Sat Nav memory

Ok so we all have the Sat nav doesn't save our home address or other point of interest. Even with SW 1803 on a D unit my home wont save. 

I have noticed though, that all the destinations i have asked Laura to plot for me are saved. It has also saved regular destinations such as Tesco etc.

So tomorrow i will ask Laura directions to my address. That way it should save and i can then use that when away from home. Some may say , just use Google etc. I have to say i like the sat nav in the Octy and the congestion on roads has been real to life on most occasions. The best bit is when Laura comes on and says that there is congestion ahead without plotting a destination. Don't think Google does that.

Hopefully SKODA will get this sorted as i have no problems other than that with SW 1803.

• Like 1

I'm having the same issues, also on 1803, but I haven't tried using Laura and none of my previous destinations are saved.

Skoda UK did tell me this in an email today:

"They have advised that the Factory are currently working on a software update for the Infotainment System for the maps and for the ACC. Unfortunately, no time- scales when the software update will be released."

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to set my sat nav for a half hour drive, I have never seen such a user unfriendly set up, I used to have a Tom Tom unit which mas intuitive and easy.

Is there a video on setting it up, please

9 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I tried to set my sat nav for a half hour drive, I have never seen such a user unfriendly set up, I used to have a Tom Tom unit which mas intuitive and easy.

Is there a video on setting it up, please

Hmm whats hard with it? Type address and hit go?

What's hard with it? Where to begin...?

• I have found that keying in some addresses results in CANNOT BE FOUND - yet my Garmin and Google Maps on my phone both know the address.
  • Using Laura, I ask to be taken to a town 20 miles way (Beds to Herts). She responds by giving me a map along the M4 and wishing me a pleasant trip to Bristol (that was a previous trip some weeks ago). Several attempts gave the same result.
  • I'd like to be able to set a destination in advance of a journey and save it. Is there a SAVE button? If so, I can't find it.
  • For years I have used my Garmin to navigate by GPS coordinates by first locating the precise location on my iMac using Google Maps, and then inputting the coordinates into Garmin. Never fails. The nearest the Octavia satnav offers me is Lat & Long. This is cumbersome. 
  • None of this can be done in advance, so we have to get in the car 10 minutes ahead of time to allow for all this faffing about.

Perhaps someone can (politely, please) educate me.

1 hour ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

What's hard with it? Where to begin...?

• I have found that keying in some addresses results in CANNOT BE FOUND - yet my Garmin and Google Maps on my phone both know the address.
  • Using Laura, I ask to be taken to a town 20 miles way (Beds to Herts). She responds by giving me a map along the M4 and wishing me a pleasant trip to Bristol (that was a previous trip some weeks ago). Several attempts gave the same result.
  • I'd like to be able to set a destination in advance of a journey and save it. Is there a SAVE button? If so, I can't find it.
  • For years I have used my Garmin to navigate by GPS coordinates by first locating the precise location on my iMac using Google Maps, and then inputting the coordinates into Garmin. Never fails. The nearest the Octavia satnav offers me is Lat & Long. This is cumbersome. 
  • None of this can be done in advance, so we have to get in the car 10 minutes ahead of time to allow for all this faffing about.

Perhaps someone can (politely, please) educate me.

So everything you want could just be solved by using Google Maps and not even bothering with built in sat nav.

Yes, of course - that goes without saying. But, as many have said on these pages, this is something we have paid for and it would be nice if it worked. I am convinced that we are beta-testing these PHEV cars for Skoda and eventually comments/complaints may find their way back to source for fixing.

Our satnav is the best I've ever used. Type in either address or post code and off it goes. I've used voice control to take me to, for example, Morrisons Scarborough and again off we went. The swing bridge in town is closed at times and the other day, with satnav off and about 200 metres away just before the car park I had a spoken warning that the bridge was shut. Very impressive. The only fault is the inability to save favourites but I may have some news soon and will post it in a new thread, if it's successful.

I go walking a lot and since some of the parking locations are too specific for a postcode,  I enter them in advance using the locations long /lat  and save them to favourites with an appropriate name. It saves a lot of issues on the day. Trouble is my 'favourites' is getting very full and I can't work out how to delete the ones I no longer want. Does anyone have any ideas on how to delete entries?

My Kamiq has the MIB3 Sat Nav

On the navigation screen select the symbol with the magnifying glass (ie Search)

A screen pops up with a cursor and text saying ' Enter an address, POI or favourite'

Enter there (for example) 53.740355, -1.417110 (a good parking spot for a nearby establishment for coffee and a  bun)

Underneath, the real address pops up (which I guess it gets from it's maps)

Click on that address

Then select 'More' from the black box in the lower screen.

Click on the Gold Star at the top right of the screen

Enter a suitable name and press OK

Finished. It should now be in your favourites list and can be called up by Laura (or whatever her name is)

Make sure the long/lat is in the correct format ie to 6 decimal places, and that there is a comma and a space after the latitude number.

Also ensure that the longitude has a minus sign if that is appropriate

Finally give the favourite a sensible name that the voice recognition can work with. I once used something like The Big Hotel,Eastbourne and it wouldn't recognise it (presumably because of the comma)

Hope that helps....

