Another GPS update issue

Hi everyone!

i must’ve read every infotainment thread here but can’t seem to find the answer to my issue.

i believe i have an MIB1 Columbus, but can’t find my code listed to verify.

i have an MY15 VRs, CD slot and 2 SD slots in the glovebox, no SD card provided with the car.

details of the unit attached below.

downloaded the latest maps, extracted to a freshly FAT32 formatted 32gb class10 card, (copied extracted file and also tried directly extracting to the SD) but keep getting an error that it doesn’t recognise the data.

am i missing something?

C44CA88E-4C1C-4BF0-A0F1-46482B09930A.jpeg

I came here to resolve this same issue, I too have a 2015 Columbus MIB1 unit, and i too have the same map version as you! I haven't yet tried the update on the SD card (had to order a SD card reader as mines is broken).

I have been doing some reading and there could be a 'gottcha' that we run into. I don't fully understand the whole thing yet but it seems that there may be a limit as to how far we can update our maps, seems there was something called 'Mapcare' which Skoda used and allowed you get free maps X number of years into the future and once you passed that point you were stuffed. They have since abandoned that service and i'm not sure if we can update now, i asked my dealer about map updates but they never respond to email and i haven't been called back twice now by the,.

Things i have read is that you need to put all the files in the SD cards root, and leave all the files as 'as is' but beyond that, i'm not sure..

I've downloaded the 2020 maps and am going to try that update this weekend too to see how i get on... will keep you posted

I remember another thread that had the same problems with the updates not working; its in essence one of two possible problems.

1) The firmware of the MIB system is stopping you from updating the maps

2) VW stopped supporting the MIB1 last year, so the 2020 maps were the same as the 2019 maps.

As to fixing this; you could try to see if you can get hold of a firmware update - @pab567 is your man who can hopefully advise here.  Failing that, you are into a new MIB2 system (or a rebuilt unit that is made into a MIB2.5 unit) with a new head unit and touch screen.  What you will need is an admap scan of your car of the appropriate 5F module, send it to @pab567 who can hopefully build you a new system.  The touch screens will need to be ordered directly from Skoda UK.  Please see the following thread for information:

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Thanks 2

When extracting does it show just one master folder on the sd card or has it copied all the contents of the main folder? I had this issue when updating, so I opened the main folder and copied the contents of the folder to the SD card and it worked.

From memory, the card has the metinfo.txt file and 2 folders, MIB1 and MIB2 in the root folder.

if i need to copy the contents of mib1 into the root folder that might explain it, but that doesn’t seem to align with the instructions?

got a pic of the error message on the unit and hopefully a good enough shot to confirm it’s a columbus mib1

B1969E4E-B07F-4AEB-BF46-119F07174F90.jpeg

If the above situation is confirmed, I’d also be interested to know if an older version is available like ROW2019 that’s within in mapcare date range and may work.

20 minutes ago, Mr_Bob said:

From memory, the card has the metinfo.txt file and 2 folders, MIB1 and MIB2 in the root folder.

if i need to copy the contents of mib1 into the root folder that might explain it, but that doesn’t seem to align with the instructions?

got a pic of the error message on the unit and hopefully a good enough shot to confirm it’s a columbus mib1

B1969E4E-B07F-4AEB-BF46-119F07174F90.jpeg

In your first Pic you had the Device Number on screen which says it is indeed a Columbus MIB1, i had read (although again, not tried it myself) that you need to copy the 2 folders MIB1 and MIB2 plus the meta file on the SD Card and it does it's thing.

I did read in one of the other posts on here (search for "MIB1 maps" in the Octavia 3 forum) that there was a comment that said if you were past firmware version 411 then you can't update, but not sure if that was confirmed or not though... :(

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 08:50, Mr_Bob said:

this is what i've got in the root folder of the SD card:
image.png.ea7ca8a90c9dee9e2601161808ef5588.png

image.png

So i got my SD card today and copied the data over to it and gave it a go today, I had the same issue as yourself, i did note that after i'd tried to update the software it wrote a new file to the folder. I also tried moving some of the files around so it was just the content of the MIB1 folder and that didn't work either. :(

I'm going to see if i can update to an older version of the ROW maps, it seems like all the older map updates are still on the Skoda server so if i can get teh file name i will download one and see if it works. my Maps are 2015 so even if i can get to 2019 that would be a big help...

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a MIB2.5 but they're not cheap and i think tehy need to get some coding done too and i don't know of anyone in Sydney that might be able to do it.

• 1 year later...
On 02/07/2021 at 08:53, Blairyc said:

I'm going to see if i can update to an older version of the ROW maps, it seems like all the older map updates are still on the Skoda server so if i can get teh file name i will download one and see if it works. my Maps are 2015 so even if i can get to 2019 that would be a big help...

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a MIB2.5 but they're not cheap and i think tehy need to get some coding done too and i don't know of anyone in Sydney that might be able to do it.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have run into the same problem, although my maps are stuck in 2013! Cheers :)

Sadly no, in the end I went down a different path and bought an aftermarket wireless Apple CarPlay box that sits under the dash and plugs into the MIB1. Now I just use my usual phone apps for the maps. A lot less hassle as it got ‘too hard’ to figure out. 

45 minutes ago, Blairyc said:

Sadly no, in the end I went down a different path and bought an aftermarket wireless Apple CarPlay box that sits under the dash and plugs into the MIB1. Now I just use my usual phone apps for the maps. A lot less hassle as it got ‘too hard’ to figure out. 

Mind it i ask what device you got?