LOL! firefox rules

Neo_VR

what a childish geeky advert for a lesser program.

firefox only gets less virus's etc because its a geeky "cool" anti microsoft product that will get inundated with attacks once it gains more popularity then will show its weakness's when the manufacturer can't keep up with security updates etc because they aren't big enough to give a high level of user back up.

in my opinion.

firefox only gets less virus's etc because its a geeky "cool" anti microsoft product that will get inundated with attacks once it gains more popularity then will show its weakness's when the manufacturer can't keep up with security updates etc because they aren't big enough to give a high level of user back up.

in my opinion.

Do you have shares in Microsoft or something? :rofl: Only kidding.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me Firefox is the browser of choice. Have you tried it lately? Just wondered.

in my opinion.

IE is crammed with legacy code and 'closed' holes often aren't. If you actually read the security bullitins and look at the same for 12 months previous there's almost always recurring hoes in IE. Yes it gets attacked more, but any product using 15 year old code (IE7 included in places) is always going to be easier to breach than one designed when the threats we're defending against existed.

JM2PW.

Also, large pieces of Mozilla code are open source, so bugs are spotted and rectified by the community at large before they are exploited.

FPMSL. Very good. I've had Firefox for the past 3 years or so and it's irreplacable IMO.

Hate IE as it's caused me so many problems int past and left me stranded on more than one occasion.

in my opinion.

There is a fair amount of truth in the argument that hackers will go for the mainstream product and I'd certainly expect this to be a problem with the vast number of different Linux installations that don't have a central update mechanism.

Firefox however starts from a much better point than IE , has a nicer user interface and is a single product that has been regularly updated in the past. I don't think you will see anywhere near the number of problems that IE has had.

There is a fair amount of truth in the argument that hackers will go for the mainstream product and I'd certainly expect this to be a problem with the vast number of different Linux installations that don't have a central update mechanism.

Firefox however starts from a much better point than IE ' date=' has a nicer user interface and is a single product that has been regularly updated in the past. I don't think you will see anywhere near the number of problems that IE has had.[/quote']

I agree with this.

Not only that though, but I have found firefox to be a lot quicker at responding to web page requests. It doesnt suffer from the "not going anywhere" bug that internet explorer regularly suffers from either.

They are doing a great job in keeping it updated. Not one page I visit doesnt work in it now.

Apparently the reason some pages didnt work at first is because internet explorer failed to use the browser standards and did some things in weird ways so people had to break their code to get it to work with ie. This meant that anyone developing a browser using the agreed original standards would find that certain sites wouldnt work correctly. (from what I have heard)

I have come to the conclusion that internet explorer is for those people who dont know any better. It lacks features provided by firefox. It's slower then firefox, and all IE7 has added are things that have been copied from the opposition.

Apparently the reason some pages didnt work at first is because internet explorer failed to use the browser standards and did some things in weird ways so people had to break their code to get it to work with ie. This meant that anyone developing a browser using the agreed original standards would find that certain sites wouldnt work correctly. (from what I have heard)

Absolutely correct, IE to date is not W3C compliant, FF is. However many lesser able web developers developed websites (using MS Frontpage normally) using IE specific code and as such these sites did not work with FF, Opera, Safari etc.

Edit: There is an FF plugin that launches an instance of IE in a tab of FF - very handy when you come across such a site :thumbup:

I use IE regularly, and FF too - both have their place.

I dislike tabbed browsing, making me an exception apparently. I much prefer to let windows deal with grouping stuff.

FF is ace on Linux though, much faster.

Opera is probably the best standards-compliant wise, and it is often a source of good ideas that find themselves into FF & IE over time.

Unlike in the days of Netscape vs IE, most browsers are now at least to a fairly large extent, standards compliant. Maybe not the latest standards, but at least it is getting there :)

I use IE regularly' date=' and FF too - both have their place.

I dislike tabbed browsing, making me an exception apparently. I much prefer to let windows deal with grouping stuff.

FF is ace on Linux though, much faster.

Opera is probably the best standards-compliant wise, and it is often a source of good ideas that find themselves into FF & IE over time

Unlike in the days of Netscape vs IE, most browsers are now at least to a fairly large extent, standards compliant. Maybe not the latest standards, but at least it is getting there :)[/quote']

don't worry you aren't alone - I loathe tabbed browsing as well. Personally I just prefer using IE (and my testing of IE7 so far has been positive)

The issue of standards is a hotly contested one - and its not quite as clear cut as you might think, yes IE is not fully standards compliant and that means that coding purely to the W3C standards will produce problems in IE. On the flip side however IE is the majority browser and therefore like it or not it is the defacto standard and you HAVE to code to work within it in the real world.

Life would have been alot easier if they had coded to the standards in the first place, but in the environment there was at the time I can see why IE was coded the way it was. And hey there is no point crying of spilt milk, you just have to deal with it.

When it comes to security FF has plenty of holes in it and currently its patch management solutions don't scale to a large corporate environment as effectively as the MS equivilant.

From a personal view its which browser you prefer to use, and I happen to prefer IE.

I have come to the conclusion that internet explorer is for those people who dont know any better. It lacks features provided by firefox. It's slower then firefox' date=' and all IE7 has added are things that have been copied from the opposition.[/quote']

or, maybe firefox is for those that need protecting from the big bad internet...and those who type M$:rofl: everybody copies features, it's not like those behind firefox invented tabbed browsing

or, maybe firefox is for those that need[/b'] protecting from the big bad internet...and those who type M$:rofl: everybody copies features, it's not like those behind firefox invented tabbed browsing

well this is the first time I have typed m$. does that count? I happen to like what microsoft do generally and dont consider them the source of all evil like many others do. I certainly dont need protecting from the internet. Then again if I did I doubt I would be ten years into an I.T. career right now.

What I do know is, firefox is quicker at displaying webpages and provides some pretty nifty extensions that you cant get in ie. This alone is why I use it. Everyone else for all I care can sit and wait for a page request to reach their desired browser. I will be happily surfing around while they wait.

well this is the first time I have typed m$. does that count? I happen to like what microsoft do generally and dont consider them the source of all evil like many others do. I certainly dont need protecting from the internet. Then again if I did I doubt I would be ten years into an I.T. career right now.

What I do know is' date=' firefox is quicker at displaying webpages and provides some pretty nifty extensions that you cant get in ie. This alone is why I use it. Everyone else for all I care can sit and wait for a page request to reach their desired browser. I will be happily surfing around while they wait.[/quote']

that wasn't particularly posted in your direction. whenever i've installed firefox, i've found it slower than ie, particularly when loading graphics :confused:

and ten years into an I.T. career? well, colour me suitably impressed...:rolleyes:

what plugins does FF have that IE doesn't out of interest?

all sorts mate. Anyone can write an extension for it and for anything they want. Theres a particularly good ad blocker that stops adds appearing on the page your reading. Also anyone who uses googlemail can get a little envelope in the bottrom corner that shows them when new mail arrives. Also theres another one I use that brings up links on the quicktime trailer site so you can download them instead of having to stream them. all pretty good, but theres loads more.

that wasn't particularly posted in your direction. whenever i've installed firefox' date=' i've found it slower than ie, particularly when loading graphics :confused:

and ten years into an I.T. career? well, colour me suitably impressed...:rolleyes:[/quote']

Well I did assume you were addressing me as you quoted my post. Silly me.