Semi conductors

Joss1733

It's not like those chips are the same ones. The shortage seems to be in certain areas, chips are manufactured in all kinds of different sizes and variations of photolithography. The more cutting edge the process is the worse the shortage. Computers and consoles are hitting shortages when it comes to graphics chips and processors, but for example storage and RAM is plentiful. Same with cars, I think some people dug up that the particular chips hindering Octavia production are the ESP ones and I think the camera processing ones, not sure if I'm remembering right at the moment. 

Just what I was reading it said from around 1000 to many thousands which sound a lot.just wonder what each model requires .i have a  Octavia 4x4 vrs estate 200 diesel ordered  just thought how many chips goes into this car .i thought I would ask on here.my last point I wonder why skoda do not chirp in with there thoughts on subjects raised on here.does anyone from skoda ever read the comments? And pass them further up the ladder.

It's a nightmare and hitting right across the board! We're having to redesign the main PCB for products where I work to circumvent shortages on a lot of pretty mundane parts on it. I can only imagine the problems the car industry is dealing with when you consider the number of control modules a modern vehicle has.

• 10 months later...

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-61779614

So the HGV Drivers are striking in South Korea.  Not in looks, just as in industrial actions. 

They have targetted Semiconductor production.

http://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/south-korean-trucker-strike-plans-to-block-shipments-of-materials-for-semiconductors.html

Edited by roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

Covid not only shut down factories making computer chips it drove up the the demand for equipment especially mobile kit like laptops. There is still a massive demand and shortage there.

It takes months to bring a chip factory back up to running speed and years to comission a new one so when there are shortages they tend not to get resolved quickly.

As the global economy starts to tank over the next 18 months demand will start to drop again and chips will become available for cars that no one can afford to buy.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-61905276

Materials, batteries / components, and so much more being an issue for a long time into the future.

If another car was not built for the next 5 years there are plenty sitting around the world for everyone wanting a car.

People own some or many, even collections of hundreds of cars.

There are super rich and just mega wealthy that will always get by,

and people with money to buy even the the rarest of anything. 

There is still no shortage of weapons of mass destruction being manufactured. Or oil & gas coming out of the ground.

Edited by roottoot