Advice on Yeti please before i buy.

Lee_D

Only 2015 onwards, Euro 6 Yetis use AdBlue.  I wouldn't consider it to be in any way, "dreaded", however.  

• Like 2

Why is it dreaded? Given the choice I'd rather have a Euro6 CR150 than a dieselgate CR140 / CR170 model.

Edited by Nick P
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nick P said:

Why is it dreaded? Given the choice I'd rather have a Euro6 CR150 than a dieselgate CR140 / CR170 model.

Hi Nick, i`ve just heard a lot of bad things about AdBlue like faulty pumps and leaks but mainly on VW. 

Nobody ever starts a thread saying that any aspect of their car is faultless - pretty much all you ever see is people reporting things going wrong.  It's just the way it is.

FWIW I've had no problems with the AdBlue system on my car to date.  Just topped it up this afternoon, in fact.  Dead easy and spill-free if you use the VAG dispenser bottle (but refill it with AdBlue from  a supermarket or car accessory place that's doing big cartons on special offer).

2 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Nobody ever starts a thread saying that any aspect of their car is faultless - pretty much all you ever see is people reporting things going wrong.  It's just the way it is.

FWIW I've had no problems with the AdBlue system on my car to date.  Just topped it up this afternoon, in fact.  Dead easy and spill-free if you use the VAG dispenser bottle (but refill it with AdBlue from  a supermarket or car accessory place that's doing big cartons on special offer).

Thanks for that Ej. Also how do you get on with the dsg as im debating on dsg or manual as a lot of my mileage is around the town. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Lee_D said:

how do you get on with the dsg

I generally leave the DSG to do its stuff without interference, which it does in a satisfyingly unobtrusive way.  I only ever use the manual shift to select low gears for engine braking on long, steep hills.  I use sport mode even less frequently, usually when I'm stuck behind a slowcoach on a twisty road and I need to have quick access to lower gears when an overtaking opportunity arises.

Hi Lee and welcome to Briskoda.

I've owned both manual and DSG Skodas and have to say I prefer DSG.  My only criticism of DSG is the half-second delay between release of the brake pedal and auto-engagement of the clutch.  This can make for jerky progress in stop-start traffic until you get used to it - which doesn't take long!  Release the brake pedal, wait half a second for the clutch to engage, then press accelerator and progress is smooth.

I see you are looking for a diesel Yeti.  Diesel Yetis have 6 speed wet clutch DSGs, which are generally considered more reliable than the 7 speed dry clutch DSGs fitted to 1.2 petrol Yetis.

Thanks for that Rob. I have decided to go for a 2016+ 150 2.0tdi dsg. Looking at one today with 26k. Hopefully it hasn`t got a sunroof. If i buy it i will then think about a engine remap and also dsg remap. No doubt the wife will want a caravan then lol.

9 hours ago, Lee_D said:

Thanks for that Rob. I have decided to go for a 2016+ 150 2.0tdi dsg. Looking at one today with 26k. Hopefully it hasn`t got a sunroof. If i buy it i will then think about a engine remap and also dsg remap. No doubt the wife will want a caravan then lol.

Having owned 3 yetis, ran another for a few months and driven several. Petrol/diesel, auto/manual.

The 2.0Tdi 150 DSG is the best model.

Caravan wise, 2100kg max tow, 1585kg kerbweight (Actual 1640kg on weighbridge) so comfortable towing upto 1600kg in my opinion. (I tow 1500kg)

Make sure cambelt and waterpump done on 5 year service, make sure DSG serviced every 40k miles and make sure haldex serviced every 3 years (Including cleaning pump mesh).

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Having owned 3 yetis, ran another for a few months and driven several. Petrol/diesel, auto/manual.

The 2.0Tdi 150 DSG is the best model.

Caravan wise, 2100kg max tow, 1585kg kerbweight (Actual 1640kg on weighbridge) so comfortable towing upto 1600kg in my opinion. (I tow 1500kg)

Make sure cambelt and waterpump done on 5 year service, make sure DSG serviced every 40k miles and make sure haldex serviced every 3 years (Including cleaning pump mesh).

Well, thank you all for the help and advice. I finally bought a Yeti from my local Skoda dealer today. 2017 SE Drive Outdoor2.0tdi 150 DSG with 24k miles and service history. It has 2 years warranty with it :) 

Screenshot_2.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lee_D said:

Well, thank you all for the help and advice. I finally bought a Yeti from my local Skoda dealer today. 2017 SE Drive Outdoor2.0tdi 150 DSG with 24k miles and service history. It has 2 years warranty with it :) 

I currently have a 2017 2.0TDi 150 4x4 DSG L&K with 22k miles so fairly similar.

Yours should have had haldex service last year so check it's been done.  Cambelt and waterpump will be next year so budget for that it's £600 at Skoda + Service cost.  

