VW Arteon Shooting Brake Arrival Means Goodbye Skoda (kinda!)

Cubbington

Hi All,

After 3 years of owning my Octavia, it's time to bid farewell to it with the arrival of my first company car in over 15 years...the new VW Arteon Shooting Brake eHybrid R Line :biggrin:

I'll still lurk around, as there are many very helpful and friendly people on here.

The car's not disappearing, as a mate of mine has bought it and I believe he's already set up a user account on here.

Thanks to all those who have offered advice when I've needed help, and I hope I've been able to help others too :)

Cheers,

Nick

Arteon Front 1.JPG

Arteon Front Side.JPG

Arteon Rear Side.jpg

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

its what the passat should be ;)

To be fair, I think the Passat is more practical overall, but the Arteon tugs more at the heart than the head, and it's still got a massive boot :rofl:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely car! How does it compare to the Octavia? Been looking at Arteons as a potential replacement for my VRS. They look incredible imo and there's something a bit left field and uncommon about them, don't see many about.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 17:04, ahenners said:

Lovely car! How does it compare to the Octavia? Been looking at Arteons as a potential replacement for my VRS. They look incredible imo and there's something a bit left field and uncommon about them, don't see many about.

Thanks @ahenners!

I’ve had it for just under a month now, and absolutely love it. 

When I test drove it (albeit the 190bhp petrol), it just felt natural after coming from the Octavia.

We all know the VAG hierarchy, so it does have a lot more squishier plastics all round the cabin, and it’s certainly a lot quieter even after all the work I did on the Octavia…To be fair, I do spec the ‘Acoustic Pack’, which gives double-glazed front windows and additional sound deadening.

I also went for the nappa leather interior and 360 degree camera, so it is a lovely to place to be in.

It’s a very different drive to the Octavia, taking a very relaxed approach, certainly not a driver’s car, but for munching miles it’s bang on. The thing I do miss is the Octavia’s gargantuan boot! The Arteon’s is longer, but the rear seats I think are more laid back, and the boot is 20cm shallower with it’s hybrid battery under the boot floor - I had the perfect Tetris setup with my dive gear in the Octavia, so need to work that out again 😅

Fuel economy is good for such a big car too; we came back from a week in Ardnamurchan yesterday (no phone signal and very intermittent internet there), it managed 43.5mpg over 488 miles with a week’s luggage and two kayaks on the roof. We charged it before we left and got a quick charge in a service station giving about 30 EV miles total.

The hybrid system is excellent, as it works with the inbuilt Satnav (which I think get’s it’s traffic data from Google maps), and shuffles seamlessly between ICE and EV depending on whether you’re on the motorway or in an urban area. This is the first car I’ve driven where stop/start actually makes sense.

And finally, I love the fact that they are rare - I’ve seen a maximum of 5 of the hatchback on the road since I’ve had it, and no shooting brakes, so I’ll be gutted when I see another for the first time 😂 We got caught in a few traffic jams on the way up and down from Scotland and the amount of people taking a second look was funny.

On 29/08/2021 at 18:43, VRS_White_Hatch said:

They do a 4x4 beast too I was looking at to replace the VRS but the price made me wince. Lovely cars.

Thanks @VRS_White_Hatch , regards to price, yes, it is expensive, but it’s a company lease, and believe it or not, when I specced up a Superb as closely as possible, the cash price of the Superb was slightly less, but the lease price was almost 10% more than the Arteon!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Cubbington
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2021 at 08:10, Cubbington said:

Thanks @VRS_White_Hatch , regards to price, yes, it is expensive, but it’s a company lease, and believe it or not, when I specced up a Superb as closely as possible, the cash price of the Superb was slightly less, but the lease price was almost 10% more than the Arteon!

Cheers,

Nick

I suppose that reflects the higher depreciation of a high spec Skoda compared to a similar VW, The extra lease charge probably represents the vehicle value upon return.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 16:41, VRS_White_Hatch said:

I suppose that reflects the higher depreciation of a high spec Skoda compared to a similar VW, The extra lease charge probably represents the vehicle value upon return.

Yep...a very highly specced Land Rover Discovery Sport was only £40 more a month than the Superb...

Edited by Cubbington

High depreciation is the bain for the new vehicle buyer, but a delight for the used. I know the Insignia leaves a lot to be desired for example, but if you were looking for a 2 yr old vehicle in that class then the sky high depreciation makes it very desireable for the private buyer. I wonder what the highest and lowest depreciating (mainstream) vehicles are at the mo?