Software

Am new on here and read most of the posts,am awaiting arrival of a Octavia 4x4 vrs diesel estate car.up to a few days ago there was a lot of chat about problems with the software.in the last few days it has gone very quiet so are the new updates starting to work on cars?cheers

7 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

Am new on here and read most of the posts,am awaiting arrival of a Octavia 4x4 vrs diesel estate car.up to a few days ago there was a lot of chat about problems with the software.in the last few days it has gone very quiet so are the new updates starting to work on cars?cheers

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, I reckon it’s just that many of us are awaiting a significant update which frustratingly is not materialising. Meanwhile we’re driving loan or hire vehicles which are working fine. Ongoing niggles/annoyances/bugs in things like the ACC & KESSEY continue to be commented on however.

My tsi vRS was registered end of April.

I have the problem with aircon refusing to remember settings. I also have intermittent problem with the ACC refusing to allow me to overtake a car to my left. This in my eyes is the most worrying/dangerous.

I don't have a problem with KESSY (didn't know there was one to be honest) and don't use the car satnav so no idea if it forgets stuff.

It's slightly annoying when you check the centre screen and notice there are no icons present for temp or heated seats as it's crashed but it always comes back on restart.

On the whole, for me they are niggling faults that shouldn't be there however, would I still buy the same car now knowing the problems?

OH YES. The driving experience and look of the car go a long way to make up for the problems. 

Edited by GreenlineIIEstate
typo

11 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

There have been some improvements to the software since the start. I've not had as many issues with the aircon/climate control. But overtaking is a pain with ACC similar to what GreenlineIIEstate mentioned. Although the interface is less glitchy, it does take some getting used to. I personally still find it annoying to use - I have to wait till I'm on a clearer bit of road before touching the aircon, radio etc. Like most people, we all like a knob or two. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why there are complaints about the lack of hard-wired controls. The voice command does most things such as changing the aircon settings, setting a satnav destination and so on, whilst as an alternative the aircon adjustment is on the bottom right of the screen and takes an instant to change without taking the eyes off the road.

I am looking forward to seeing that. I expected it would be very helpful but it did not work in my car as delivered and 6 weeks later I am still waiting for them to get the parts to fix it.

Meanwhile can you point us to a source of information of exact phrases that work.

Or perhaps provide a list of your own?

Particularly what one can say to the aircon.

Can you say "Set Fan to High" ?

Or "Set fan to fifty percent"?

Or "Set aircon Sync ON"?

Or "Set temperature to twenty-three"?

Edited by DaveFromSydney
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how to activate the car voice control when using CarPlay? All I get is Siri - great for getting music or setting a destination but can’t change AirCon settings or the radio.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mark Hiscock said:

You can single press for Skoda voice assistant and long press for Android voice assistant - just in case anyone hadn't stumbled across this.

That IS good to know. I look forward to trying it out - if they can get my Skoda voice assistant working. Since delivery it just gets stuck on "Loading Voice Control". After software updates that did nothing they have ordered a new infotainment control unit.

• Like 1

The voice assistant accepts plain speech commands. For example 'set driver's temperature to 20 degrees'. I use the button on the LH side of the steering wheel, but 'Hey Laura' also activates speech control.

Thanks Jim but I recall that stuff from the manual.

I guess I will have to try it out myself when the fix is installed.

It just seems it would be helpful if there was a list of sentences that work - such as is provided by Google for their assistant.

I really do not know how tolerant it is of different ways of expressing the same thoughts in English, e.g. "make me two degrees warmer" vs "increase driver temperature to twenty two" etc.

And can it also do stuff like defrost rear window, or defrost windscreen, or stop those things, or set fan to maximum, or turn recirculation on or off, or direct air to upper or lower vents etc.

Or control seat heating, or mirror heating.

Or turn auto/stop on or off. Or lane assist etc.

Or go from Android Auto to station XYZ on DAB radio.

Or pause media playback.

The list of possibilities is extensive but all I know so far is that it can probably set an explicit temperature.

I have used it to turn on seat heating, increase temperature - both independently for driver and passenger. That was in the few weeks I have my SE L FE before leaving at the dealer for three months! Not tried it with the loan car; in fact not sure now if the SE FE includes voice control or not! Something to look up later…

6 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Thanks Jim but I recall that stuff from the manual.

I guess I will have to try it out myself when the fix is installed.

It just seems it would be helpful if there was a list of sentences that work - such as is provided by Google for their assistant.

I really do not know how tolerant it is of different ways of expressing the same thoughts in English, e.g. "make me two degrees warmer" vs "increase driver temperature to twenty two" etc.

And can it also do stuff like defrost rear window, or defrost windscreen, or stop those things, or set fan to maximum, or turn recirculation on or off, or direct air to upper or lower vents etc.

Or control seat heating, or mirror heating.

Or turn auto/stop on or off. Or lane assist etc.

Or go from Android Auto to station XYZ on DAB radio.

Or pause media playback.

The list of possibilities is extensive but all I know so far is that it can probably set an explicit temperature.

Hi Dave i'll do some tests and report back in a few days, mainly to test how precise the commands need to be. It's been 30 degrees here in Whitby, so the aircon has been hard at work!

22 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

I am looking forward to seeing that. I expected it would be very helpful but it did not work in my car as delivered and 6 weeks later I am still waiting for them to get the parts to fix it.

Meanwhile can you point us to a source of information of exact phrases that work.

Or perhaps provide a list of your own?

Particularly what one can say to the aircon.

Can you say "Set Fan to High" ?

Or "Set fan to fifty percent"?

Or "Set aircon Sync ON"?

Or "Set temperature to twenty-three"?

A phrase list would be a good idea. I wish it worked more like google/alexa so that it understands however you say a command. 

According to this from the downloaded manual it should recognise free speech, I'm guessing that means it determines what you are asking it without set phrases per se ?

Here in Oz our cars are not 'online' though 

Screenshot_20210721-230352_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Kodatheskoda
Update clarity

Been off here for a while, but just checking in as the software on my car is a disaster so wanted to see if anyone had any solutions. Software was updated at the dealers a couple of months back following numerous issues, improved for a little bit but now is worse than ever. Every day for the last 2 weeks there has been at least one issue. Park assist errors (rear sensors intermittently not working), front assist warning messages, seatbelt pre tensioner warnings, unresponsive infotainment screen where nothing works at all, CarPlay not connecting, radio stations wiped, no sound from stereo, rear passenger compartment interior light coming on on its own and staying on, steering wheel controls not working, refusing to switch between connected phones, infotainment system restarting and then getting stuck on spinning wheel, the car is a mess. I’ll be calling the dealer again on Monday when back from holiday and also contacting VWFS as the lease company, this is genuinely the worst car I’ve ever had. Not good when on holiday wanting to go to unfamiliar places and having no idea which bit of the car is not going to work on any given day. The only positive is it’s on a short 2 year lease so in just over 14 months I’ll be arranging to give the stupid thing back and never going near any VAG car with this system again.

@davefromsydney I went to the mySkoda app on my phone, once you have registered the car with the VIN it appears in your 'garage'. Clicking on the 3 dots at top right you can select manuals and load it from there

Edited by Kodatheskoda
Correction