Poor DAB reception...

26 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

My DAB reception was pants in places and it turned out to be a poor USB adaptor killing the signal completely in poor signal areas.

USB adaptor? How did you resolve it?

4 hours ago, dohboy78 said:

USB adaptor? How did you resolve it?

Just chucked it away, I now charge a powerbank using the slow car USB and use that to fast charge my phone, no point in trying a new USB plug as it might interfere just as badly.

1 minute ago, NJRJ said:

Just chucked it away, I now charge a powerbank using the slow car USB and use that to fast charge my phone, no point in trying a new USB plug as it might interfere just as badly.

That's a really good shout, I have a similar issue with my vRS Octy 3, didn't consider taking the USB charger out of the ciggie lighter.

16 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

I see. I don't currently have anything plugged in to USB...

1 hour ago, dohboy78 said:

I see. I don't currently have anything plugged in to USB...

Just the USB adaptor plugged into the socket was enough it didn't need to be charging anything, might have just been the display LED causing it rather than the charging part.

Edited by NJRJ
Added detail

USB 12V to 5V adapters are famous for causing DAB interference: I had to try several on my previous car until I found a good one. Not an issue if DAB signal is strong, but slightly weaker signal - DAB is killed completely

Hard-wired dashcam eg Nextbase, does not seem to cause any DAB issues - might be that the Nextbase adapter is better designed

1 hour ago, SinglePointSafety said:

USB 12V to 5V adapters are famous for causing DAB interference: I had to try several on my previous car until I found a good one. Not an issue if DAB signal is strong, but slightly weaker signal - DAB is killed completely

Hard-wired dashcam eg Nextbase, does not seem to cause any DAB issues - might be that the Nextbase adapter is better designed

I have none of the above... No USB devices or cables and no camera. Always thought DAB was meant to be strong signal wise.

2 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

That's interesting.  I have problems with DAB signal disappearing.  I also have have a 3-way cigar lighter adapter with a 5v USB outlet.

I have Nextbase cameras front & rear.  At one time, I had a cheapo camera on the back, but it caused terrible interference with FM radio.

• 2 years later...

(yes I know its an old thread but......)

Something Ive noticed with my Superb is that both with DM & DAB the signal drops out much sooner than it did on my old Ceed.

I have the same USB adaptor I had in that and need to fit the Nextbase dashcam, but thats to come.

I was wondering if I could try using something like this (for DAB reception) in the windscreen (I dont have the heated option) as I used in an L200 previously

Autoleads DAB Film Antenna SMB - DAB-AA1 338357

Question is which of these connectors on the back is for the DAB aerial (image "borrowed" from a fleabay listing for a 2018 head unit).
My suspicion is its either the pink or yellow FAKRA style connector

2018 GENUINE SKODA SUPERB MMI MULTIMEDIA RADIO SCREEN 5Q0919605E 5Q0035842C - Picture 5 of 10