Foureyze - OK, tried that, but with only partial success. Think we have different systems (mine is Columbus). Google Maps gave me the destination coordinates which I then input into the SEARCH screen and, indeed, the address popped up. But then as you see from the attached pic, it appears to be asking me to SAVE. But how? There is an OK button, but it is not active. True, at the point of departure I can enter the coordinates and press START - but the problem persists that I can't save the address in advance as a Favourite. 

NavScreen.thumb.jpg.792516928029f94b2cecf8833ac512ac.jpg

5 hours ago, foureyze said:

I go walking a lot and since some of the parking locations are too specific for a postcode,  I enter them in advance using the locations long /lat  and save them to favourites with an appropriate name. It saves a lot of issues on the day. Trouble is my 'favourites' is getting very full and I can't work out how to delete the ones I no longer want. Does anyone have any ideas on how to delete entries?

To delete a favourite, select it, then on the bottom right of the map is a solid white star. Press it and then you are given the option to delete it.

Hmm, the Columbus looks very different to the MIB3 screen in the Kamiq so my instructions will not be much help. I also have a (older) Superb with a Colombus unit that successfully saves to favourites so will have a look at that and see how that may relate to yours. There appears to be quite a lot of versions of satnavs across the VW range and the problems people appear to be having come from different processes for different versions. Knowing exactly what version everyone has might clarify things so that help can be more effective..

Many thanks to Jim2015's suggestion which has solved my 'favourites' deletion problem. On the MIB 3 you select the 'favourite destination' you wish to delete and then press the same gold star that was used to create the favourite in the first place and it offers you the option of deletion!   

I have also noticed that when asking Laura to navigate to a favourite, it's best to put "Favourites" before the destination name ie "Navigate to favourites Cornwall Hotel". This seems to any stop confusion. To me it appears that Laura looks for an address fragment before checking favourites and avoids options that the word Cornwall might bring up.

Finally a photo attached of the MIB3 navigation screen for reference.

MIB3.jpg

Foureyze - Columbus v. MIB3. Yes, different systems. But it does make me wonder why. You have a Kamiq SEL 1.5 June 2021, I have an Octavia SEL 1.4 March 2021. You'd think (well, I would think...) there'd be some standardisation of Infotainment among models so close together. Anyway, you have been very helpful. I have always navigated on GPS coordinates but struggled to get Columbus to accept them. You have shown me; simple when you know how :thumbup: .

7 minutes ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

You'd think (well, I would think...) there'd be some standardisation of Infotainment among models so close together.

Different platforms. New Octavia and Golf and Leon and all the electric models have the new infotainment, because they're all on the new platform. Older platforms have a different infotainment. 

Edited by zetzet

The problem with postcodes is that they can cover a wide geographic area (up to 2 sq miles in some cases) or can be specific to one building (eg B&Q). I understand one postcode in Scotland covers 5,000 residencies. This is why we both prefer long lat as it  pins the location down to a couple of feet (such as a layby on the moors). If I convert my daughters postcode to long/lat it is centred in a nearby field hence why sometimes entering postcodes gives 'off road'. 

All good fun!

On 10/09/2021 at 16:40, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Foureyze - OK, tried that, but with only partial success. Think we have different systems (mine is Columbus). Google Maps gave me the destination coordinates which I then input into the SEARCH screen and, indeed, the address popped up. But then as you see from the attached pic, it appears to be asking me to SAVE. But how? There is an OK button, but it is not active. True, at the point of departure I can enter the coordinates and press START - but the problem persists that I can't save the address in advance as a Favourite. 

NavScreen.thumb.jpg.792516928029f94b2cecf8833ac512ac.jpg

When it asks to SAVE you have to write a name in the text bar e.g. "Bar" and then OK and it will save the destination as "Bar". At least this is how it is done in my Octavia...

Hi all,

Dkyrl's suggestion sounds very reasonable and you appear to be getting nearer to a solution. In a couple of years time we will have resolved all these issues and will be able to sell a book to all the confused Skoda users out there. Trouble is by then all our cars and sat navs will be discontinued!

On 12/09/2021 at 11:59, foureyze said:

The problem with postcodes is that they can cover a wide geographic area (up to 2 sq miles in some cases) or can be specific to one building (eg B&Q). I understand one postcode in Scotland covers 5,000 residencies. This is why we both prefer long lat as it  pins the location down to a couple of feet (such as a layby on the moors). If I convert my daughters postcode to long/lat it is centred in a nearby field hence why sometimes entering postcodes gives 'off road'. 

All good fun!

Stop making excuses for another rotten Skoda system that everyone else has implemented successfully. Yes some postcodes do cover large areas but these are usually in rural locations and the only one I visit is an ex RAF airfield. It is without doubt the worst sat nav I've ever used and can't be trusted. The Columbus in my Superb had its weaknesses but at least you could trust it to take you to whatever postcode was entered. Fortunately this is a company car but why anyone would knowingly pay money for such a dreadful product is beyond me.