Service changes needed at 80k miles

yeti99

Hello All

I thought I would update this thread instead of starting a new one.

My question concerns the annual service again.  What do I get done ?

Its a 2013 Skoda TDI 2L 2 wheel drive manual.

So in June 2021 I had the cam belt changed at 80k miles and the clutch and flywheel done.

The car now has 120K miles and is due its annual service in August.

It seems the EGR valve needs cleaning most years as my wife doesn't rev the car at all.  We have the system light coming on every so often at the moment, but it goes off after a longer drive.  So we know about this issue.  

We have never touch the DPF and cleaned it with chemicals etc.  Should we be looking at cleaning it this year ?  I have had my vans DPF  done this Jan for the first time so have a guy who can do it for me. It turned out I didn't have any of the special liquid in the tank which gets injected into the DPF.  

Does the yeti have the same tank which needs topping up ?

Any other bits which need looking at apart from the oil and filters ?

The car has been fine for years apart from a few bits going wrong.  Still very happy with it, but aware it is getting older and might need a bit more care.

Posted (edited)

Personally, I would start cheap and buy a bottle of Miller's One Shot DPF cleaner for £11 or £12. I would ignore comments saying that it's 'snake oil' because we ran our last 2.0TDI Yeti to 100,000 miles with zero DPF or EGR issues and we just put a bottle in the tank every 6 months, and drove it 30 minutes in Sport mode to ensure that the regeneration / cleaning took place.

We've just switched to the final model Yeti TDI which has an AdBlue tank, but you don't need to worry about that ! DPF/EGR cleaning can definitely work as the car gets older but I would try the above first unless you have issues/ symptoms.

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/diesel-particulate-filter-cleaner-and-regenerator

Edited by Prezafab

1 hour ago, Prezafab said:

Miller's One Shot DPF cleaner for £11 or £12. I would ignore comments saying that it's 'snake oil'

OK, where do you put the "One Shot" into the car?

11 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

OK, where do you put the "One Shot" into the car?

Really?

You just fill your tank with diesel, then put it in the fuel tank.

Or just fill up with Premium Diesel at a filling stations as extra detergent package is in that. 

@yeti99  A 2013 TDI does not have a tank for Adblue. 

Pollen filter. 

Air Filter.

Brake Fluid replaced.

Diesel filter.

What ever, when ever depending on when done or checked previously. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3 (1).jpg

Ok, so I think our air con is not doing so well as the screen mists up very easily.  

So it looks like the cam belt will need doing as last did it at 80k miles.  It's now got 120k miles and will prob have 125K when we service it in august..  So is a cam belt change needed every 50K miles or so ?

3 hours ago, Prezafab said:

Really?

You just fill your tank with diesel, then put it in the fuel tank.

Thank you. Now explain how the One Shot" makes it through the combustion chamber without being denatured or admit that it's snake oil.

Posted (edited)

Aargh! End of.

Experience is equal to or better than assumed knowledge. My claim is that I'm on my 106th car, about half have been used and 2/3rds have been diesel. All of the diesels I've owned in the last 15 years have had Millers added. EGR issues=0. DPF issues=0.

I would call it super-ace oil...

Edited by Prezafab

There will be all those that have also run diesels and only ever put in the tank what comes out the diesel pump at UK filling stations and had no EGR or DPF issues. 

But it is only money so people can do what they lie with it.

Fleet managers might even have had vehicles run using the magic additives and others not. 

3 hours ago, Prezafab said:

Experience is equal to or better than assumed knowledge.

And my knowledge and experience are that pretty much anything fired through an internal combustion engine gets burnt. You really think your "it just works" assertion trumps this? Don't bother to reply; I've just blocked you.

Ken Block strikes again 😄

@Prezafab have you really had 106 vehicles or was it a typo and supposed to be10?

I was going to post that I have done a higher mileage without ever using any additive and only supermarket diesel without any DPF or EGR problems but then realised that my EGR no longer passes any gases after I fitted an EGR Emulator, I fitted it because I expected trouble from the EGR so I did not post the response.

Has your vehicle had the emissions fix? Mine had before I owned it, those that remain with the standard "cheating" software don't clog up the EGR's, my ex UK neighbours car has over 100K miles on the original EGR and cheat software.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2024 at 23:54, yeti99 said:

Yes had it done early on.  I can’t change it now.  

You can, I did!

15 minutes of downloading the previous emissions cheat software revision, it may have been 15 seconds and 14 minutes in the workshop for all I know.

Cost short answer £250.

Long answer I had a Celtic Tuning remap done (highly recommended) had I been able to have it done in their Cornwall workshop and not by a dealer or their mobile technicians it would have been done free of charge with the remap but it was the beginning of the confinement, their mobile technicians were on whatever the British word is for being paid not to work (chômage technique) travel and time restrictions meant the only way I could get the remap done was by one of their dealer network in Surrey.

After Covid I went to my stepmothers funeral in Cornwall and was staying very close to Celtic Tuning HQ, I drove in on the offchance saying I had 30 minutes before the funeral service and could they possibly sort me out in that time, they did and I was happy to pay the bill given the circumstances, 2 years on and I consider it money well spent, I have heard probably 3 interrupted regens in that time, before that it was practically every journey.

• Like 1