Octavia iV Estate - flat 12v battery

Just now, roottoot said:

@PhevFunLifeBest do your research then before committing & be aware that even BEV's can suffer from flat 12V batteries and that is not only VW Group ones.  

I know, but starting is lighter in that case requiring less power with small battery pack.

Also, below -20 the EVSs should perform better.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PhevFunLife said:

below -20 the EVSs should perform better

Hmm... could you give us more hints? ...better in what way, which parameters? Afaik -20s regime is well outside the EV's comfort zone.

By the way, where do you mostly use you car - that makes you worry so much about very cold weather, even below -20?

• Like 1

@PhevFunLife

When you are locked out and the EV can not start you are locked out.

No idea what you mean about the -20, is that degrees celsius?     The 12v batteries on some are flat when the weather is not freezing. 

PS

I see now you are in Finland.

?

What EV is it you have in mind?

Edited by roottoot

3 hours ago, roottoot said:

@PhevFunLife

When you are locked out and the EV can not start you are locked out.

No idea what you mean about the -20, is that degrees celsius?     The 12v batteries on some are flat when the weather is not freezing. 

PS

I see now you are in Finland.

?

What EV is it you have in mind?

Well ok the 12V is not related to temps, but the management.

-20 celsius, yes, and got a lot of it last winter.

The EV can be started with small 100 eur lithium pack, compared to the huge booster needed for PHEV.

The winter conditions here suggest that EV will be more reliable than PHEV with cold motor.

• 2 months later...

Just back from 3 weeks away and my Skoda Superb was dead

I managed to get in with the emergency key and opened the bonnet, and after calling the AA, the AA man started it and I drove it down the road as recommended in sport mode thinking it was charging the 12 volt battery. However I got back switched off and back on and it was dead again. The AA man said to call Skoda Assist who arrived and did the same check but put his jump leads on the 12volt  battery in the back left side that was down to 8 volts and left it there for a while to bing the voltage up, this worked and I hope I have enough to start in the morning. 

What I wold like to understand is why the battery was so low when there is a 400volt battery that is at 80% to keep it topped up.

The 12v battery and the HV battery are quite independent of each other. The Octavia iV manual says that the 12v is charged when the HV battery is charged. That is not true. I have complained about this to two dealers and Skoda Customer Services; all I get is blank looks. For 12 years I have used CTEK battery charger/conditioner on two sports cars. Now I use it on my Octavia when I know it is not going to be used over, for example, the next 2/3 days. This is what I have https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/ct5-time-to-go-uk . It gives good reassurance, but the need for this on a new car leaves me very irritated.

On a related matter, did you know that 2021 Octavia iVs and Superb iVs are subject to a safety recall? From elsewhere in these pages there is this - Skoda will recall about 22,000 Superb iV and Octavia iV plug-in hybrid model year 2021. Seat plug-in hybrids are also affected. The reason behind this recall has been detected as an insufficient insulated high-voltage battery in the plug-in hybrid models. There are chances of the battery getting heated up which can lead to fire due to the inadequate insulation. Volkswagen has issued a statement clarifying the situation: “During extensive reviews, Volkswagen discovered that a fuse in the drive system of some plug-in hybrid vehicles can be defective in individual cases. In the worst case, this can mean that this fuse does not work properly in the event of an overvoltage.” The repair needed to fix the problem is the installation of an insulating material in the high voltage battery fuse box. The procedure will mean little waiting time for affected customers, who will be informed and invited to go through the official service.

And, relating to your query, this "...the 27J6 service campaign, which replaces the battery control module and is meant to rectify occasions where the 12v battery is being depleted, part of this involves a firmware update. This came out on 21st March". My car is going to a dealer at the end of June for 2 days to allow this work to be carried out. But be aware that, unbelievably, only a few dealers have been trained to work on the HV battery. My nearest two dealers are not qualified, so I will have a round-trip (twice) of 64 miles to get this done - and they, who have caused this problem, want to charge me £22 for the "courtesy" car. I feel an argument coming on...

