windscreen wipers juddering

Heat

Hi,   lately i have noticed my windscreen wipers are very "juddery"   if that's a word?  

When it's raining they go up ok....but coming down they "Judder"  ie  not smooth, kind of bounce about.

I've tried cleaning the blades, and even wiped the while windscreen.  but its still happening. 

Assuming these are the originals, how many miles have you done ? if it's a lot, maybe they are just wearing out.

Have you bent the arms at all ?

I've had success by giving the blades a good rub with with Scotchbrite or the Scotchbrite side of a kitchen sponge. Failing that, just replace them because they're a wear and tear item, so a dealer won't do it unless you're a very valued customer.

Another thing that occurs to me; is your car left unused for longish periods, or to put it another way, do your wipers not get used very often ?

Also, does the juddering occur all the time when you're driving in the rain. or is it just for the first minute or two ?

If the wipers get little use they will dry out and become brittle and that can cause juddering until they've softened up a bit after a little use in the rain. My wifes previous car used to do this and some makes of wiper will be more prone than others.

Mine juddered but that was because my dealer did a very shoddy job of prepping our new car for sale. I find if you go over the whole windscreen with tar and glue remover then use fairy liquid after and this removes all juddering

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. 

Just clocked 5000 miles. 

This includes a recent 2 week holiday to Scotland.

I will try the Scotchbrite & Tar/glue remover options in next day or so. 

Will post once i've done this when next rainfall while driving happens.

cheers

My experience with VW group standard fit wiper blades is they are rubbish.  My last car which was a Seat Ibiza the blades streaked and juddered all the time, by Kamiq and my dads Karoq is the same and his previous VW passat was the same.  I bought some cheap replacement rubbers on Ebay used the same holders and what a difference.  If you want to buy whole new blades then the best ones I have ever had was the Bosch Aero Twin. 

14 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

My experience with VW group standard fit wiper blades is they are rubbish.  My last car which was a Seat Ibiza the blades streaked and juddered all the time, by Kamiq and my dads Karoq is the same and his previous VW passat was the same.  I bought some cheap replacement rubbers on Ebay used the same holders and what a difference.  If you want to buy whole new blades then the best ones I have ever had was the Bosch Aero Twin. 

I second the Bosch Aerotwin, there is also a Bosch Icon that is supposed to be good in ice and snow.

Had similar problem on rear window on another Skoda, wiper juddering and noisy, changed to a Bosch rear wiper blade and problem instantly fixed.

So another vote for Bosch wipers

I have tried the scotchbrite  & tar glue remover.... 

Took care out in rain today, its still Juddering like ****  ( sorry for languange)

I have the car booked in for it's first service couple of weeks. I have made this issue aware with them

Oherwise its Bosch 

On 10/08/2021 at 18:24, matchbox said:

Strangely nobody seems to list replacement wipers for the Kamiq! But they are 65 & 45 cm and I have Aerotwins on order. Even Bosch website doesn’t list them. Wonder why?

Have been told (but not checked) Bosch is A864S for twin pack front and A331H for rear (which is same as on my Seat Arona)

The 65cm (26 inch) is AP26U, and 45cm (18 inch) is AP18U if bought separately 

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for delay in replying....   just bought  Bosch A846S  & A331H  (thanks SurreyJohn)

My Dealer quoted me £49 for new front blades.

on a side note ... when i bought car from new, i bought £159 2 year service pack.

Just had 1st service today ...looking at price they would have charged me  was £149  inc vat

Edited by Heat