicle turning-off to the left - but not really an issue, serves as a check that the system is working. 

6 hours ago, snala said:

Are your crisp packets made of foil?  Same thing happened to me taking off from lights in a VW with a chocolate bar wrapper which was made out of foil. Other things I have never had an issue so thinking the radar/AEB etc. looks for metal.

So really suggesting the material is more to blame vs the actual object shape and car systems being wrong, as I can run over rabbits, possums and hit birds no problem......

Yum, roadkill stew. I got a pheasant once - but that was a very long time before collision avoidance was even a dream!

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Happened again on Sunday. This time it was a Deliveroo Guy on a mountain bike at the junction of a side road to my left front quarter. He was stationary just level with the give way lines so not actually in front of my vehicle. Then bang, full on emergency stop for a brief moment of time. Fortunately there was no one behind me! I had turned the sensitivity down after the previous episode with wind blown debris but the system is still overly twitchy (and dangerous) IMO. Going to have a word with my local dealer about it to see if it's a fault of some sort. 

What year is your Kamiq? Mine is June 2021 and I have my sensitivity set to Late and I've never felt mine kick in and I get nagged from the other half that I drive too close to other cars :notme:

• 1 month later...

We have 4 new shape Leons at work and the users say the front assist (no adaptive cruise) is a pain in the rear.  My 69 plate Octavia has Adaptive Cruise with front assist and I have never had it brake on me in over 20,000 miles.  Perhaps if you upgrade to Adaptive Cruise the sensors are upgraded and less set off by false alarms.  I am hoping to get a Kamiq with adaptive cruise next year so I will maybe find out then.

On 16/06/2021 at 10:47, Warrior193 said:

Yum, roadkill stew. I got a pheasant once - but that was a very long time before collision avoidance was even a dream!

Only one? I was travelling at night and my headlights picked out about eight mallard in a group on the tarmac,

I braked hard but they did not have a chance there were five donk, donk, donks and I picked up five dead ones

largely unmarked, the others managed to fly clear.

On 16/06/2021 at 04:17, snala said:

Remove the silver foil from your chocolate before driving and use it to make safety gilets for rabbits, possums and birds :D

On 12/09/2021 at 11:01, gumdrop said:

Only one? I was travelling at night and my headlights picked out about eight mallard in a group on the tarmac,

I braked hard but they did not have a chance there were five donk, donk, donks and I picked up five dead ones

largely unmarked, the others managed to fly clear.

I was in roadkill heaven last month, I visited the shrine at Pennant Melangell in North Wales - the road up to the church was literally crawling with hundreds of young pheasants (around the size of quail) - It was extremely difficult avoiding wholesale slaughter! 

22 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I was in roadkill heaven last month, I visited the shrine at Pennant Melangell in North Wales - the road up to the church was literally crawling with hundreds of young pheasants (around the size of quail) - It was extremely difficult avoiding wholesale slaughter! 

A blast on the horn usually helps them on their way clear.