Edited by Sir_Ron_Norris
  • Like 1

I tested with a voltmeter on my Octavia iV - the HV battery will trickle charge the 12V battery, but only if the ignition is on or the HV battery is charging.  The problem that I had, was that the radiator fan was coming on full when the HV battery was charging. This fan runs from the 12v battery, and was taking power faster than the trickle charge was replacing it, so once it goes below a certain level you can’t turn on the ignition to balance between the two batteries. The recall fixed it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced my forth 12v battery failure, in ten months of ownership, this past weekend. Needless to say I have contacted VWFS to start the rejection process. :swear:

@roottoot The car has been back to the dealership on four separate occasions following the original 'fix' to the 12 volt battery issue last October. The most recent of which was just six weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to the first paragraph of my May 30 post, above, I thought it might be useful to some to see how I maintain the 12v battery. Of course, this only works if you have a garage with access to power. Being retired, the car can often go several days without being used so, every time after use, the car is garaged and then the CTEK device is plugged in, connected to the earth and +ve terminals, switched on and left on the ledge below the windscreen. Time left for charging is indicted and then the "Care & Maintenance" light comes on to show battery level is good and being maintained. Been using this compact and efficient system since 2010.CTEK_2.thumb.jpg.9d6d7ac8e1500c5dffc57595e73035a9.jpgCTEK_3.thumb.jpg.aad979c61474cf3e9c376328adeb5110.jpgCTEK_2.thumb.jpg.9d6d7ac8e1500c5dffc57595e73035a9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I collected an 2021 Octavia VRS IV 3 weeks ago as a replacement for a 2021 Octavia VRS petrol that i had nothing but trouble with. guess what! 12V battery keeps going flat. the car has broken down on me about 3 times in 3 weeks and that's with it being back at the dealers for 8 days, they've just collected it again today. 

The car does have a recall on it, the mat (recall code 9305 I believe). apparently there are no other outstanding recalls on the car. Still don't understand how they allowed me to collect a car that has an outstanding recall on it, especially as they knew I was already a disgruntled customer.

Wednesday I have the HV battery on charge. Thursday morning the 12V battery was completely flat, charged until lunchtime when the charger said it was fully charged and managed to get the car to move. By 17:15 the car wouldn't move again with 12V battery low and the host of other errors that happen.

Are others still experiencing this issue? or have they been resolved?

Thanks

Dave

Mine was at the dealers last week for the 9305 recall (HV battery insulating mat) and the 12v battery control module update which, they tell me, means that now the 12v battery is charged when the HV battery is charged. We'll see... . I was surprised to be told that only 8 dealers in the UK are trained to carry out the 9205 recall. But to Dave's query - I can only draw your attention to the photos of the CTEK device above. Unless your 12v battery is completely shot, these units really do work and provide excellent peace of mind. 

• 3 months later...

The12 volt battery discharged overnight down to 4.8v. Using the emergency key to access the bonnet opener, I charged the 12v battery for 18 hours. Several error messages including loss of hill assist, parking sensors etc. Re-booted head unit and all now working. I'll leave the charging cable connected every night from now on.

Jim2015 - I've never heard of the head unit (nothing in the manual). Where is it and how is it re-booted? As I noted above, if my car is idle for several days I leave the CTEK plugged in. If only overnight then I put it in the garage and pop the bonnet  release so, if necessary, I can get into the engine bay with faffing about with the keybit/doorhandle thingy.

The latest frustration is that the infotainment screen keeps telling me the keyfob battery needs replacing - and that in spite of the fact I have just inserted the THIRD brand new battery. I'm content to ignore the "advice", but worried that the car may think the instruction is correct and is waiting to let me down sooner or later with an inoperative key.

I rebooted the head unit (display panel) by holding down the on switch until the display disappeared. The car will be booked in by the garage when the battery fire-proof mat can be done at the same time. For now, I'll be leaving the 400v charging cable connected overnight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the recent fault with the 12v battery, which discharged overnight, I've plugged the main charger in every night. However, I noticed a couple of days ago that the 12v battery voltage had dropped to 11.5 volts overnight, whilst the 400v battery was at 99%. What I suspect is that when the 400v battery is fully charged, the 12v battery is no longer charged separately. Can anyone confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

My car has this problem which should be resolved by the 27j6 update.

However Skoda Portugal are saying that the update is not available in Portugal. 

Has anyone not in the UK had this problem, and subsequently had the update applied?

Thanks 

• 1 month later...

Despite having had the 27j6 update, my 12 volt battery is still discharging. The car has refused to start on two occasions. Can I ask if anyone has actually found a permanent solution to the problem? I don´t even get a warning any more that the 12 volt battery is low, the first indication that I have a problem is when the car fails to start.

I am hoping that a new 12 volt battery will solve the problem, but my dealer is refusing to change this under warranty. Has anyone had a battery replaced under warranty?

Such a shame as it is a great car.

video of the latest failure

Edited by rmills