16 hours ago, logiclee said:

I currently have a 2017 2.0TDi 150 4x4 DSG L&K with 22k miles so fairly similar.

Yours should have had haldex service last year so check it's been done.  Cambelt and waterpump will be next year so budget for that it's £600 at Skoda + Service cost.  

Cheers Lee. i have asked the Skoda dealer this morning to check to see if the Haldex and Dsg have been done as i dont pick it up till next week.

2 hours ago, Lee_D said:

i have asked the Skoda dealer this morning to check to see if the Haldex and Dsg have been done

Even if the car's service history says it's had the Haldex service 'done', you need if possible to ask the dealer to confirm whether that included cleaning the filter.  This is not included in Skoda's list of actions for a Haldex service (or any other VAG manufacturer's, AFAIK - although other manufacturers e.g. AIUI Volvo do include it) but if not done it can all too easily lead to the Haldex not working (perhaps strictly speaking it gets disabled) because the car thinks that the Haldex clutch pump is faulty (when it may just be gummed up with crud).  The net result is that you end up with a 2WD Yeti, and potentially a bill for a new Haldex clutch pump to get the 4WD working again (been there, done that).

There are numerous threads on this forum and elsewhere about the issue.  These two threads on the Yeti forum as an example:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/463463-check-your-haldex-pump-people/?tab=comments#comment-5202503

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/440020-haldex-clutch-pump-error/?tab=comments#comment-4947117

The clutch pump error can be detected using an app like Torque Pro or Carista on a smartphone, with a compatible bluetooth ODBII adapter plugged in to the diagnostic port under the dash on the driver's side.  (If you use the Carista app, they will also sell you an adapter that is guaranteed to work.  Many of the cheaper adapters on eBay and Amazon will also work just fine, though it can be a bit of pot luck finding one that does - it's important to check the item description so you can send it back if it turns out not to support the necessary bits of functionality within the overall ODB II protocol spec.  I use an Android App called ELM327 Identifier to check which bits of the ODBII protocol spec any given adapter does actually support.)

If your Skoda dealer can't/won't confirm that the filter was checked, and cleaned if necessary - or refuses to accept that it is necessary at all (unfortunately not at all uncommon) - then I'd be inclined to get the Haldex serviced at an independent garage that does know about the issue, and what to do about it.  Or at least furnish yourself with the necessary ODBII adapter and app to check for the error if you start to suspect that the Haldex is not functioning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee_D said:

Cheers Lee. i have asked the Skoda dealer this morning to check to see if the Haldex and Dsg have been done as i dont pick it up till next week.

As you are on 24k miles the DSG will not have been done yet.

On 12/07/2021 at 16:36, logiclee said:

As you are on 24k miles the DSG will not have been done yet.

According to Briskoda member e-Roottoot, the service interval on the Haldex is now three years:

So it should have been done last year on Lee_D's 2017 car.  My 2017 Yeti was due (and got) its Haldex service last year despite having done a lot less than 30,000 miles (it was low mileage when I got it, and then lockdown happened...)

I did mine 'in house' earlier this year, my local independant tried to assure me it didn't need anything doing apart from an oil change, info via a Skoda dealership some distance away.

I had been trying to get it done round and about, always the same response, so as above I did it,68k and 7 years, first time it had been done, filter a little clogged, oil black, Haldex 4 , after having done it a trial on a local beach confirmed the system still works,  sand thrown up by all wheels!

I think I will again be doing it myself next time, although I might by that time have my harp and wings!!

Hi,

Congratulations on your Yeti purchase Lee_D and the best of luck with it for the future.

Our 2.0L diesel SE L 2016 has just had it's full 5 year service; cam belt; water pump; brake fluid and MOT by DMK Wakefield who were excellent collecting and returning it. Total cost £896 which is a vast saving on trading in again for a new car. We're now set up for another years Yeti motoring with a smile on our face; we love our Yeti. Our Yeti is always main dealer serviced for peace of mind whatever the cost.

Kind regards, Colin.

7 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

According to Briskoda member e-Roottoot, the service interval on the Haldex is now three years:

So it should have been done last year on Lee_D's 2017 car.  My 2017 Yeti was due (and got) its Haldex service last year despite having done a lot less than 30,000 miles (it was low mileage when I got it, and then lockdown happened...)

Yes haldex is three years.

But I didn't say haldex, I said DSG.

image.png.6cf1140efb917eb738f04ac06913a721.png

Edited by logiclee

On 11/07/2021 at 19:04, Lee_D said:

Just a quick update, unfortunately i had to cancel the purchase in the end due to personal circumstances and the dealer returned my deposit of £500. Anyway, i am now on the lookout for a 170ps L&K Manual or a black edition, pref in black, white or brown with no sunroof.